Tommy Hearns Vs Carl Froch ?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Joeywill, Aug 3, 2021.

1. Olu G. Rotimi

Olu G. Rotimi The Right Honourable Lord President of the Council Full Member

May 29, 2007
    My point exactly.

2. Young Terror

Young Terror ★ Griselda ★ Full Member

May 9, 2012
    Had they not fought you would be saying the same thing about iran Barkley and Hearns .

And how did that went?

Brighton bomber likes this.
  3. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    People will try and ignore the Barkley fights or say Barkley was some amazing fighter when he had already 7 losses on his record when facing Hearns.

Froch like Barkley was big, strong and durable and while there's no doubt Hearns was more skilled and had so many more weapons. I'm sure Hearns could out box Froch and win on points but he would probably try for the KO because Hearns liked a tear up at times and with an opponent he would at times dominate and find easy to hit, he'd probably try and take him out and Froch would eventually catch up with him at some point late and turn the fight on it's head like we saw when Hearns fought SRL and Barkley and even Hagler and we saw Froch achieve vs Taylor and Groves.

Hearns is the greater fighter and I much prefer him as a fighter but even as a big Hearns fan I can't help but think this match up doesn't bode well for him based on both fighters track records. It feels like sacrilege to say it as Hearns is so great but styles makes fights and this is at least 2 divisions above Hearn's best weight.

Young Terror likes this.
  4. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Hearns beats the brakes off him

Olu G. Rotimi likes this.
  5. J Jones

J Jones Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 19, 2017
    Virgil Hill treats the hittable and smaller Froch like a double-end bag: jab, jab, jab for a 9-3 or 10-2 type decision.

6. northpaw

northpaw Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 5, 2010
    I see a lot of comments saying that Tommy had no power at SMW, as if Tommy wasn't very likely one of the 20 most highly skilled boxer punchers ever. Whether he could stop Froch or not isn't very relevant, he could most assuredly outbox him over 12. Plus, let's not forget despite Froch's phenomenal chin and durability, he has been hurt and dropped before, and by guys that didn't punch as sharp as Tommy.
    And let's be honest, a hands down style against an elite jabber like Tommy? Nah.............

Also, people pointing to what Barkley did, 1: some guys are just other guys nightmares, 2: Barkley would've been hell against Froch as well. Barkley (despite his record being peppered with losses) was hell for everyone he was in the ring with.

Tommy UD over Froch

Disclaimer: I think Froch was a beast

7. cuchulain

cuchulain VIP Member Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Hearns takes this...118 -110, give or take a round.

On a different level skill wise.

8. Dodgy Syrup

Dodgy Syrup Active Member banned Full Member

Mar 20, 2019
    Fair enough, so he was actually legit at those heavier weights?

That's impressive.

For a man to fight at welterweight, and be well regarded, and to then end up fighting quality opposition at cruiserweight, is quite the feat.

I must confess, I wasn't as informed about Tommy's career as I should have been and I was basing my assessment off of him primarily being a welter/middleweight.

I wasn't aware of how impressive he was at those bigger weights.

In my original comment I basically boiled it down to Hearns being the much more sophisticated boxer, with better all round ability, and gave it to Froch either late on or by points.

Mainly, i concede, because I didn't think he had as much pedigree at light heavy and cruiser and would be considered the naturally smaller man.

That said, I still say we can never know for certain and it is all opinion...which is fine, that's mostly what a forum - people offering opinions.

9. Olu G. Rotimi

May 29, 2007
    He was a freak of nature because it was unbelievable he could make Welterweight. There are even video clips of him sparring with an older Muhammad Ali and giving him a hard time.

10. Olu G. Rotimi

May 29, 2007
    Spot on with your post.

northpaw likes this.
  11. m.s.

m.s. Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Tommy would out box him as long as he respected Froch and didn't get too careless.

12. Sap1en

Sap1en Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 1, 2020
    Froch, Hearns was great but I think he has too much for Hearns at 168.

13. ForemanJab

ForemanJab Deus Vult Full Member

May 8, 2014
    Froch takes a beating then knocks Tommy out late.