Tomáš "Jumbo" Adámek (*the Czech light heavyweight journeyman, not the Polish ex-LHW champ)

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by IntentionalButt, Nov 27, 2018.

1. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    You know what? I give this motherfucker some major props.

Literally for his entire career, it has been a running joke that he is "the other Adamek", easily confused due to phonetically identical first & last names (the only minor spelling difference is that "Goral" Adamek, the vastly more known & celebrated Pole, spells Tomasz with a z). Both are from Central Europe. Both competed in their primes in the same division, and they are roughly the same exact size. Even stylistically they are cut from more or less the same cloth: both workmanlike orthodox no-frills boxer-brawlers who favor clockwise lateral movement at medium-close range throwing predominantly straight punches, neither of them blessed with abundant speed nor one punch kayo power but making the most of what they have by putting their all into every melee, despite both having serviceable yet hardly unassailable defense and solid but imperfect and (especially among the sport's upper tiers) eminently destructible chins but never shying from a scuffle, with both sporting a "let's do this!" attitude when the going roughens. Tomasz with a Z was already champ at 175lbs, in possession of the storied green belt, when 26 year old without-a-Z made his pro debut in 2006. So the poor Bohemian (hailing from Hradec Králové) was always doomed to live in Goral's lengthy shadow.

Nevertheless, he persisted.

Despite the late start in the pro game (without any significant amateur background to build on - and perhaps none, period, as I can find no trace of mention of him in the unpaid ranks) ...and despite having early on been relegated to a journeyman role, about three years in, after being outclassed and mercilessly battered into submission and ultimately KTFO with a body shot by Vyacheslav Uzelkov in a decisive crossroads battle of then-young prospects ...and despite having since lost more often than not, with a 13-14-1 mark since the Uzelkov loss ...he still has kept active with a blistering pace of, for most of a decade, averaging over three fights a year. He still willingly crisscrosses the continent, doing yeoman work as road warrior, serving as, to borrow a polite euphemism from pro wrestling, "enrichment talent" for European prospects, never turning down a single assignment while always giving an honest effort and gunning for victory despite being expected (and having the deck stacked to ensure that he will) lose.

Along the way Jumbo has even managed to spring the occasional upset. He claimed the WBF International title from Mohamed Merah (no relation to a fellow Algerian import by the same name who perpetrated the mass shootings at Montauban & Toulouse in 2012), in Merah's own hometown of Douai, France in 2015...and in February of last year he gutted out a unanimous decision over Norwegian world title contender Tim-Robin Lihaug in Oslo. Then a few months ago, in what had to have been his proudest moment (despite coming versus an opponent with a modest 6-6-1 record), he claimed his country's vacant national light heavyweight championship with a dominant UD against Ondřej Budera. No doubt he benefited from being a proverbial "big fish in a small pond", with the the domestic pool of talent being admittedly shallow enough to pave the way, but nonetheless. Good for him. That has to feel something like vindication for all his years of toil, and having almost single-handedly carried the international recognition torch for boxers from the Czech Republic since the retirement of Lukáš Konečný.

Coming up on Saturday is an opportunity to make 2018 a true banner year, doubling up on titles for the first time ever, as he (for some reason) has been deemed eligible to challenge for the Austrian national LHW championship, against unbeaten Mansur Elsaev (who is Russian, but at least resides presently in Vienna). Hey, I'm not questioning the logistics - just rooting like hell for Jumbo to spring one more upset and finally deflower an undefeated favorite...of which Elsaev will be his twelfth faced, comprising more than a quarter of his career opposition!

