Thoughts on Steve Bunce?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Infern0121, Aug 13, 2018.

1. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    Good assesment.
    I don't think he ever had professed to been a top analyst.
    We need a bit of everything

2. GTFUP

GTFUP Active Member Full Member

Dec 12, 2015
    As a guy he seems a twwat but the truth is he loves his Boxing and is knowledgable but sometimes he is bias but rather him than a dolly bird who knows Jack

Holler, hitandhope and rezzer like this.
  3. N17

N17 VIP Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2013
    Any time Bunce starts to irritate me or I think he is talking cobblers I just think of Spencer Fearon and Bunce then looks like a reasonable, intelligent and fair pundit/commentator/person.

It works, try it.

Patter983, Holler, Twentyman and 3 others like this.
  4. porkypara

porkypara Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Usually good but can go a bit OTT at times (very OTT at others) which is why he needs a strong personality to pull him up on things which is why I think Barry Jones worked well with him on BoxNation.

Patter983 and Holler like this.
  5. sjp17

sjp17 Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 22, 2011
    He's a top analyst of boxing.

I find him quite amusing at times though i can see why he'd annoy some folk

6. Ilesey

Ilesey ~ Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    Not for me if I'm honest - his voice and persona makes me cringe.

7. 305th

305th Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 28, 2018
    Clearly passionate about the sport and entertaining to watch/listen but his hyping up gets a bit boy who cried wolf on times. The hit piece he did on Mia St John this week was a bit out order tbh but I understand why he did it.

8. HerolGee

HerolGee VIP Member banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2010
    hes alright, does what a fatman needs to do for a career, exaggerate and look funny whilst relying on a knowledge built up covering the sport does whilst becoming a fatman.

what was his login name here?

9. stittyb

stittyb Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Thing is, of all the pundits in the UK, who would you rather have a pint with and chat boxing? It's a no brainer, Bunce.

Twentyman and Infern0121 like this.
  10. Holler

Holler Doesn't appear to be a paid matchroom PR shill Full Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Yes this is spot on.

I like him in smallish doses. I think he works better on radio, he can tell an anecdote, has a clear love for the sport and he has plenty of enthusiasm in his voice, often too much. He makes a decent double act with the measured Mike Costello on the bbc boxing podcast.

If I had one wish there would be a large comedy boxing glove that entered from he side of the screen and chinned Buncey every time he uttered the words 'make no mistake' Obviously this would add to the pre and post fight analysis segments and can't understand why BT sport haven't already implemented it.

305th likes this.
  11. PolicemanPrawn

PolicemanPrawn Member Full Member

Apr 29, 2017
    Not a sharp analyst, more of an entertainer or circus clown. Not close to someone like Hatman for example.

I call him Dunce.

12. LD Boxer-Puncher

LD Boxer-Puncher Well-Known Member Full Member

May 10, 2017
    He is absolutely passionate about boxing, and people like that are crucial for the sport. No matter how annoying he might be to some, it's passionate people who make anything successful

Holler and 305th like this.