Tim Witherspoon vs Alexander Povetkin

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mr. magoo, Apr 26, 2017.

1. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Witherspoon by KO. Povetkin would get hurt bad on the inside.

2. rinsj

rinsj Active Member Full Member

May 19, 2007
    Timmy beats the PED's out of him.

3. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I started the thread so now I'll give my take. If Tim is motivated and in reasonable shape then I think he can win this in a close fight. He did after all fight Holmes to a standstill and beat some of the better young heavys of the 80's. Nothing Povetkin's ever done surpasses that in my eyes. In addition, Witherspoon was awkward, durable, hard hitting, difficult to figure out and not easily intimidated. He was a nightmare for most men. On the other hand if Tim shows up only half trained and distracted, Alexander Povetkin is certainly a fighter who could take advantage of it.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    lloydturnip likes this.
  4. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    On their best 3-4 nights, I'd pick Witherspoon.

On the other nights I'd pick Povetkin.

It comes down to Witherspoon's shape, motivation and focus.

But on overall ability, I do think Witherpsoon was better and good enough to rate as a top 25 all time heavyweight.

5. lloydturnip

lloydturnip Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
  6. Russell

Russell VIP Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Good post, but Alexander has looked a completely different fighter the past few years. He's not the guy that had to beat Chris Byrd to death way back when. Not sure if you're up to date on his career.

7. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Mythical matchups should always be on their best nights. It is about who the best fighter is.

Who cares if somebody beats an unmotivated out of shape Witherspoon or Toney or anybody?

8. Webbiano

Webbiano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 6, 2011
    Let's not forget Don King's down slide on Witherspoon's career was already in effect by this point and Tim was clearly not in the best of shape for this fight (although this was his own fault). You can use the Bruno fight as a measuring stick, but let's not forget he got the job done.

I'll take the fighter who showed up on the biggest night of their life. The fighter that was more than competitive and almost sneaked a decision over the best heavyweight in the world. I'll also concede this would be by no means one sided and a very close fight.

9. Birmingham

Birmingham Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Witherspoons right hurts him late in a close affair and he doesn't let him off the hook. Ko late for Witherspoon. Just look at Tims pay cheques to realise why he was un motivated. He got involved with King and he totally robbed him in every fight. I think he come away with less than 100,000 after the Bruno fight while frank got nearly 10 x that.

10. Man_Machine

Man_Machine Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 9, 2010
    I'm not sure Bruno was that close to toppling Spoon.

As I recall it (though it has been an age since I watched it, to be true), Bruno was giving a reasonable account of himself but Terrible Tim had the upper hand (And, I would add that this was not the best version of Witherspoon, in my opinion).

11. mr. magoo

Jan 3, 2007
    I saw him fight Klitschko, Cedric Bozwell and some other dude more recently. He looks sharper than he did 10 years ago, but that experience and improvement also came at the cost of old age.

12. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    He wasn't. It was just Frank being Frank and the vast majority of us were rooting for him. He gave a really good account of himself and looked to be in with some sort of possible chance at times but he was never that close.

13. mr. magoo

Jan 3, 2007
    I think Frank Bruno, Tony Tubbs, Greg Page and Renaldo Snipes were better measuring sticks of talent than a 37 year old Chris Byrd, 42 year old Cedric Boswell, 40 year old Larry Donald, a green and passive Eddie Chambers or Johann Duhaupas.

14. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    For sure.

15. Azzer85

Azzer85 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 13, 2010
    In the Tyson book, theres a chapter which talks about King.

King once 'accidentally' added an extra zero on Witherspoons expenses for his sparring partners so he ended up paying $7,000 instead of $700.