Tony Fulilangi

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mr. magoo, Oct 18, 2021.

1. mr. magoo

mr. magoo Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Anyone know anything about this guy ?

2. fists of fury

fists of fury Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Name rings a bell, but honestly I can't recall anything about him off the top of my head.

mr. magoo likes this.
  3. GoldenHulk

GoldenHulk Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 7, 2007
    I remember watching him losing to George Foreman and Bert Cooper, that's about all though.

mr. magoo likes this.
  4. Rope-a-Dope

Rope-a-Dope Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2015
    He was being hyped a bit at the time. He ran up a decent record by beating a bunch of randoms. His loss to Monte Masters should have been the obvious tipoff that he wasn't that good. He beat Jimmy Young, but Young was Jimmy Old at that point. When Fulilangi started fighting real fighters who weren't totally washed up (Foreman, Cooper), he was greatly outclassed and retired probably at the right time.

5. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    He famously took a dive against George Foreman during Foreman's comeback.

Admitted it later.

Rick "Elvis" Parker promoted some of George's comeback fights. Parker was famous for fight fixing. He ended up being murdered by Tim "Doc" Anderson, who Foreman fought and who Larry Holmes fought on his comeback the night Larry dropkicked Trevor Berbick in the parking lot.

Anderson, I believe, claimed Parker drugged him when he wouldn't take a dive. Then Anderson killed him.

Anderson fought on the Foreman-Fulilangi card. Doc "fell down" against Tommy Morrison's brother, Tim.

I remember going to a Bobby Hitz boxing card in Chicago. Everyone who lost on the undercard all seemed to be from somewhere in Indiana. When I was leaving after the show, everyone who lost got in the same van and they all drove away.

Should've just put a bump sticker on the van saying "THE OPPONENTS."

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    Garrus, fists of fury, Pat M and 2 others like this.
  6. Smokin Bert

Smokin Bert Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Bert Cooper really laid a beating on that guy.

OP_TheJawBreaker and mr. magoo like this.
  7. Clinton

Clinton Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Jimmy Old lol. Nice touch

8. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Thank you. I was losing my mind trying to remember Monte Masters.

9. CANNONBALL

CANNONBALL Active Member Full Member

Mar 18, 2007
    Tony was a dangerous puncher at a certain level and had wins over the usual journeymen that most prospects feasted on around that time - Mark Wills, Harvey Steichen, Mike Jameson, Ron Gibbs, Nick Wells, Dean Waters etc

The loss to Monte Masters for the spurious WAA HW title kind of put Tony's higher level ambitions into perspective and draws with Tony Perea and a past it Jimmy Young didnt help his case much either but i think Fulilangi was quite popular in Phoenix and had a bit of local support. At his level he was a pretty exciting knockout puncher but was in way too deep against Cooper and Foreman

mr. magoo likes this.