Tommy Morrison vs Riddick Bowe

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Balder, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Balder

Balder Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 10, 2012
    How much better was Bowe than Ruddock, Hipp, Foreman, Williams?

Bowe in my opinion is overrated. I would favor Ray Mercer over Bowe as well, and we saw how Tommy lit Mercer up until he got caught.

BCS8 likes this.
  2. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I think this is about right. Unless Tommy got him out early, and it's possible I guess, since he hit like a truck, the more obvious conclusion is that between Bowe's size and heart, and Tommy's prediliction for blowing his wad, Bowe would wear him down in the late rounds.

3. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Good argument.

Balder likes this.
  4. Sting like a bean

Sting like a bean Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Apr 9, 2017
    I'm a honky and I picked Bowe without any caveats. But, to just to play devil's advocate, Morrison flattened Ruddock with a left hook that seemed to have greater effect than any single punch Tyson ever landed on him. He shared several tomato cans with Tyson and dispatched them as early and easily as he did. And, in Mercer's own words, "He was woopin' my ass for the first four rounds". (To be fair to Mercer, I'd not have guessed this if he hadn't said it.)

Morrison was like Bert Cooper or Ray Mercer, and somewhere in between the two in terms of talent. All gifted but inconsistent journeymen who on a good night had the potential to be dangerous to the top guys or give them a hard fight.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  5. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Lets not give Morrison too much credit for the version of Ruddock he beat. The guy was nowhere near what he had been 5 years before. And still Tommy got a bit of a favor on the stoppage.

Pat M likes this.
  6. Big Ukrainian

Big Ukrainian Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Oh I think Bowe is way, WAY better than Joe Hipp. Ask Bruce Seldon and Bert Cooper :)

Also, Ruddock, Foreman and Williams were years past their prime when they fought Morrison.

Philly161, ticar and mrkoolkevin like this.
  7. Sting like a bean

Apr 9, 2017
    I don't know man, he was only thirty-one, and aside from the early Jaco fluke his only losses were to Tyson and Lewis. Sure, he took beatings from those guys, and while it's certainly possible that these three fights reduced him to a shell of his former self, I would insist this is...speculative.

8. Sting like a bean

Apr 9, 2017
    Williams was thirty-four and Ruddock thirty-one. Not prime perhaps, but these two are decent scalps.

His performance against George was a disgrace, and frankly I don't think he won that fight.

Big Ukrainian likes this.
  9. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    That has the ring of truth.

10. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    Why a disgrace? He fought smart and took advantage of his quickness and youth.

ticar likes this.
  11. Sting like a bean

Apr 9, 2017
    He literally turned his back and ran at points, and was rightly booed by the crowd. He should have been disqualified for inactivity -or at the very least warned.

12. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    It's from Morrison's own mouth years after the fact. If he dropped Bowe or ko'd him we'd have sure heard about it. Bowe may have punked out of a 4th round because he was so lazy. At any rate Morrison didn't actually say he whupped him or anything.

13. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    He did turn his back a few times but without that he was boxing well. I remember Tommy throwing a good amount and landing good crisp shots each round. I was impressed that Foreman took so many clean shots without much effect.

ticar likes this.
  14. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    Yea Tommy seemed like an alright dude for the most part. He never talked trash or insulted anyone. No reason to doubt his account of it. We know how Bowe was. Once he won the title he lost his hunger to prove anything. He gained hunger to eat everything. A friend of mine is convinced Bowe is a food addict. IDK if that is even a thing.

BCS8 and JohnThomas1 like this.
  15. KuRuPT

KuRuPT Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2011
    but it's certainly more likely that Razor wasn't as good or as crisp as 5 years earlier.