Thx to us Kess vs joe is on!

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by tsr, Jun 22, 2007.

1. China_hand_Joe

China_hand_Joe Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 21, 2006
    I am very bannable but the main reason is I cannot be bothered drawing a picture of old Moe and editing it in now.

2. Faetter_BR

Faetter_BR Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 4, 2004
    I don't see why Kessler should fight in the inside - when he can win with more ease and lesser risk from the outside - that would be stupid. Although he did do just for shows in round 12 versus Andrade.

I don't see him having problems with pressure - he normally boxes his way out of trouble and very rarely covers up. He will normally take half a step back and when the opponent comes forward he'll counter. Versus Andrade he did a lot of sidestepping but to the same effect.

I find this fight very hard to predict - We've not seen Kessler versus Calzaghe's type (if there is such a type) - but what we've seen from Kessler is that he has hardly lost a round his whole career - which includeds wins over the rings number #3, #4 and #5. The question is - will it be enough versus Calzaghe?

And is Kessler able to bring his sparring to the real ring - in sparring he fights just fine on the inside - just ask Bika :)

3. Decebal

Decebal Lucian Bute Full Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I am surprised at your lack of civic courage, China Joe!:verysad

4. Faetter_BR

Aug 4, 2004
    Who died and made Dawson P4P???

Dawson has one decent win - that's it!!!

He has a shaky chin - Harding (7KO in 23) had him down.

Dawson looked good in one fight against Adamek - who had close fights with Briggs... oh and then he is american - that has got to be why he is now suddenly a P4P prospect.

Kessler would beat him with ease - so would Calzaghe!!!

5. PrideOfWales

PrideOfWales Winston Zedmore Full Member

Apr 20, 2006
    I'm fed up of talking about this fight and there's probably 5 months to go yet.

6. Decebal

Mar 10, 2007
    were we even talking about this fight? I hadn't noticed...;)

7. DanePugilist

DanePugilist God vs God - Death Angel Full Member

Oct 14, 2006
    I hear what you are saying - and a little part of me feels that way - but the biggest part of me says - I just wanna know if Kessler has the goods to best Calzaghe in the ring.

Doing so with a confident JC makes it even better. If Kessler loses, well then he lost to a very confident and motivated Calzaghe, and that reflects on Kessler as well.

Of course I am proud as a dane of Mikkel, maybe what only other boxing minority countries can comprehend - but foremostly my heart beats for boxing - and by saying so - I just wish to have the best competitive matches - and not be let down.

I just wish that Kessler beats a JC in a match where both are at their very best - if possible.

8. Decebal

Mar 10, 2007
    :good

9. DanePugilist

DanePugilist God vs God - Death Angel Full Member

Oct 14, 2006
    :good - couldn't agree more - ESB posters from both camps and even posters with little interest in SMW - has pleaded for this match to happen by acknowledging the skills and importance of this match.

10. Faetter_BR

Aug 4, 2004
    yeah do keep saying that a we keep proving you wrong...

Vanderpool - have lost to Berrio - which gives you a fairly good indication of his skill level - and the fight was more or less tied at the time of the stoppage

Sheika - Sheika is a good journeyman and that's it, and still the fight 117-111, 115-113 and 115-113 - even Beyer beat him more convinsingly than that!!!

Rubin Williams - in a worldtitlefight - what a f*cking joke!!!

Robin Reid - a good win although Reid came of a layoff - but a good win granted!

Pemberton - lost to Manfredo - enough said

Sorry I just don't see this matching beating the rings number 3, 4 and 5 - and even if we asume that Lacy competision was as good or even a little better, then it doesn't make up for the fact that Kessler beat his opponents much much more convinsingly thatn Lacy - Lacy lost more rounds to Rubin Williams than Kessler has done in his whole career!!!

I also love the fact that you reduce Kessler to being good at the basics and big... if it doesn't take more to win 39 fights, beat 3 out of the rings top5 while loosing two rounds his whole career - then boxing is easier than I thought...

11. deram

deram Active Member Full Member

Nov 14, 2004
    First of all, Kessler for certain has beaten far better competition than Lacy has. Vanderpool, Pemberton, Sheika etc. they were all just fed to him. Even Shaw admitted that after they split and he had nothing to loose by saying so. They are all like Kessler's Thonbela or Bute's Tsesyvan. They were decent at the most. Bought to make him go a few rounds and look good. No more. He has never - except Calzaghe - been in the ring with someone (prior to Joe) that came with a hope of winning. Someone that could have beaten most people bar 10 or so. Kessler has meet several of that type: Beyer was world champ and no matter the abuse he gets he would still have beaten anyone except 10 or so. Mundine certainly would. Andrade would. Just to mention these three, Lacy has never met anyone remotely similar. Old and desillusioned Reid was brought over to get ****ed over and just in case they had bought the ref too. He is more or less like Lucas was for Kessler, except that Lucas achieved more in his carreer than Reid.

So - no, the resumes of thoise two cannot be compared at all.

Concerning Calzaghe. Can he beat Kessler to the jab? Well.... hard to say. I think he may be able to at times (most cannot even once during a fight), but I doubt he can do so consistently enough to actually win in a jabbing contest. Imo. the most important thing for Kessler is that he feels light, quick and ready on the night - because if he feels a little heavy and powerful - then his brain will explode once Joe's arms start going like drumsticks. A Beyer-Kessler would probably be run over imo. and would afterwards say "I just didn't have it tonight - I felt slow and tired in there".

Joe will bounce around in that ring with the arms going like crazy and if Kessler is slow it will matter zip how powerful he may be. Kessler needs to focus entirely on speed imo. However, as said earlier, Kessler has shown really good speed earlier and I believe he can turn up with enough speed to not give Joe the fight. Again. he will not be able to do a Mundine on Calzaghe. Against Mundine he also looked a little slow (in sparring with Soliman he looked even worse..) but was still able to simply bully Mundine - and basically run him over. also he was still fast enough.

I am not worried about his power. Power will not be an issue against Calzaghe as he will have enough power no matter what. Imo. he needs to concentrate on two things:
    A. Speed.
    and figuring Joe's strategy out:
    B. Slapping fast to make the other guy go back or cover up and only then start putting more power into punches. Joe is far the best in modern boxing in terms of punch power variety (not always clean and yes refs ought to look out for that, but effective).