Toney vs. Tiberi scorecard thread

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mendoza, Nov 23, 2020.

1. FrankinDallas

FrankinDallas Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Have you guys graduated from junior high school yet?

SHADAPBLAD likes this.
  2. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I'll try to get to that one soon. Got me curious about it now. Heard all about it of course, but haven't whipped myself into a firestorm of righteous indignation in a while. I should get on that.

Bokaj likes this.
  3. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Worth noting that Eye On The Ring rates it only 50% controversial. So 50% of people scored it for Toney and 50% of people scored it for Tiberi or a draw.

https://eyeonthering.com/boxing/james-toney-vs-dave-tiberi

Everyone agrees that James won round one and that Dave won 3 and 8, everything else is in dispute on that site.

PhillyPhan69 likes this.
  4. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Toney does have a rather devout fanclub though, whereas Tiberi is a nobody

5. Mod-Mania

Mod-Mania Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 12, 2012
    IMO, Tiberi deserved the decision but it was no where near a robbery on the scale of Lewis-Holyfield I, Whitaker-Chavez or Fenech-Nelson I.

McGrain likes this.
  6. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Yes. And a true fan never feels like that. Sure, everyone has fighters they like less than others, but if you're a fan of the sport you focus on the good parts of it.

McGrain likes this.
  7. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    There's no other sport, really, where fans have such an astonishingly low opinion of other fans. Hardcore fans too, the type of person that thinks fan scorecards matter and take the time to score them.

It's strange brew, this idea that the opinions of fans can't be trusted because they're all so biased in favour of Toney, when the only real bias i've encountered on this forum regarding Toney this month has been against him. Thread after thread running him down and pointing out his worst failings.

Still, even if you are right and a mob of Toney fans has descended upon EOTR to skew the data available for that fight, surely that's possible for every single fighter on that site? Surely Whitaker fans and Oscar fans and Mayweather fans all do the same thing? Funny, then, that a fight like Mayweather-Castillo I is so much more controversial than Tiberi-Toney.

You'd almost think your post was a bit paranoid.

Richmondpete likes this.
  8. TheMikeLake

TheMikeLake Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 17, 2013
    I've scored numerous fights where I'm sure I could score it differently by the day, big deal.

As far as the worst decision I've seen on film, I'd say Augustus-Burton.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  9. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    I, too, thought Julio pulled it out against Pernell.

PhillyPhan69 likes this.
  10. SHADAPBLAD

SHADAPBLAD Viscous Knockouts Full Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Ive seen the first four rounds of Whitaker Chavez and thought Chavez was doing good

11. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I've seen threads where anybody passing by posting something even mildly critical of Toney or expressing a less than glowing view of him have been set upon from all angles :eek: Tiberi has no fans, because he didn't really accomplish anything other than beating Toney. So I'd expect him to have less supporters than James. That was my simple point.

Saad54 and Mendoza like this.
  12. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    I saw the fight live ( Without scoring it ) and said that was a terrible decision on the same day.

In case you missed it today, gave I gave the score card for Tiberi vas Toney. I also offered to score a round we disagreed on but your have no interesting doing that. Gee I wonder why? We do not have to use Zoom, just agree to watch round 4, then we can say why we felt so nd so won it.

Unlike yourself who contradicts often I'm not going from the worst filmed robbery ever to a close fight. Those are your words. Hilarious. I side with the older McGrain, not the one who might have some some rooting interests in him.

13. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    Chavez vs Whitaker stinks. Whitaker won that fight easily. Agreed 116-112 for Tiberi is a good card. And like I said that low blow deduction stinks too.

Reinhardt likes this.
  14. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    And i've told you perhaps as many as twelve times now, that is meaningless. Scoring round by round can throw up all sorts of differences.

I know this because I did the same thing. I saw it live and thought "robbery". I scored the fight and thought "hmm, that was actually much closer than I thought it would be". Something you have bizarrely been gloating over all day like it proves anything but your oddness.

I'm talking about MY scorecard, dummy. MY scorecard. You don't have a "first scorecard" for me, just an opinion that it was a robbery - the poster I was replying to was discussing that a change in scorecards is not abnormal, and i had to tell him that you don't have two of my scorecards to compare and contrast, juts an earlier opinion (saw the fight, wrongly assumed something) with a scorecard (closer than i thought it would be).

Please try extremely hard to understand what it is i have written in order to avoid wasting my time. Think about what has been said, not what you think has been said.

What the **** are you talking about you simpleteon? Where did I say I had no interest in doing that? Explain yourself.

So you want me to watch round four of Toney-Tiberi again? Why don't you just say that? Is that what you want? You want me to watch round 4 of the fight again and say what I think?

Yeah, i'm sure you side with the McGrain who hadn't scored the fight over the one that did.

That is how stupid you are.

Tin_Ribs and Loudon like this.
  15. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    @ McGrain.

Your now becoming a runner. Thumping this chest for a scorecard, and not willing to score a round I think you gave to Toney to make it closer on your card. Yes, lets score round 4 of Tiberi vs Toney. Are we on? I sense some bad judging on your part to make a fight you once called the BIGGEST ROBBERY ON FILM closer.

Does one really need a score card to see and call a robbery? Nope.

114-114 GGG vs Canelo 1. LOL, . Can I see that card? Like I told you are in the minority.

You are showing me nothing besides, oh I changed my mind every time I call you out. I've noticed that since I have been calling you out your contradictions, you need to get personal because your have nothing else to say. That is stupid. Do you have to go there beause you must? I think so. Personal attacks are a problem on this board.

Should I quote you more arguing with yourself? :) You are at my mercy on your BS. Say one thing, wake up anther day and vastly change it.