Thoughts on Nigel Benn vs. Gerald McClellan fight

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Storm-Chaser, Sep 27, 2022.

1. Storm-Chaser

Storm-Chaser Member Full Member

Sep 5, 2022
    Well it was one for the ages, that's for sure. I thought the ref did a horrible job, but other than that, the action was non-stop. What a thriller! I still can't believe how hard Benn can hit.

I feel really bad for McClellan, even though I was rooting for Benn. Had he just KO'd Benn in the first round, there is a high probability his boxing career and life would have gone much differently.

Discuss.

apollack likes this.
  2. White Bomber

White Bomber Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2021
    Ben hit hard indeed, but the G-Man was showing head trauma symptoms prior to the fight, constant eye twitching and stuff like that.

Smokin Bert, Storm-Chaser and rinsj like this.
  3. Bulldog24

Bulldog24 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 2, 2013
    The last person you want swinging at your head if there was already something going on in there, is a motivated to the max Nigel Benn! Holy crumbs.

It was the most violent atmosphere to those there, nothing ever quite like it in boxing history. Something eerie in the air.

In the pub I watched it in, the hundred men were possessed and it sounded like they too were in the other five pubs on the street. Actually urging Nige to ‘kill’ him.

The fight itself we all know very well.

Storm-Chaser and Guru88 like this.
  4. Bulldog24

Bulldog24 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 2, 2013
    Remember McClellan had said beforehand he wanted to ‘kill’ Nigel Benn.

5. Guru88

Guru88 Active Member Full Member

Sep 6, 2020
    That’s excatly how I remember it, I was young and it felt like something completely different to any other fight I’d watched, it was the most violent vibe I’ve ever experienced a fight to have. I know it’s easier said after the event but it felt like from the start it was like some gladiator ****, kill or be killed. When Benn got up and started landing power shots the pub was going nuts, it’s one of the most vivid memories of my childhood, the smell of the smoke and the men going mad at the screen, F knows what it would’ve been like to be ringside.

6. turpinr

turpinr Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Nobody gave Benn a chance at the time me included.
    But after the fight Boxing writers from over the pond came out of the woodwork saying they knew McCLellan was only a 3 round fighter all along, which was rubbish, they didn't.
    I can remember Bruno banging on the ring apron as Benn started his comeback not gradually as I first though but from the second round.
    The referee was out of his depth and McClellan's corner men were worse.
    It was the most vicious fight I've ever seen and but for the tragic ending would have overshadowed Hagler-Hearns.
    For a display of left hook power punching Benn was terrifying

Storm-Chaser and Turnip mk3 like this.
  7. Marcus S.

Marcus S. Member Full Member

Aug 24, 2022
    It's honestly one of my favorite fights ever. It was an all-out war from start to finish, with big time moments throughout. The crowd atmosphere in London was incredible also (but what else is new?). I don't think it gets as much respect as it deserves as a full match because of what happened with Gerald (and rightfully so). There are many factors that play into his fate (the referee not being able to speak English, Stan Johnson's handling of the fight, etc.).

Benn was absolutely incredible, though. This was his finest hour IMO. To come back from literally getting knocked out of the ring within the first 20 seconds of the fight and to come back from massive assaults from McClellan to win that fight was (and is) extraordinary.

Storm-Chaser and robert ungurean like this.
  8. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    It was one of the greatest fights in the UK I've seen, but obviously tragic.
    Benn was a man possessed.
    On that night, any Supermiddle has to hold on for life against him.

Storm-Chaser and Turnip mk3 like this.
  9. Turnip mk3

Turnip mk3 Member Full Member

Feb 6, 2021
    I was there that night . Something I will never forget.

Storm-Chaser and turpinr like this.
  10. turpinr

turpinr Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Benn rolling onto his left hook, simply awesome

Storm-Chaser likes this.
  11. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    It was a great fight. It was also a indicator of how overrated
    McClellean was in my opinion. His opposition prior to
    Benn was mediocre at best. Yet he managed to lose
    two of those fights.
    Mugabi and Jackson was a shadow of what they
    were.

12. Makingweight

Makingweight Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 7, 2011
    Great fight watched it in a pub and people couldn't take their eyes off the action it was a true war of attrition.

Benn big underdog with the bookies, McClellan built up by the UK trade papers and boxing writers as a mini Mike Tyson, Benn given no chance.

The build up was very heated both sides, Benn loved the fact he was written off and McClellan added a lot of fuel to the fire by pre fight threats.

I taped the fight and watched it again the ref didn't do a great job. McClellan also did himself no favours had started to crash the weight late in camps, never a great plan to do it once he was constantly doing it.

Worse of all the split with Manny Steward over money, MS also not happy about his cutting weight and McClellan wanted his undivided attention when Manny had a all star array of fighters. McClellan had a terrible camp employed a corner with no experience.

He was training himself in effect, what sums it up night of the fight he had to wrap his own hands. Had Steward been in the corner could the result of been different who knows, would of MS acted on a fighter in seeming distress between rounds I suggest he would of.

Storm-Chaser likes this.
  13. Dynamicpuncher

Dynamicpuncher Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 14, 2022
    A few things other than the obvious brutality of the fight, Benn as you said benefitted from the long count after being knocked out the ring. And the referee kept getting inbetween the fighters, whilst McClellan was trying to finish Benn off, which Benn also benefitted from. Benn also got away with far too many rabbit punches for my liking.

Also McClellan was blinking very early in the fight, which leads me to believe he was an accident waiting to happen. And I contribute that to McClellan's brutal sparring sessions and the Jackson fight, McClellan did complain of headaches after the Jackson fight so make of that what you will.

Overall though Benn showed alot of heart and determination to comeback and stop McClellan, and it's got to be one of the best wins a British fighter has had over a top American fighter.

Final thoughts obviously McClellan's injuries were sad to witness, but some people believe with how cruelly he treated his dogs. That it was karma that he got that injury, now I'd never wish anything like that on anyone. But when you read up how badly McClellan treated dogs, he wasn't exactly the nicest person.

turpinr and Storm-Chaser like this.