Tony Bellew

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Scissors, May 5, 2018.

1. Cally

Cally Sand...sand... nothing but sand! Full Member

Sep 12, 2015
    Whether x or z was picked , this and that.. There's no denying tony has been pretty solid since moving weight and has certainly improved as a fighter over the past few years...

I'd even go as far to say he's the most improved fighter in the game...
    He looks better now than he ever has..

Twentyman and pow like this.
  2. pow

pow Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Cannot disagree that at the time Makubu was a heavy favourite, peoples minds were still tainted by the Cleverly PPV which was a complete disaster. Bellews name was mud going into that fight and I think this was seen as a win or loose swansong. He has had quite a remarkable run since. As I said before it was a great performance against a dangerous puncher.

He was also mandated to fight Briedes but chose a voluntary against BJ Flores instead and then a cash fight against Haye. Make of that what you will.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    Twentyman likes this.
  3. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    No he had to fight Bredies or Haye and took right option.

4. pow

Apr 26, 2014
    Umm...yes. He took his voluntary against BJ Flores and then avoided Briedis his mandatory. It was fairly obvious they had no intention of fighting Briedis as they used the BJ flores fight to set up the David Haye fight. He was 'cherry picked' by matchroom for his relative low risk and most importantly social links to David Haye. Good work from Eddie and the team.

5. Peterp

Peterp Well-Known Member Full Member

May 1, 2006
    i like Tony, his post fight interview was good and honest

He is not a top top fighter, but he is close and deserves a few good paydays before retiring

6. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    You were implying he dodged Bredis with last part of your original post on matter. Haye wss seen as more dangerous than Bredies so Bellew deserved balls and properly earned 15x more fighting Haye 1st time than if he thought Bredies. Your right gr8 work by Bellew team.

Scissors likes this.
  7. pow

Apr 26, 2014
    Briedies was on the under card of the Flores fight and was barely mentioned. Tony, Eddie and David had pretty much arranged this after the Makubu win. I am not saying it was completely planned but definitely a case of 'the right place at the right time' and the numbers adding up and looking very good. There is no way they thought David as being more dangerous than Breides it was simply a case of making more money. Coldwell was licking his lips at this fight and has said since the beginning that Haye was physically broken down.

8. DJN16

DJN16 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2013
    I rarely disagree with you, Twentyman and Scissors ... But he aint world class. He has beaten big names but only faced one world class fighter in their prime in Stevenson.
    A good career with some great matchmaking. Fair play to Bellew though.

Liverpool82 likes this.
  9. pow

Apr 26, 2014
    I would be interested to hear the opinions of Shane Mcguigan and Ismael Salas about Hayes physical condition and training in the build up to both fights.

Scissors and Liverpool82 like this.
  10. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Likewise mate, you’re a quality poster.

Scissors, Liverpool82 and DJN16 like this.
  11. Liverpool82

Liverpool82 Member Full Member

Nov 16, 2010
    Firstly great win by Bellew regardless of him not fighting a prime Haye.
    Lots saying about bellews level in boxing - but his biggest critic is himself. He openly says he's not the best boxer - but clearly makes up with other attributes.
    Haye said he (bellew) made enough enough to retire After their first fight - I hope he does now he's obviously earned more for the rematch.

12. Babalinguaneck

Babalinguaneck New Member Full Member

Nov 14, 2014
    He's absolute garbage, he beat a guy with no tendons left! The fake honesty makes me feel sick, twat!

13. Mr Icaman

Mr Icaman 32-0 WBC Champ, Ring + Lineal HW Champ Full Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Well calling our Fury* shows you how serious he is about taking over the HW scene..

* He was not calling I repeat not calling out Dusseldorf Fury because that one would jab him into oblivion and he might not get home to his kids ok..

He is calling out ring rust Fury because he reckons he could KO that one... What a guy..

14. Here's Johnny

Here's Johnny Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 18, 2015
    WOW. The general consensus on Tony Bellew has boomeranged on this forum. Some fickle people. He’s gone from getting far too much harsh criticism to too much praise in the space of two joke fights. Haye had no business in a ring at any level last night but Bellew was brilliant, unbelievably sharp. Haye must really be so so skint because he knew and knows he has no chance of winning these fights.

pow and 305th like this.
  15. STEPHEN1990

STEPHEN1990 Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 22, 2017
    I know the rocky story line makes you sick lol