Tonight’s Boxing

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Scissors, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Momus

Momus Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    That's why I found the decision difficult to stomach. Ryder seemed to be the better in any and every area used to score boxing. He landed more punches, better punches, showed more effective aggression, better defence, and controlled the action for most of the fight and imposed his fight on Smith more than vice versa.

From what we saw on the screen, I don't get that it was a difficult fight to score. A close fight yes, but Ryder won more rounds than Smith did.

Like I said in an earlier post, the only reservation I have is that there was a different perception on the screen compared to ringside (which can happen). The compubox figures though seem to suggest that from a ringside seat Smith wasn't landing that many clean punches either.

2. Hattonmad

Hattonmad Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Smith couldn't hit a cows backside with a banjo as they say. I was very impressed with Ryder's head movement. There was a time he used his head as defence.

If Hearn can't do the right thing by giving Ryder a rematch, I hope he can look after him with another big fight. He has three quality supermiddleweights there. Two world champions and another who should be a world champion.

3. Holler

Holler Doesn't appear to be a paid matchroom PR shill Full Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Ryder played ball in the post fight chat with Sky. Said he thought he'd won but that it was a tight fight, respect to Callum etc. All with Eddie looming behind him like a giant moonfaced censor. Eddie then went on to praise him in return, saying he would definitely come again, challenge for further titles etc etc.

The subtext I took from it, which may be nonsense, is that Ryder will be looked after.

CutThroatFade and Citizen Smith like this.
  4. Bridie mcmahon

Bridie mcmahon Active Member banned Full Member

Sep 10, 2015
    Ryder reacted with class so credit to him.you're probably right about Hearn but I'm sure Ryder will still be gutted.

CutThroatFade, Twentyman and Holler like this.
  5. Hattonmad

Hattonmad Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Fingers crossed. Ryder is a classy guy and he's usually in entertaining fights. I'm a fan!

Twentyman and Holler like this.
  6. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009

My card was as follows

1. Smith (close)
    2. Ryder (close)
    3. Ryder
    4. Smith (close)
    5. Ryder
    6. Smith (close)

7. Ryder (wide)
    8. Ryder (wide)
    9. Smith
    10. Ryder
    11. Ryder (huge round for Ryder, stiffened Callum up 3 times)
    12. Ryder

116-112 to Ryder the peoples champion

I see we agree on the last 6. But many of the first 6 rounds were close and it is possible to disagree on those rounds, as we do.

7. Citizen Smith

Citizen Smith Active Member Full Member

Jul 12, 2019
    ok thanks, I have Smith taking the first 3, the 6th and the 10th (just)

8. Citizen Smith

Citizen Smith Active Member Full Member

Jul 12, 2019
    Some of the rounds needed a couple viewings, yes.

9. Holler

Mar 12, 2018
    Of course, it's hard to see how he could've done any more than he did. 12 rounds of graft and bravery. Take my hat off to him.

Yeah me too. Last couple of years he's been getting better and better.

10. Holler

Mar 12, 2018
    I think the gap was the biggest problem. If it had been by 1 round in Smith's favour then all those subjective points about close rounds, what style of boxing different individuals value etc could all come into play. It's a very subjective sport after all. Even the dreadful old 'in a champions back yard', would've been trotted out...

Yes if you had Ryder winning you'd still be gutted, but it wouldn't stick in the throat as much as those cards did.

Twentyman and Scissors like this.
  11. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    115-113 to Ryder. I agree with you that Callum won the first 3 rounds and the 6th. I also gave him the 8th. As @Holler mentioned, I would have found a very close decision to Smith barely palatable and could have accepted a draw just about...but to just give him 3-4 rounds...wow, I don’t know what they were watching.

It’s not Smith’s fault though and I’ll continue to support him. I do think the weight drain is affecting him, especially the way he faded in the second half of the fight. I do wish him and Gallagher had given more props to Ryder and acknowledged that a rematch is the only way to settle it. The outcry at the Froch v Groves 1 finish was enough to force the rematch so hopefully Smith and Gallagher will give Ryder that.

12. kojak

kojak Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 22, 2012
    I think we need to be careful about 'if it was just 1 or 2 rounds to Smith it would be suggestive talk'.

You either score rounds correctly to fighters or not, if it's that close you score it a draw round.

The phrase 'it's what you like' is just a cop out.

Scorecards dont define a robbery. If the result is the wrong result, it's a robbery. Scorecards only make it look bigger then it was.

Boxing has clear scoring criteria, the main factor being clean punches landed.

Stuff like volume / power should be taken on balance after the former and only if you cant split the fighters on clean punches landed.

Even then power should only be used if its affecting the opponent.

That's why Hearn loves the old 'I had it by 1 round, maybe 2, but it could of gone either way'

'At the end of the day, it's down to what you like'

There's usually a reason he says these things.

Holler likes this.
  13. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Glad he listened.

This content is protected