Tommy Hearns V s Carmen Basilio - Does The Hit Man Get A Stoppage??

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Fergy, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    As it says.
    If the Hit Man beat Basilio at Welterweight, and I think he'd be favored, would the result be by Ko /tko?
    Carmen s a tough nut to Crack, even Robinson couldn't do it at Middle, but could The Hit Man do it here?
    15 Rounds.

2. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    I believe he could. Not Ko him, don't see that happening but have his face that absolutely battered that it's impossible for him to carry on.
    Hearns Welter Weight snake jab would find Carmen's face and start the avalanche of damage.
    Basilio s not gonna give in easily, he'd protest like mad at the stoppage but it's the right decision.

Clinton likes this.
  3. SwarmingSlugger

SwarmingSlugger Active Member Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    I'd favor Tommy with a stoppage on cuts however Tommy was very good at WW but not the killer he was at 154 so Carmen has a chance to break him down.

4. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Tommy would have to win by TKO, because he is not kayoing Carmen. Hell, he may get stopped by him if it last past 13.

5. Melankomas

Melankomas Prime Jeffries would demolish a grizzly in 2 Full Member

Dec 18, 2022
    Doubt it. Basilio's as tough as they come, I don't think he will be able to KO him.

RockyJim likes this.
  6. jabber74

jabber74 Active Member Full Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Bust up his face and eyes with a stoppage on cuts is possible, but not by KO. Basilio was one tough guy.

Clinton likes this.
  7. James Page

James Page Active Member banned Full Member

Mar 21, 2023
    He most certainly could and would.
    I think he would KO him just like he did to Duran. Probably not as early, but same kind, basillo eating one straight off the ropes and landing face first for the count

8. Mike Cannon

Mike Cannon Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Looks like I will be swimming against the tide here, and on my own, obvs Hearns was a beast at WW, and in most posters top 5/6 but there lingers for me the vision of him sliding and wilting in the championship rounds v Leonard, add to that ( again ) his capitulation against Hagler after only 7/8 minutes, albeit he was tagged by Marvin, but Hagler was never a one punch ko artist, I feel that if you can hang with Tommy whether its 3 rounds or 13, he wilts, he was a very good on top fighter, and a destructive puncher for sure, but did he have the grit, doggedness, and will to win of the craggy rough hewn onion farmer, almost certainly a resounding no, Carmen would show utter disdain for the thudding, lighting fast rights he would be forced to take, sure he would bust up, sure he would shed blood from those heavy scar ridden brows, like he has dozens of times in the past, Basilio was made of sterner stuff than the lean, long limbed, skinny legged Hearns, this man trained like a spartan, he was not a ko puncher, didn't dazzle you with footwork, BUT he was there, always there, stalking his opponents, incessantly, coming in low, in that awkward gait, the body punches were dismissed in the early rounds, but by the late stanzas your legs disobeyed you mind, the rounds felt like 5 minutes long not 3 , you have hit him with your best shots, when you were fresh, all to no avail, how now can you subdue Basilio so late in the fight ,your reserves are running out, like sand in a hour glass.......
    stay safe guys.

9. surfinghb

surfinghb Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2017
    great post. you aint swimming against anything ... The only thing I will add is hearns has a chance to last and outpoint imo ... if the fights ends in a KO . .it will be Carmen walking away with the KO W

Mike Cannon likes this.
  10. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    No one thought Hearns would crush Cuevas or Duran the way he did.
    This would be one of those fights were the styles and the physical advantages that Hearns would have over a fighter like Basilio would prove overwhelming.
    Basilio was tough enough to have given Ray Robinson pure hell and beat him.
    Ray Robinson would beat Thomas Hearns, two out of 3 times if they fought , and probably easier than his fights with Basilio.
    But Hearns would crush Basilio, if not an outright ko, would give the ref no choice but to stop the fight for his safety.
    This fight would be a classic demonstration of how styles and physical advantages could be overwhelming for one fighter ( Basilio) Yet wouldn't be to another (Robinson)
    I don't believe Basilio was that much better than Cuevas, (If at all, and wasn't on the same planet with punching power) and he definitely wasn't close to Duran, even at jr.middle..
    Hearns overwhelmed and crush both those fighters. He'd do the same to Basilio.

11. SwarmingSlugger

Nov 27, 2010

First off Cuevas was stopped 7 times in his career, the man did not have the best chin in the world. Duran was only legit kod one time in his 119 fight career to Hearns when he came in cutting weight so bad he was beat before they ever started the fight. Basilio was as tough as they come Hearns might be able to stop him on cuts, but ko? No, Robinson wasnt able to ko Basilio and neither was anyone else, and Hearns wouldnt either.

Reinhardt and Mike Cannon like this.
  12. Flash24

Oct 22, 2015
    If you're going to put out information, do it fairly not to just support your agenda. After his 1st fight ko loss, Cuevas wouldn't be stopped again until he fought Hearns. The vast majority of his ko losses came AFTER the Hearns fight. After Hearns ruined him.
    Was Duran cutting weight? Partying? Doing nose candy? Had a stomach ache? Whatever. The fact is no one before or after K'oed him the way Hearns did. That simple.
    And I love all 3, Cuevas, Duran and Hearns. But those are facts. Hearns was simply a bad match up for them. He'd be a horrible match up for Basilio.
    Think about about this, Hearns reach( 78") would be longer than Basilio was tall (66") Hearns would be over a half a foot taller, was much faster, much more powerful, AND better skilled, with possibly the best jab in history from welterweight to Lt.heavy, against a fighter whose defensive skills were a liability.
    Hearns is all wrong for Basilio. That simple. I noticed you didn't mention that Basilio was koed a couple times himself.
    Hearns would stop Basilio, too. Cleanly or ref or Dr. Stopping the fight.

13. SwarmingSlugger

Nov 27, 2010
    You should take your own advice. Basilio was stopped twice in his fights with Gene Fullmer he was never kod, fact. If Hearns is all wrong for him fine, Im simply stating he would not be kod by Hearns as he wasnt by Robinson or anyone else.
    In fact as we all know Robinson refused to fight Carmen a third time and later regretted it money wise. Btw, I dont have an agenda Im just talking boxing. We all have opinions, its not life or death calm down.

14. Flash24

Oct 22, 2015
    Always a 1st time. If any boxers in history could do it. It would be Thomas Hearns.
    Of course is not life and death. I'm always calm.

15. Berlenbach

Berlenbach Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 27, 2011
    I think it's more likely that Basilio stops Hearns. Basilio basically went even in 30 hard rounds with Robinson, a more formidable fighter than Hearns at 147, and was stopped only twice (both times on his feet and protesting bitterly to the referee) right at the end of his career by the bigger Gene Fullmer. I don't think Tommy could handle Basilio's body attack or his left hook. And if goes past 12 rounds, I know whose stamina will hold up better.

Mike Cannon likes this.