Thomas Hearns vs. Sugar Ray Leonard 40 years ago today Sept. 16, 1981.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by PernellSweetPea, Sep 16, 2021.

1. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    It has been so long ago now. The years have zipped by, but it is still a classic.. For a defensive guy, Ray sure was in some shootouts with Duran and Hearns. His defense was good, but it could be penetrated.

Sangria, surfinghb, Fergy and 3 others like this.
  2. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    What a title unification it was, I heard that fight blow by blow over the radio. The commentator made it sound like Thomas Hearns had the advantage in that bout, apparently he did until round 14, then Sugar Ray Leonard then changed things. Sugar Ray had been told by his trainer Angelo Dundee, You Are Blowing It. Leonard came alive, then ended it.

RockyJim, channy and Brixton Bomber like this.
  3. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Wow, 40 years ago exactly. I don't remember it when it happened but I've seen it about half a dozen times now. One of the great matchups in history that lived up to the hype.

4. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    It was one of those "classic bouts" that oddly didn't have a hell of a lot of clean punching being done, for all the skill and athleticism involved. Guess that is supposed to speak to the quality of their respective defenses but truth be told, neither was all that outstanding on defense. Leonard appeared to be but that was all speed and reflexes, not so much honed skill in blocking, parrying, that sort of thing. As soon as they both slowed down they weren't all that tough to hit.

Still, that's rambling...…..it's a riveting encounter for a lot of reasons, featuring two all-time greats at their absolute respective physical peaks. Not often that happens.

5. channy

channy 4.7.33 banned Full Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Yup.

The now famous You're Blowing it son You're Blowing it...

Fergy and Richard M Murrieta like this.
  6. RockyJim

RockyJim Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Went and saw it on closed circuit...great crowd that night...the build-up to this fight was huge...

Fergy and Richard M Murrieta like this.
  7. Skins

Skins Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 20, 2011
    They don't make them like this anymore

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  8. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Best welterweight title fight ever.

The thing that’s so great about it is it played out like a drama in five acts:

1) Early rounds, Ray moving and plans to box but he can’t get anything done and Hearns is banking rounds as he stalks

2) The tide turns with a body punch from Ray as he batters Hearns over a couple of rounds

3) Hearns turns boxer and takes command, Ray stalking but can’t get past that jab as Thomas puts on a clinic

4) You’re blowin’ it, kid: Dundee tells Ray where he stands and that if he doesn’t make a move now it will be too late. Leonard reaches deep into his champion’s heart and puts a battering on Hearns, but can he close the deal?

5) Leonard is relentless and closes the show as Hearns sags through the ropes

This was the telling of a magnificent story and probably the best, or at least one of the best, prime-vs.-prime fights ever between ATGs.

9. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I was just turned 17 when that fight happened. I was out running around the neighborhood when I saw a backyard with tables set up and a big movie projector screen; they were all set to watch the fight. Once it got dark I came back and stood on a brick to look over the fence and watch the fight. I would get a couple rounds, sometimes less before their dog would notice me and start barking and I would leave, walk around for a while then come back and watch some more of the fight. It was many years later that I finally saw the whole fight.

Bokaj and Richard M Murrieta like this.
  10. JackSilver

JackSilver Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 24, 2017
    I dunno about that. I thought Leonard -Duran 1 was a far more exciting fight to watch. Not saying it wasn’t a good fight but it was more like a top level chess match rather than what everyone were expecting. From what I read of what the expectations of the bout beforehand people were thinking about whether Leonard would be able to take Hearns power and how well Hearns could deal with Leonard’s speed and boxing nous. Instead Leonard seem to be the puncher in the fight and Hearns content on outboxing Leonard and wining on points. I don’t think Hearns really landed flush with his right hand at all in the whole fight.

Now the 2nd match between the two years later was I think,more like what people were expecting beforehand on how the first fight would go with Hearns clearly been the dangerous puncher and Leonard the boxer. I think the rematch was also a more exciting fight than the first but people underrate it and look past it because both were way past their primes by then whereas they were arguably at their best at the time of the first one in 81.

Richard M Murrieta and Fogger like this.
  11. Showstopper97

Showstopper97 The Icon Full Member

Oct 7, 2020
    In the words of Larry Merchant...
    "What a night. What a fight".

12. Fogger

Fogger Father, grandfather and big sports fan. Full Member

Aug 9, 2021
    I remember really being excited about this fight. Then I watched it and was disappointed. However, the disappointment was my fault. For some reason I had built this up to be a bout that would feature the action and ferocity that Hearns and Hagler displayed a few years later. I was in my 20s then and I should have known better. That would not be a game plan that SRL would have ever chosen.

I watched it again a few months later with a different mindset and enjoyed the fight for what it was. A high level battle of styles with momentum swings throughout and an excellent finish.

13. surfinghb

surfinghb Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2017
    welcome back btw .. I saw the fight at my friends house as his older brother and uncle were into boxing so they got the fight .. Hearns was already my favorite fighter and always has been .. I was 11 years old .. I saw the rematch with the same group 8 years later.

14. Sangria

Sangria You bleed like Mylee Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    40 years to the exact day! Nostalgia. Greatest Welterweight fight of all time and my introduction to boxing. One of the great memories that will last a life time. :crybaby2:

15. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Thank you.. Good to see you again also surfinghb. 1981 to 1989 was a long time. Unbelievable how long ago now, because in someways it still feels like yesterday . In 1981 I watched it in my living room alone, and in 1989 I saw the rematch outside a bar on delay..

surfinghb likes this.