Tito vs Hearns @ 147 and 154

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by tinman, Feb 9, 2019.

1. tinman

tinman VIP Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Perhaps the two hardest punching 147 pounders ever. Both can bang with the best of them. Hearns faster and more technically skilled. And while Tito didn't have an iron chin, it was still pretty solid and could probably take a shot from Hearns without getting totally iced immediately. I feel like at 147 the first left hook Tito lands, Hearns is in massive trouble and is jelly legged.

At 147 Tito by KO.

At 154 Hearns was at his peak. I'd say its 50/50, but gun to my head I pick Hearns by KO.

Anything north of 154 is solidly Hearns by KO. He got too big for Tito at that point.

2. Longhhorn71

Longhhorn71 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Hearns in both cases...too versatile..plus bigger

Hearns: 6' 1", 78" reach
    Tito: 5' 10", 72-1/2" reach

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    Brixton Bomber and Jel like this.
  3. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Prime vs prime Hearns at any weight. Tito was a very good fighter, but Hearns was just on a different level. Sure Trinidad had the power to stop Hearns, so did plenty other fighters Hearns fought. I just see a gap in skill level . Hearns jab would keep Trinidad at a distance. Hearns would be aware of the dangers Trinidad would bring in the ring against , and wouldn't be reckless. But sooner rather than later that right hand would follow that jab and goodnight Mr.Trinidad

4. tinman

tinman VIP Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Hearns should by all indications win at 147 and 154. But the problem is 1 left hook from Tito and Hearns' legs are wet noodles. Especially so at 147 pounds.

Can Hearns get Tito out of there before the left hook comes crashing down on him?

Longhhorn71 likes this.
  5. Xplosive

Xplosive Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Tito gets KO'd at both weights.

Clinton and young griffo like this.
  6. TBI

TBI Active Member Full Member

Oct 20, 2015
    I agree with all who pick Hearns.

Hearns better at about everything except delivering a left hook. Faster, longer, sharper, smarter, harder punching.

Tito has the same game- power box, jabbing from long range, step in with the 2's and 3's...

I'd honestly pick Mayorga at 147 over Hearns before Tito...

And I love Tito. One of my favorites ever.

Jel likes this.
  7. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    I pick Tommy in about 4 or 5. I cannot see it in one or two, but it would go a few rounds and he would stop Tito.

Longhhorn71 likes this.
  8. SHADAPBLAD

SHADAPBLAD Viscous Knockouts Full Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Something tells me Tito would not look small next to Hearns. In fact he might even be the bigger man at 147. Hearns outjabs Tito and shakes off a few nearly lethal shots to take out Tito in the 4th. I see Tito's right hand being more of a problem for Hearns than his left

9. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    It's a fair question. Tito is one of my all-time favourites so I'd love it to be competitive and he definitely has a puncher's chance. But he's got to get past Hearns' jab and he's also not as fast as Hearns imo. Tough ask for Tito.

Flash24 and tinman like this.
  10. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Hearns beats the living @@@@ out of Trinidad either weight and early. Come on now!!
    I'm not even in the mood to comment but this is ridiculous already

11. Curtis Lowe

Curtis Lowe Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 19, 2006
    I go with Hearns at both weights. Power the same for both fighters. Hand speed makes the difference.

Longhhorn71 likes this.
  12. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Gotta give the edge to Hearns. His speed would be a problem for Tito. The laser jab blinding him for what is coming after. Two big Welterweights..

Trinidad has a very live punchers chance. He could really crack with either hand.

Brixton Bomber and TBI like this.
  13. Longhhorn71

Longhhorn71 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Back in the olden days, this would be a San Juan-Detroit Trilogy..(you pick the order)...but not today with all the "politics" and quasi-ducking going on in the Sport.

14. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    That is true. I am not sure if Oscar is good for boxing. He sure sticks to Canelo. Boxing needs reform to get the fights to happen. Some are happening. Wilder vs. Fury 2, seems to be happening. Joshua is waiting for the smoke to clear it seems. GGG is taking a breather and waiting for something who knows what. The welterweights had a lot of big fighters who looked like it would be a great era, and that has fizzled with Thurman fizzling. It is almost like Mikey Garcia has to win against Spence to shake things up. That would be best for boxing. He is more likeable and he seems to be less egocentric than all the other guys. I am talking about things which the thread is not about, but one of the posters above mention boxing politics. And one last comment. Garcia to me has a chance to beat Spence. Everyone writes him off. He has good fundamentals, which at times can beat speed and size. He has to fight a perfect fight, but he can. For boxing sake, lets hope it happens.

Longhhorn71 likes this.
  15. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    Hearns is certainly the way to bet, ,,,but one comment was spot on, one left hook from Tito and Hearns is wobbling like Otis Campbell in Mayberry.