Thomas The Hitman Hearns vs Oscar De La Hoya, 147 lbs, Prime For Prime.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Richard M Murrieta, Jun 6, 2020.

1. surfinghb1

surfinghb1 Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Hearns is the better boxer. He was so loose and fluid at 147. Oscar at times was stiff. Hearns would stop him in a 15 rounder

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  2. DJN16

DJN16 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2013
    If Oscar went for it this potentially could be an excellent fight.

Hearns stops Oscar to the body I reckon, maybe even before the midway point.

People like to slate Oscar but he was a very good fighter and there is no shame in losing to The Hitman, not just one of the best welterweights of all time but one of the most dangerous fighters of all time in any weight class.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    Bujia, Richard M Murrieta and Cecil like this.
  3. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    I think Oscar probably does try to go for it, at least for a try, somewhere in the first three or four rounds. But when he tastes’s Tommy’s power and realizes the risk I’m seeing ODLH getting on his bicycle and hoping he can last to the late rounds for Hearns to tire.

I don’t think the Golden Boy would put enough of a pace on the Hit Man to gas him and Hearns walks away with a clear UD while ODLH lives to fight another day after the defeat.

4. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    When DLH cut Rivero loose, he quit developing as a fighter. I believe the next trainer was Emmanuel Stewart and Oscar's skill level dramatically declined. In reality, as it actually happened, Oscar isn't beating Tommy Hearns with either Emmanuel or Gil Clancy in his corner. They wrecked him as a fighter.
    In a perfect world- had he continued on with Rivero- him beating Hearns is very likely.

5. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Why do you think so grey? Interested to hear your analysis.

6. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    There's a handful of fighters I see stopping Deloyhoya at welterweight. Hearns would be the 1st on my list to accomplish it
    Deloyhoya's game starts off his jab. When his jab was
    working he's extremely tough to beat.
    He wouldn't be able to get his jab going against Hearns. Hearns's jab is faster and harder. Plus His height and reach would completely stifle Deloyhoya's.
    It would force Deloyhoya to fight cautiously. Deloyhoya would need to fight recklessly against probably the hardest punching welter in history to get a win against Hearns. But as we saw against dangerous punchers like Trinidad and Qaurtey he wouldn't take unnecessary risk against a serious threat.
    Fighting cautious against Hearns was suicidal.
    Deloyhoya would come out on his bicycle, circle away from Hearns Right hand. But he'd be placing himself right into his jab and underrated left hook, especially to the body.
    Sooner or later fighting cautiously Deloyhoya would stay in one spot too long. Unlike Trinidad Hearns would be able to catch him when he did. The right hand would find its mark, Deloyhoya goes down. He would get up bravely. But Hearns would be on him like white on rice. Force the ref to halt the fight within 10rds.

7. Stiff Jab

Stiff Jab Despiser of Super-Middleweights Full Member

Jan 7, 2019
    Tommy murders de la Hoya. I don't see an argument for Oscar.

8. demigawd

demigawd Boxing Addict Full Member

May 1, 2006
    Oscar is the ninth greatest fighter of all time, and Hearns is not. Therefore Oscar wins.

9. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Rivero was teaching him to think strategically and how to be loose, to do things effortlessly, if that makes sense. He understood that, while Oscar could hit ok, his strength was his speed. And he was educating his left hand; I didn't really appreciate what he was trying to create in Oscar until you and George got me watching Canto.
    Given more time, he would have dramatically increased Oscar's defensive ability and, correspondingly, his ability to counter with his best shots. He would have made him a smarter more effective fighter.

roughdiamond likes this.
  10. Sangria

Sangria You bleed like Mylee Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    I think DeLaHoya-Tszyu was scheduled for 147 after Oscar beat Sweet Pea in early '97. But Vince Phillips ruined it for us. Point is they would've fought at 140 or 147 regardless.

Wouldn't a Hearns-Trinidad bout be scintillating??

Man I remember the "DeLaHoya Jinx"...whenever a DeLaHoya SuperFight was in the works, his opponent would lose or almost lose their stay busy fight. Terry Norris lost to Keith Mullings, Kostya Tszyu lost Vince Phillips, Quartey almost lost to Jose Luis Lopez, Pernell Whitaker almost lost to Diosbelys Hurtado. And then Oscar almost lost to Felix Sturm prior to facing Hopkins in 2004.

11. CharlesBurley

CharlesBurley Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Feb 23, 2020
    Fixed ;)

12. Charlietf

Charlietf Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2020
    Hearns is too big for de la Hoya

13. Sangria

Sangria You bleed like Mylee Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    But did it derail his fight with Hopkins? :nonono

14. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
    oscar just edged Quartey.Only thing is Tommy is better than Quartey.So Hearns UD or late round stoppage

15. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016

That's what I see, Oscar gets past the first 5 or 6 it goes the distance. Though I favor Hearns in that scenario Tommy is vulnerable down the stretch .