Thomas Hearns: Raw power or technique?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Toney F*** U, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Toney F*** U

Toney F*** U Boxing junkie Full Member

Oct 16, 2019
    I’ve always felt that Tommy had more technique than raw power. If your lanky with very long reach you can hit really hard if you use great technique regardless of how much raw power you have. Another reason why I think this is because he was able to crack at pretty much every weight he fought at, his whip like technique and timing was the reason he was dangerous in every division, not so much raw power. Thoughts?

Jamal Perkins likes this.
  2. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
  3. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Both but let it be said Hearns was somewhat of an arm puncher in the ams and had very little power. When he turned pro Steward showed him leverage and other little Kronk power secrets and BOOM!!!!!

Clinton, Man_Machine and Reinhardt like this.
  4. WAR01

WAR01 In the 7.2% Full Member

Aug 19, 2019
    As an amateur he had something like ten or twenty KO’s in a 100+ Fight AM career you tell me, it’s funny on his debut the opponents corner were discussing how he can’t punch his way out of a wet paper bag and to rush him... the rest is history.

Clinton and Toney F*** U like this.
  5. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    This is what I think, although his left hook to the body was some of the hardest and most effective body punching I have seen. Barkley beat him, but those body punches he landed on Barkley in two fights were incredible. I give Barkley credit for hanging in there. There was a guy Hearns fought in defense of his first title the WBA Welt. Luis Primera. He was undefeated and he swarmed Tommy.. Similar to Barkley. And Tommy went to the body in that fight also and stopped Primera on body punches.

6. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Clearly both

Clinton likes this.
  7. Johnny_B

Johnny_B Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Feb 8, 2020
    He had both power and technique. Regarding punching power, I reckon his long arms helped him a lot

8. Xplosive

Xplosive Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Both contributed to his power. Along with one other thing... handspeed.

The combination of perfect leverage (technique), along with the velocity at which he delivered it, added to the God-given power was a devastating combination.

louis54, Cecil, Toney F*** U and 3 others like this.
  9. Amos-san

Amos-san Member Full Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Technique + explosion + leverage

Toney F*** U likes this.
  10. Xplosive

Jun 23, 2008
    Credit to Manny though... he really taught all the Kronk fighters how to punch THROUGH the target with that right hand.

A lot of these young fighters today just punch at the target.

11. Toney F*** U

Toney F*** U Boxing junkie Full Member

Oct 16, 2019
    Maybe but I kind of doubt it. Look at Julian Jackson or Nigel Benn who have a lot of raw power, there’s definitely a big difference between the way they knocked people out and the way hearns did

12. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    That's it, I had a fighter show me the technique that Manny Steward taught Hearns , when you throw your right hand turn your thumb pointing down. It locks the arm and elbow.

13. Xplosive

Jun 23, 2008
    Very interesting!

14. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    It is interesting what you say. There are different kinds of power. Mugabi power was every punch hard sort like Foreman, and then Hearns power which was with technique and leverage and he also had huge shoulders. Then you have the Jackson power.. Which to me is the most mysterious. Julian landed. Had he not had power, the punch he landed on Norris was out of the blue and perfect. Even had he not been a puncher it would have hurt Norris. So he had some sort of technique to lull guys a little and then land the perfect punch. With incredible body positioning to get the most leverage. And Tyson was pinpoint sharp and inside power..

15. Jamal Perkins

Jamal Perkins Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 19, 2012
    The bodily assault on barkley wouldve made a billy goat puke....i think just a few of those wouldve folded more than half the top 15 in that mw division which was very strong ..but barkley took a dozen or so down in the fried chicken basket...tremendous display of intestinal fortitude and body punching

JohnThomas1 likes this.