Thomas Hauser Stories of Violence outside the Ring

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by juppity, Jan 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Wtf, I'm supporting none. The man stood there and obviously wasn't going to do diddly squat and the ex-boxer cheap shotted him. Like I said I know first hand what it's like to see someone's head bounce off the floor and think you have killed a man.

2. Sting like a bean

Sting like a bean Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Apr 9, 2017
    You're right of course regarding legal concerns (I assume this is what you mean by "sent up") but in a strictly moral sense I don't think this is complicated at all. I'm well aware of how easily this can kill someone. In fact I think I may have seen this very thing (or rather its immediate aftermath) from my window in July. (I actually know the exact date, because I spent a good while googling 911 reports in my area to see what became of the guy.)

I live in Los Angeles, and as happens several times a year, a film crew of some sort was working in the closed-off street below my window. I heard two men loudly arguing for about two minutes, but ignored it because that's even more common here than the seemingly ubiquitous film crews. Then I heard a loud crack that sounded kind of like a thick book being dropped on a hard floor. (I heard this several floors up.) This made me curious enough to look out the window, and I saw a crowd of about fifteen people gathered around a guy lying flat on his back in the closed-off street, with his extended legs raised just a couple inches off the ground and his arms outstretched as though he were lying on a small bench but not letting his limbs hang down.

This was something called decorticate posturing, which is a strong sign of a serious brain injury. When the paramedics arrived he was entirely unresponsive. They immediately took him away on a stretcher, and a couple minutes later I saw a kid in his early twenties engaged in a heated conversation with a police officer (a few police are already present on most film sets) and though I couldn't hear what was being said it was clear from his body language and emphatic hand gestures that the kid was impatiently explaining to the cop that he'd just been defending himself. Apparently (surprisingly?) the cop agreed, because he didn't attempt to stop the kid when he abruptly walked away.

I never found out if the guy who was punched made any kind of recovery, but I have a surmise as to what the fight was about. He had some kind of laminated film crew ID badge around his neck, and those guys are sometimes quite surly with passersby they perceive to be "trespassing" on their set, even though streets are typically closed off only to traffic and not pedestrians.
    Presumably he got in the kid's face for walking through a shot (or something) and got laid out for it.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    Clean & Crisp likes this.
  3. Wass1985

Feb 18, 2012
    Mine was really an ado about nothing in which someone cheap-shotted me out of nowhere and I ended up going ape **** and gave him a quick right elbow hook. He was unconscious before he hit the floor and the way his head cracked the floor I thought I'd killed him.

He ended up in hospital for a matter of weeks and two of my friends were taken in for questioning. Luckily they kept their lips shut and I got away with it.

Seeing a girl I know giving him First Aid after I thought I'd killed him quickly sobered me up that I do know. I've seen plenty of cheap shots and you can very easily kill someone over basically **** all.

4. Sting like a bean

Sting like a bean Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Apr 9, 2017
    I don't know what country you're in but there is no state in the U.S. where the scenario you described could be construed as anything other than the clearest possible case of wholly justified self defense.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  5. Wass1985

Feb 18, 2012

Not here as once he did it he ran to his mate and I went walking to him and then elbowed him.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  6. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    I wouldn't say that the guy obviously wasn't going to do diddly squat, but I'm with you that there seemed to be a really good possibility that was the case. Quite possible that the guy was getting ready to sucker punch him though.

ETM likes this.
  7. Wass1985

Feb 18, 2012
    Come on he was all hot air, you don't walk over to someone and just stand there if your bite is as bad as your bark.

Look I don't give a fcuk about any of it but I should imagine the boxer would have been in trouble had the bum died there on the spot.

8. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Like I wrote last year, the legal question would possibly depend upon contextual information that none of us watching that video could possibly know. But you have to keep in mind that in America, the person defending himself doesn't need to be sure that the other person is about to attack him--it just has to be reasonable for him to believe so.

9. juppity

juppity Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Former Muay Thai World Champ John Wayne Parr comments on the dangers of bar fights.
    This content is protected

Seamus likes this.
  10. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    The dude just threatened him walked all the way over there and got within an arms reach. Basically got in his face. I would say it`s a good possibility the guy was gonna hit Lockridge.

11. Wass1985

Feb 18, 2012
    You don't just walk over to someone and stand their for seconds doing nothing if you intend to punch someone.

12. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    This is the important bit,"in street fighting there are no rules."

13. Rope-a-Dope

Rope-a-Dope Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 20, 2015
    People are forgetting that in many places in the US, you can start a fight, but then if you are losing the fight, you can pull a gun and shoot them and get away with it by claiming you feared your life was in danger.

14. escudo

escudo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 13, 2014
    John Wayne Parr is a savage. Over 300+ stiches earned from a career in Muay Thai. https://imgur.com/gallery/7xgkhj2

15. escudo

escudo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 13, 2014
    Didn't Pops also train Anne Wolfe?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.