VÁLKA (WAR) JUMBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bananaride

Somachenko and UnleashtheFURY like this.
  2. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Here is Adámek vs. Budera:
    This content is protected

Here is Elsaev vs. Ferenc Törek, from last year:
    This content is protected

3. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Mansur "Golden Boy" Elsaev - who made headlines in Russian news as part of a gang of Chechen street thugs with a passion for illegal drag racing, all of whom participate in various combat sports (primarily MMA) - is 8-0 (6) but from the limited footage I've seen I don't think he possesses the kind of pop necessary to put away (or even discourage from pressing in close) the always tough & determined Adámek. He seems to be all sizzle but relatively little steak, with a lot of grandiose posturing and proclamations of his destined greatness on his social media accounts, but having read a rough translation of a German article describing in detail his second pro fight, going life & death with a now 2-6-2 fighter who then was 36 years old - I think our boy has a realistic chance to outbox the swaggering hooligan. :thumbsup:

greenhornet likes this.
  4. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    I'm honestly more invested emotionally in this fight than in the "big one" Saturday night. :sisi1

Somachenko and Sphillips like this.
  5. TSoprano

TSoprano Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Adamek should retire, that Miller beating was bad.

6. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    ...wrong Adamek. :nono:

UnleashtheFURY, Sphillips and wifly like this.
  7. greenhornet

greenhornet Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 14, 2016
    the "big one" features two fraudulent hype jobs.

IntentionalButt likes this.
  8. UnleashtheFURY

UnleashtheFURY D'oh! Full Member

Sep 29, 2012
    It's been said many times before but I'll say it again.. Boxing is built on guys like him and some if the best characters in the sport past or present are journeyman. Some seem to think there's a problem with following/rooting for them. I've never gotten that mindset. These guys live and breathe for the sport more than a lot of the top guys do.

It's Ovah, Robney, marting and 2 others like this.
  9. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    :deal:

It all boils down to everybody these days having this ridiculous phobia of defeat, as though it stigmatized athletes to such a degree as to justify making of them pariahs unworthy of respect. It amounts to no less stupid a mass foible than any medieval superstition, like killing a cat for crossing your path (and otherwise minding its own little feline business) and therefore blighting your "luck". :shakehead:

As previously noted, of his sixteen defeats and two draws, eleven of those came against unbeaten opponents in fights in which he was the visiting B-side and underdog. With very few exceptions his blemishes have all come at the hands of prospects with their zeroes intact, or else top shelf European-level contenders like Haxhi "Robin" Krasniqi and Nadjib Mohammedi.

marting and UnleashtheFURY like this.
  10. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Plus, just watch his fights. How do you not root for a guy that battles his guts out and punches as hard as he can in exchanges despite being kind of a feather-fist (by elite standards) and takes all comers as he does, making every concession there is and still never laying down for anybody? Plus you have to sympathize with him for having doubtless had to put up with listening to dumb "oh, so not the GOOD Tomasz Adamek" jokes for a dozen years.

UnleashtheFURY and Somachenko like this.
  11. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    I also, full disclosure, have something of a soft spot for the Czech Republic (having vacationed in Praha and the surrounding countryside twice with my son's mother; it stands as my favorite city in the world and my #1 pick of where to retire at the end of my days) and was a huge Konečný supporter, both for that reason and because I objectively really dug his style.

UnleashtheFURY likes this.
  12. UnleashtheFURY

UnleashtheFURY D'oh! Full Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Czech Republic rules. Also an extremely underrated Extreme Metal scene. Its towards the top of my list to go to places in Europe. I'd go as a bachelor though :lol: if you know what I mean.

IntentionalButt likes this.
  13. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    It was all I could do not to beg my then-gf fiancée to secure the services of a Slovak lady of the night for a Yuletide present ménage à trois. :lol:

It was an unrealistic temptation but lingered just beneath the surface pretty much every waking hour...all the more so as soon as we set foot outside the hotel (or hell, even passing the front desk girls in the lobby...FFS...)

14. FrankinDallas

FrankinDallas Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Prague is certainly a great town...didn't get demolished in WWII but I have personal business reasons not to like the Czech Republic. Kracow is much nicer I think....again, not bombed in WWII.

15. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    ...as in business reasons personal to you, or personal reasons that are nobody else's business? :thinking: