Tommy Gibbons all time standing should be higher than Mike Gibbons all time standing?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by McGrain, Jul 15, 2021.

1. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Yay or nay, what do you say?

It's absolutely clear that Mike was more highly regarded in terms of skill during their respective careers, that's not up for grabs. But what about real world achievements in the ring? Does anyone else lean towards Tommy here?

Tommy lost to three men - Greb, Dempsey and Tunney, all ATGs for their divisions (he has a DQ loss to Miske too, but got the better of him either three or four times). He also got the better of Greb a couple of times though, and was up against the referee in the Dempsey fight, also making the distance, not common for Dempsey foes.

Wins: Kid Norfolk, Geroges Carpentier, Billy Miske, Harry Greb, Willie Meehan (KO1!), George Chip, Battling Levinsky, Bob Moha, most of them more than once.

He was a real force at both weights.

What do you think?

2. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I'd rate Mike higher at middleweight than I'd rate Tommy at light-heavy, but I'd rate Tommy higher, pound-for-pound. Aside from having two wins over Greb, he was unbelievably consistent in an era where that's not the norm. I normally don't care for things like that, but it's hard to overlook it when there were really only three around that time who could manage it (Tunney, Gibbons and McFarland). And let's not forget, he wasn't protecting his '0' by not facing the best. He was literally beating the greatest fighter ever, not that Mike didn't as well.

70sFan865 and McGrain like this.
  3. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    That rhyme's gay.

Colonel Sanders likes this.
  4. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    I do think that I'd rank Tommy higher P4P, but I don't know Mike's career as well as Tommy's.

George Crowcroft and McGrain like this.
  5. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Mike Gibbons had a lot of good wins.

Jimmy Clabby, Eddie McGoorty, Mike O'Dowd, Jeff Smith, Ted Kid Lewis, Jack Dillon. Harry Greb too, but early in Greb's career.

I'm not sure, maybe a very slight edge to Tommy, but I go back and forth.

McGrain and 70sFan865 like this.
  6. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I think that Mike was more highly regarded at the time for reason.

He kept beating fighters who were feared, and was often beating them very convincingly.

7. Samtotheg

Samtotheg Active Member Full Member

May 4, 2021
    This I got Mike Gibbons , Tommy has some duds in his resume (I like both brothers) but Mike has the resume over Tommy!

8. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    If there had not been a Mike Gibbons would there have been a Tommy Gibbons?

Samtotheg and KasimirKid like this.