Tommy Hearns vs Manny Pacquiao @147

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Dance84, Jan 13, 2020.

Who would win

1. Hearns by Decision

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  2. Hearns by Knockout

67 vote(s)
    89.3%
  3. Pacquiao by Decision

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Pacquiao by Knockout

5 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. Draw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. White Bomber

White Bomber Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2021
    Leonard got lucky Hearns got tired. In a 12 round match, Hearns wins ever time.

AdamT likes this.
  2. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Oh man as great as Pac is I just can't see him handling Hearns.

Pac is great at taking away a jab, often splitting the jab to land a left straight, but damn with an 11 inch reach advantage even if he splits the jab his left hand will fall short by several inches.

The other way he takes away the jab is blocking and parrying with his lead hand a common tactic for a southpaw vs an orthodox fighter but as his first fight with Morales showed if the opponent is tall enough they can simply jab over the lead southpaw right and of course Hearns is way taller than Morales so he'll have no problem landing the jab and I don't think Manilla Ice will be as effective vs Hearns as it was vs Morales in the rematches because Hearns moves better than Morales and controls range more effectively with his lead hand.

Yes Pac's footwork is amazing the way he cuts the distance and rushes guys forcing them back but against someone as big as Hearns that's a lot of distance to cover even for Manny especially with Hearns lead hand which he uses to post against shorter opponents and uses collar ties to push guys down and control them. It's hard to rush a guy when their left hand is blocking your path, which is when Manny usually splits the jab but as I said before that's not going to work against such a huge reach.

Throw in the fact that as a southpaw Pac is open to the right hand which has been proven to be his achilles vs JMM and Hearns has a right compared to JMM's is simply far superior, Hearns KO seems inevitable.

Saad54 likes this.
  3. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Oh come on Morlocks be nice.

It wasn't about the quality of information it was about the confirmation of who you are :lol:

Saad54 likes this.
  4. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    Manny was a great fighter but I can envision an ending similar to Hearns/Duran or Marquez/Manny

5. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    Which underscores that15 rounds was a better measuring stick than 12.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  6. White Bomber

White Bomber Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2021
    No it's not a better measuring stick, it gives an edge to the boxer with more stamina, not to the one with more skills