Tony Bellew's post fight talk

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by rski, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Sephiroth Rising 7

Sephiroth Rising 7 'No tears please!' banned Full Member

Sep 27, 2016
    The op is a clown.

He is ok with fighters talking about ending people's life and putting them in coma's, but he it disgraceful when a fighter who has just defied the odds after being written off by an entire nation, to take credit for their victory.

Twentyman likes this.
  2. Hankey89

Hankey89 Member Full Member

Apr 9, 2016
    Defied the odds, he beat an injured guy... be like someone bragging about beating Usain Bolt if he ruptured his achilles halfway through a race.

3. Sephiroth Rising 7

Sep 27, 2016
    What on earth are you talking about?

An injury to an participant does not nullify or dilute a win in a race?

There are numerous participants and if one breaks down, which has happened many a time, the winner will still rightly receive the plaudits and medals.

No one will mention the injured participant to downplay the victor.

It's a poor example, so try and think of another.

4. rski

rski Well-Known Member Full Member

May 12, 2013
    ok I can admit using the word disgraceful might have been a bit overboard but I was very irritated hearing tony talking in that interview and the post fight stuff. harping on about holding Haye up and being merciful with the "stop it David dont make me hurt you rubbish". Its just too much, Tony is being very dramatic and he is also not seeing the whole picture.

Haye was just doing some Tyson like trash talking and Bellew is using that to paint himself as this heart of gold guy, while Haye is scum of the earth. come on, vomit inducing stuff if you ask me, liek Toney never said anything bad?

I like Tony as well but some of this post fight stuff is laughable, he seems to be trying to say his punches were sending Haye all over the place, do you really believe that? He won but he didnt walk down and mentally beat Haye like he seems to think, if anything he couldnt break Haye at all.

5. lepinthehood

lepinthehood When I'm drinking you leave me well alone Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
    imagine what haye would be saying now had he won lol

6. Sephiroth Rising 7

Sep 27, 2016
    He's certainly milking the victory, I give you that.

However to suggest it's been disgraceful considering the way Haye has behaved is ridiculous.

Bellew could easily continued to be bitter and rubbed it in Hayes face and said no rematch. I know you will argue that he has to rematch haye, but the reality is he has a good few big name heavyweights as options who would offer a similar pay day.

So bellew in my view has been generous.

7. lepinthehood

Aug 27, 2011
    does he really have to rematch haye? just because he said he would. hes already beaten davids ass/

8. Sephiroth Rising 7

Sep 27, 2016
    No he doesn't. The only reason bellew took the fight, because he wanted to prove that this new version of Haye 2.0 was a fraud who was conning the public fighting bums.

He saw haye as a big money fight and the best time to fight him. I doubt he'd be bargaining for a fight with a prime haye. Just like he isn't calling out Joshua, because he knows it's a genuine mismatch.

He's done what he's set out to do.

Besides the payday there is no other reason for Haye to begging for a rematch, it will prove nothing. We know undoubtedly that he wouldn't stand up to any of the top 5 heavies, we know he can't go through tough camps. We know he doesn't have the same reflexes and getting revenge over a cruiserweight who has gone up in weight - who before saturday night, many thought was nothing more than a plodder -proves absolutely nothing except gaining back a bit of pride.

9. lepinthehood

Aug 27, 2011

Haye 1.0 wasnt exactly an atg either, but some believe he is.

10. rski

May 12, 2013
    I agree Bellew could have been a lot worse to Haye, I did think he was very classy approaching Haye after the fight but since then he has been very passive aggressive. I'd like to believe he is being civil because he is genuine but I can't help thinking he is playing the salt of the earth card, "Haye wanted to put me in hospital but I dont want to hurt anyone".

I also have doubts about him offering a rematch, we dont know for sure that he will yet. will he want to risk losing after this? not sure about that, after all this talk of beating Haye down.

All I know is at the moment Tony looks like he is talking rubbish while Haye is just going with the fact he was just injured and not milking the excuse, he doesnt have to, he even said these things happen and admitted Toney was injured as well. Its clever, he is letting Tony talk himself into looking silly with this "I beat David mentally and physically", when footage clearly shows the injury caused the fight to change course, not Tony, who was arguably losing.

11. rski

May 12, 2013
    yes he was beating David's ass, after the injury, until that point it was looking like his own ass could have been getting beat

12. lepinthehood

Aug 27, 2011
    the bookies robbed the public, as they were all convinced that haye the destroy would KO bellew with the first jab he landed.

deluded people around :D

13. Sephiroth Rising 7

Sep 27, 2016
    I don't really care if the rematch takes place or not. I just find it laughable how many people who thought and wanted haye to win, are finding any little excuse to criticise bellew, after they were adamant that he didn't stand a chance whatever happened if they were to fight.

They were silent when Haye was dishing out verbal abuse and overstepping the mark announcing that he was looking to cause permanent damage, yet bellew makes a few braggart type comments, and now he's the one out of line.

Twentyman likes this.
  14. andy2402

andy2402 New Member Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    I wouldn't say his comments are disgraceful l, he's just milking the win and after Hayes talk why not. At the end of the day both men had to prepare correctly for the fight , one put on too much muscle which caused the injury imo . Tony came I ln lighter but obviously there was a risk with that also. Tony's approach payed off. There is more to boxing than turning up on the night.

Saying that though, I get the impression tony has seen alot on social media about how haye was injured and these comments are him venting on that. I also find it a bit rich how he's playing the angelic routine when we all know who he is really. How can he on the one hand thank haye for making his kids rich and on the other criticise him for the hype. If of had to put a value on all that in extra buys it would be a fair few

rski likes this.
  15. rski

May 12, 2013
    I admitted disgraceful was probably not the best description, so apologies for the thread title, irritating is probably a better choice of words :tonguecrazy:

Twentyman likes this.