Tony Bellew

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Scissors, May 5, 2018.

1. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Cleverly is a light heavy, you’re right, but Bellew is a cruiserweight. They fought each other at their own weights and are one a piece.

Makabu has won his two previous fights since the defeat to Bellew, so he’s rebuilding. It was a vicious knockout.

One of the best British fighters of recent times, mate, no matter what you say.

Scissors and moog like this.
  2. pow

pow Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 26, 2014
    This is where I have to disagree. Conservatively I think anyone in the top 20 Heavy's and Top 10 cruisers would have defeated that version of David Haye. He was not fit to fight at that level and shouldn't have been allowed in the ring. It was fairly obvious his balance, timing and speed were completely gone and most significantly his power.

IMO these two fights can only be viewed as exhibition pieces.

Not many had heard of Makubu and he bought to the ring a heavily padded record. Not discrediting Tony's performance though he got the job done against a guy who was a dangerous puncher.

3. Twentyman

Apr 20, 2016
    Was he favourite in any of these fights though? He has been written off countless times but when he wins they are discredited.

4. STEPHEN1990

STEPHEN1990 Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 22, 2017
    and he couldn't even stop nathan lol and I bet makabu gets beat or stopped again

5. Twentyman

Apr 20, 2016
    Cleverly didn’t stop him either, what’s your point. Yes, chances are Makabu will lose again sometime in his career like almost all fighters do.

6. STEPHEN1990

Aug 22, 2017
    that was nathan post kovalev lol he wasn't the same fighter lol he wasn't even throwing punchers and imo makabu is trash and bellews title is a paper one

7. pow

pow Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 26, 2014
    He was underdog in the first fight but information regarding Hayes injured Achilles had been withheld. Anyone who backed Haye financially in the second fight only has themselves to blame for their loss. Yes, Tony has come good against perceived adversity, but was it really? Makubu was cherry picked for Goodison and Haye was injured. In reality he wasn't up against it at all. These are not Usyk's, Gassievs or Wards.

Fhaggis likes this.
  8. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Agree Sky could turn fight v super 6 into big fight, as it would be. I disagree about him being technically poor he's actually technically very good.

Scissors likes this.
  9. channy

channy 4.7.33 banned Full Member

Feb 2, 2015
    I predict pretty ricky conlan will fight a stuntman next!!!

the script has already been written.

10. Twentyman

Apr 20, 2016
    Mate, having a debate with you is like having a cack in my hand and clapping. You’re going to tap away on your keyboard, knocking other people’s achievements regardless so i’ll just leave you to it.

Scissors likes this.
  11. Twentyman

Apr 20, 2016
    Only with hindsight are people downgrading his achievements. Before hand, we get pages upon pages of people saying he’s going to get knocked out.

Scissors and pow like this.
  12. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Cherry picked, Mukabu was actually handpicked by WBC, was mandated for title shot. Guy was avoided, was Seen as a beast of division, and was favourite, unusual for some one hand picked!!

13. STEPHEN1990

Aug 22, 2017
    lol it wouldn't be fun if we all agree what fighters we rate and don't rate lol

Twentyman likes this.
  14. Ted Spoon

Ted Spoon Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 10, 2005
    It's a difficult one for Bellew. The underdog rightfully wants credit for winning again, but the fact is Haye was clearly shot (not just past prime), and so where's the merit in victory?

15. Twentyman

Apr 20, 2016
    Ok, you won me back round with that post :) Fair play.

Liverpool82 likes this.