Timor Ibragimov trying to comeback

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Heavyrighthand, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Heavyrighthand

Heavyrighthand Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 29, 2005
    ..............Heavyweight Timor Ibragimov (22-2-1, 13 KOs) got back on track with an upset unanimous ten round decision over WBA #15 rated Timo Hoffmann (36-5-1, 20 KOs) on Saturday night at the Stadthalle Zwickau in Zwickau, Germany. Hoffmann was on the deck twice in round one, but neither was ruled a knockdown. Ibragimov showed much more aggression than he did in consecutive losses to contenders Calvin Brock and Tony Thompson. Hoffmann began to get untracked in rounds three and four, but Ibragimov was still landing the better shots. As the bout progressed, Ibragimov's tactics resembled those of John Ruiz with lots of clinching, however Hoffmann had no answer and went down to a 97-93, 99-94, 98-92 defeat............

I am not sure if this guy even has the gut level drive and aggression that it takes to be a world class heavyweight fighter, but, apparently he's trying to be more aggressive and assertive, as this latest fight report says...

I guess his trainer read him the riot act, to hopefully, get something going within him, after his dismal last two efforts, which didn't really show any effort from Timor........
    \
    This content is protected

2. Butch Coolidge

Butch Coolidge Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Could be Hoff didn't have the guns to Keep Ibragimov from fighting bravely while Thompson and Brock could bang hard enough to give the boy happy feet.

3. KillerInstinct

KillerInstinct Member Full Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Ibrag has to do A LOT in order to make me thing more of him..after seeing his fight with Brock..well I'm a Timur Ibragimov hater ;)

4. Butch Coolidge

Butch Coolidge Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 20, 2004
    I like Sultan Ibragimov and unlike practically everybody else I thought his fight versus Briggs was entertaining. I liked it better than Holmes vs Spinks, not nearly as good as Louis vs Conn though.

5. Stinky gloves

Stinky gloves Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 31, 2007
    Where did he go so he is comming back?

6. Zakman

Zakman ESB's Chinchecker Full Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Good for Ibragimov for trying to rebuild on the regional level. Like others, I share doubts as to whether he can be competitive at the world class level. At this point, he's barely a fringe contender. It remains to be seen if he can progress beyond this. Perhaps another win against some solid European fighter - say, Michael Sprott - and then maybe then step it up again to see what he's got. Perhaps a rematch with one of the guys he lost to might be a good idea after that.

7. Cachibatches

Cachibatches Boxing Junkie banned

Nov 12, 2006
    Somebody on the other thread said he is not really Sultan's cousin. Any idea if thats true?

Any way, I beleive teh heavyweight division is a lot better than it has been at any time in the post-Lewis era, and with Haye and Solis joining Povetkin and Dimentrenko, its only going ot get better yet.

Bottom line: there really is no room for Timour as anything other than a trialhorse or fringe guy.

8. KillerInstinct

KillerInstinct Member Full Member

Aug 13, 2005
    I'm suprised you out of all people want to see Ibragimov come back. He's like the Eastern Euro version of Ruiz!

9. Shotgun

Shotgun Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Well, if they are related it's evident that Sultan inherited the better talent. Timur is not very good, point blank, not particularly athletic, skilled, or powerful on a world class level, not a good combination. He's at best a gatekeeper