This is gonna be a mismatch, who is with me?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Dunky McCafferty, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Dunky McCafferty

Dunky McCafferty Boxing Junkie banned

Aug 24, 2004
    Gomez was such an ******* to Johanneson before, during & after the fight I have little sympathy for him.

I mean, everyone says Gomez is 'such a crazy guy' & all that kind of stuff when hes acting like an ******* t weigh-ins, sticking his head into his opponent. & then people say "Oh its just Gomez playing mind games" No its not. After the fight Gomez skulked off without even going over to Johanesson, which told me hes just an arrogant little git.

Poor show from Gomez, his behaviour in the lead up to this fight & in the immediate aftermath has been a disgrace to the sport. Manhandling Micky Vann? Storming out of the ring without congratulating Carl? Slaughtering Vann in the dressing room afterwards?

Gomez is must watch TV, I have to be honest. But he crossed the line from 'crazy character' to horrible git IMO with his antics these last few days.

2. maka

maka Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 27, 2006

totally agree mate...... thats not sportsmanship.... show no respect, get none back......... i just wish it had been dave "chuffin" parris refereeing, maybe he would have been picassoed.. no such luck eh.:yep

3. rooq

rooq Rooq's Boxing Promoter Full Member

Jan 16, 2007
    that was a boring performance, but not typical from a couple of other ones i've seen where he's had a much better workrate and hasn't spent the whole fight running.

gomez - johanneson was a great fight. i was hoping gomez would come out with a left hook from nowhere but it wasn't going to happen. stoppage was good.

4. Dibbs

Dibbs Active Member Full Member

Sep 10, 2005
    Johanneson is always down to earth even when he loses, the same cannot be said about Gomez, can you imagine the verbal ear bashing viewers would have recieved if Gomez had won. Glad Johanneson got the stoppage, it was well deserved with Mickey Vann ending things at the right time, and while Johanneson was celebrating, Gomez was sulking outside the ring, and that just about sums him up, no sportsmanship at all. Well done Carl.

5. selhurst

selhurst Member Full Member

Mar 5, 2006
    To be fair I bet half of the people on here tuned in because Gomez did such a good job in promoting the fight with his antics. Love him or hate him he is entertaining and boxing lacks characters like him!

I am a big Gomez fan but the stoppage was okay, Carl was about to land another right hand and I think Gomez would have suffered unnecessary punishment. If you watch the replay he was on shaky legs.

As for the 'push' on Vann it was hardly Zab Judah and Gomez probably did the right thing leaving the ring before he lost his temper.

6. RichDam

RichDam Active Member Full Member

Apr 26, 2006
    Great fight. Gomez showed a warrior's heart last night, but he unfortunately was unable to roll back the years against Carl who employed the right tactics.

Johanneson kept his right hand up by his ear for much of the fight which meant Gomez was unable to land any of his left hooks.

Stoppage was okay as Gomez was on shaky legs.

7. Max Molyneux

Max Molyneux Liverpool Liver Tickler Full Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Lol at Maloney calling Gomez a big bully at the weigh In.:D

Never knew Maloney was a trainer though.

8. rydersonthestorm

rydersonthestorm Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Put it this way if fight's keep getting stopped so early we will never have any of the great fight's we have had in the past, i think if a fighter wants to continue and the corner's not pulling him out he should be allowed to continue.

9. Claypole

Claypole Boxing Addict banned

Aug 4, 2007
    I am quite happy to miss out on the more sustained beatings if it means serious injury is avoided.
    Anybody who thought the Gomez stoppage was premature is watching boxing for the wrong reasons.

10. Big Ears

Big Ears Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 5, 2005
    You're the only one who has a problem with the stoppage and yet you were one of the main people defending Khan's stoppage of Lawton(which I thought was a little premature but nothing major) .

Gomez may have been willing to go on , but he was spent , had nothing left only the ability to take a beating for another while until Carl hits him enough that he just can't get up .

He was getting hurt in there , and if Vann didn't step in a suspect he would of been seriously hurt .

11. rydersonthestorm

Sep 27, 2007
    The whole point about kahn vs lawton was that lawton didn't want to continue or fight back, i think it should be upto the fighter if he wants to continue.
    In regards to you fluxstuff go **** yourself you stupid jock *******, i was stating my opinion if you don't agree say so but don't call me stupid, when your obviously not much of intellect comeing up with a response like that, also in england pavlik most likely wouldn't have made it past the second round as the ref would have jumped in.

12. Big Ears

Big Ears Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 5, 2005
    I have to disagree , stoppages should primarily be based on damage taken(of course if a guy doesn't want to continue it should be stopped though) .

Leavander Johnson didn't want to quit but was taking a pasting . Had he been stopped earlier he might be alive today .

Now I'm not saying we become extremely cautious and stop fights at the first sign of danger but the link between fights like Gomez's and Johnson's fights were that both of them really had nothing left and were offering little in resistance .
    Thankfully one of them was stopped in time .

13. rydersonthestorm

Sep 27, 2007
    Do you honestly think if gomez had taken a couple more shots and been put down it would have done him any more damage, considering he was perfectly fine after the ref stopped the fight. I think he should have at least let him take a couple more shots and if he still had nothing then he should have stopped the fight, rather than stop it the minute gomez was in abit of trouble.

14. Dunky McCafferty

Dunky McCafferty Boxing Junkie banned

Aug 24, 2004
    I believe it could have, Gomez was soaking up some severe punishment before he went down, & remember when he went down he wasnt even capable of defending himself, his arms were down by his sides, he was away with it. Vann could have stopped it right before the knockdown, but he gave Gomez every chnce.

He beat the count, Carl goes over & wobbles him with the next punch he lands, Gomez was lucky Vann stopped it when he did. I know you are never going to agree, but thts how I see it.

However, its all about opinions at the end of the day. Right I must dash, have to go shopping with the missus:D

15. rydersonthestorm

Sep 27, 2007
    I understand what people are saying but i just don't agree, in america that fight wouldn't have been stopped and thats the way it is. If a fighter what to continue he shoudl be allowed, if 90% of classic fights happened today in england they would be stopped and we would never have had great fight's like the rumble in the jungle etc.