Tommy Hearns v Lamotta

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mark Dunham, Apr 17, 2021.

1. Mark Dunham

Mark Dunham Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 19, 2021
    Is Lamotta too short to box with Hearns?
    Does he have any chance?

2. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    LaMotta, and I have no misgivings whatsoever about saying that. LaMotta was tough as ****, and was only ever knocked down by a light heavy. Hearns is not ready to fight someone who knows how to fight like LaMotta does, 3 minutes of every round for 15 rounds, and at full speed. Hearns would wilt from the attack. Hearns would give LaMotta a tougher than usual fight though, given his ability to box, he seems like easy prey for LaMotta, but he also has a lot of power.

3. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    Hearns will be way ahead when he wilts and crumbles to the canvas late in the fight

Somali Sanil, Balder, ETM and 2 others like this.
  4. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Bye for now! banned Full Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Nice cat.

Reinhardt likes this.
  5. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Bye for now! banned Full Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Jake in a UD.

6. Indefatigable

Indefatigable Active Member banned Full Member

Mar 6, 2021
    Inside 8.

7. Mark Dunham

Mark Dunham Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 19, 2021
    His arms just seem too short. and Hearns has all the talent. I see a win for Hearns

8. DJN16

DJN16 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2013
    Never thought about this fight before.

I've previously said SRR would stop Hearns. I could see Hearns dishing out a beating on La Motta however it depends if the ref or ring doctor stop the fight. Of course Jake could pull out the late stoppage. Not confident in who to pick.

9. SheenLantern

SheenLantern Active Member Full Member

Jan 13, 2016
  10. TipNom

TipNom Active Member Full Member

Jun 19, 2019
    Hearns by decision

Toney F*** U and Mark Dunham like this.
  11. young griffo

young griffo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 18, 2006
    Hearns on pts if he puts his boxer hat on.

If he goes in seek and destroy mode he gets stopped. La Motta was too strong, tough and granite to be stopped by any welter not called SRR imo despite Tommy being vastly more talented than him.

12. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    A prime example of a fight of match-ups. Hearns if he fights smartly wins this by ud probably easier than
    R.Robinson. R.Robinson would have an easier time with Hearns than with J.Lomatta.

Mark Dunham likes this.
  13. Balder

Balder Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 10, 2012
    If Hearns elects to box and move, he has a good chance to win a decision.

I think he really puts on a clinic for about 3 rounds. But, the bull that is Lamotta would absorb it and keep coming. By the late rounds Tommy gets caught and starts to unravel.

Lamotta is a great boxer too, and has a legendary chin. He is not noted for power, but late in any fight Tommy is vulnerable to even normal power shots. Lamotta more often than not KO's Tommy late.

If they fought 5 times I would give 3 of them to Lamotta. This is a classic and epic fight between 2 ATG. I would pay good money to see it.

ETM likes this.
  14. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
  15. thistle

thistle Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 21, 2016
    my instincts tell me Tommy, not because Jake couldn't take it, but because of Hearns' height & reach, SRR was taller than Jake and Hearns is not quite Ray... but Tommy is in the same top League, Taller and has great power.

Jake could hang and maybe get lucky enough to wear Hearns out, but a lot of LaMotta's wins were against smaller welter/middles.

he did go 10 (I think) with Marshall and lost, so Marshall is probably a better comparison than Robinson.

I think Tommy beats Jake and though Jake's in it and could well ride out distance contests, I think Hearns' Skill, HEIGHT & REACH, secures the Victories.