Tommy Hearns vs. Oscar De La Hoya

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Luigi1985, Oct 10, 2007.

1. cuchulain

cuchulain VIP Member Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    On this forum, I'm usually defending Oscar against JackPresscott, Kayb and other 'haters', but I consider myself objective and a bit more realistic than some of those dudes. That being the case, and considering that Hearns beat Virgil Hill (who subsequently lost a close decision to the current best 200 pounder), I believe that Hearns is just too big and strong for Oscar, who was at his best at 140-147.

Hearns' chin was probably tested more by more big shots in the first two rounds against Hagler than Oscar's was in any fight he's had. At the start of rd 3, he was still unfazed. He was in with lots of other hardhitters as well.

I don't recall Oscar being tested to the same degree.

2. Jbuz

Jbuz Belt folder Full Member

Oct 22, 2004
    Hearns by UD. Oscar's only ever been down with flash KD's, apart from Hopkins' liver shot. He is a great welterweight, and would be very difficult for Hearns.

3. quintonjacksonfan

quintonjacksonfan Active Member Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    How does Oscar have a better chin? He was knocked down by Narciso Valenzuela and Giorgio Campanella at 130 pounds. The only guy to knock down Hearns under 160 pounds was SRL.
    If Hearns could stun Hagler who many think had the greatest chin ever, I'm sure he could KO Oscar at 147 pounds.

4. Robbi

Robbi Marvelous Full Member

Jul 23, 2004
    De La Hoya's chin wasn't tested to the same degree because he started off three divisions below Hearns, who quite obviously faced more physically imposing fighters. Hagler, Barkley, Andries, etc.

The biggest fighter De La Hoya ever shared a ring with was Hopkins, which wasn't a bombs away affair like Hagler v Hearns. He was KO'd with a bodyshot, but he never matched up to Hopkins physically the way Hearns did with Hagler. De La Hoya to his credit took Hopkins' head shots with no problem.

Hearns was in with harder hitters because he could carry the weight up past middleweight and hold his own with the opponents he squared off with as he had power as his equalizer. Roldan, Andries, and Hill among others. De La Hoya clearly never fought opponents with a comparable size because he had limits on how many divisions he could move up.

De La Hoya fought some very good punchers and was never stopped. Quartey, Trinidad, Mosley, and Vargas.

Not only was Hearns stopped more times than De La Hoya, but he was also wobbled and hurt during fights on more occassions than De La Hoya as well.

Nuff said.

5. DaveTheWave

DaveTheWave Man Extraordinaire Full Member

Jul 9, 2007
    All I have to say is that if Oscar thought Ike Quartey hit hard, he'd think a mule kicked him in the head when Tommy landed a good one. Tommy can box just as well, but from longer range, and also bang, much better than Oscar, so I cannot see Oscar making it to the finish.

Hearns KO8

6. istmeno

istmeno Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 6, 2006
    ike quartey gave dlh hell with his boxing ability. and as a technical boxer, he was not on hearns level. plus he did not possess that eraser in his right hand. i can't see dlh getting inside of hearns jab enough to make a difference. to do so, he would have to take some serious chances. against titp dlh was able to stay away from the power with his superior movement. he does not have that luxury here. tommy too big, too fast.
    hitman ko 7

7. cuchulain

cuchulain VIP Member Full Member

Jan 6, 2007

If a man keeps fighting past 47 years old, and at over three stone above where he began, you can expect him to get wobbled occasionally.

It doesn't reflect on his chin at 147.

8. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Mosely throwing "bombs" at 147?

:blood

9. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    I notice ALL your examples are of Hearns at 160 or more excepting one Robbi. Hearns has a helluva lot of fights below 160 vs decent fighters where he didn't have a problem. Hearns was on the downslide vs Kinchen, Barkley and Roldan, and these men are a helluva lot bigger and stronger than DLH and Mosley. Crikey, both were quite natural at 135. We saw what Hearns did to Duran, who has a better chin than both and is a better fighter than both. Certainly loses nothing power wise either. Could you see Mosely and DLH giving Hagler a good fight? I also don't see DLH and Mosely as the big bombers you do at 147. Imagine Hearns red hot poker of a left hook to the body vs DLH after watching Hopkins stop him with a comparatively innocuous shot. DLH is quite simply out of his element.

10. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    Hearns - Cuevas anyone?

:good

11. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    Sure had a top chin tho

;)

12. DaveTheWave

DaveTheWave Man Extraordinaire Full Member

Jul 9, 2007
    Keep in mind, folks, that DLH has blown EVERY big fight he ever fought... He always comes up short- Against someone like Hearns, it would be bad news for the Golden Boy... DLH simply would not be able to deal with the size, length, strength, workrate, and power of Hearns. DLH can be outboxed (Mosely and Quartey), outworked (Mosely), and overpowered/intimidated by power (Hopkins, Trinidad and Quartey). DLH shines against men that are smaller (often much smaller). Even Mosely, who in the scheme of things is not an ATG, whipped him on several levels- and he is smaller and underpowered in comparison to Hearns. Leonard, Hearns, Duran, and Hagler were all on a different level than any of the ones we have watched, with the exception of Hopkins (who belongs in there with anyone in history).

13. Rattler

Rattler Middle Aged Man Full Member

Feb 9, 2005
    If you're gonna call people out, don't be ******ed and make stupid statements like that.

It ruins any pretense of you having a valid argument.

14. Robbi

Jul 23, 2004

Yeah, his power at 147lbs was pretty impressive. Not quite devastating, but not bad.

15. Robbi

Jul 23, 2004
    My arguement is their chins through their careers, not just 147lbs.