Tony Galento vs Gerry Cooney

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Ken Ashcroft, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Perry

Perry Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 26, 2015
    No one is saying he hit harder than Tua. Reread the statement.

2. It's Ovah

It's Ovah I'm your huckleberry, that's just mah game Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    If Louis had taken half the shots Lewis took in his career he'd still be sleeping today.

mrkoolkevin likes this.
  3. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    I don't think so Cooney would be throwing from his left side which if anything would make him vulnerable to the right hand which Galento didn't have to speak of.Galento cut easily, was a sucker for a jab which he didn't possess himself,had cement in his feet and was horribly open to incoming fire.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    Pat M and mrkoolkevin like this.
  4. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    I don't think so Cooney would be throwing from his left side which if anything would make him vulnerable to the right hand which Galento didn't have to speak of.Gelento cut easily, was a sucker for a jab which he didn't possess himself,had cement in his feet and was horribly open to incoming fire.

5. SHADAPBLAD

SHADAPBLAD Viscous Knockouts Full Member

Feb 15, 2017
    the amount of disrespect for galento is outstanding. i believe most of you are blind to the natural talent and learned abilities that galento possessed simply due to the size of his waist. the rest simply havent seen him fight. he was a marvel at getting inside and a very tricky once he got there. he could sneak his left hook in through odd angles, between incoming fire or with feints. he also had a chin that couldnt get cracked and an underrated jab. you call yourselves boxing junkies, but refuse to accurately rate a fighter because he liked to eat! is duran a "sucker" because he liked food? is toney a "bum" because he liked food? what does cooney have, a big left hook, what else? i guess cooney wins because hes... six foot six? because he fought better opponents? which he all lost to save for a faded young?

reznick and Mr.DagoWop like this.
  6. Perry

Apr 26, 2015
    Wrong. Trading hooks with a dangerous hooker whose only chance of winning is landing that hook is dumb strategy. If you have the reach and can use it the last thing you want to do is step inside.

7. Perry

Apr 26, 2015
    Galento won eleven straight bouts by KO to get his title shot. He then lost to Louis and became leading contender again in his very next bout by stopping Nova. Again the guy was a feared puncher in his time and was the legit leading contender for that title. He was supposed to get a return bout with Louis because of that KO win over Nova. Galento was as tough as the come and he hit like a mule.

8. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I cant name two sports writers off the top of my head, but it is something you see from time to time.

One biography even talks of Louis being "annoyed by what the papers were saying that Nova was going to do to him".
    Max Baer was enjoying an Indian summer at the time, and some people were openly speculating that he might beat Louis in a rematch. Maxies Gal details a lot of this on her website.

In the fight with Tommy Farr, Nova had him out on his feet at the end of the 14th. Farr was given a standing count, which was almost unheard of at the time. People pointed out that neither Louis nor Baer had been able to do this to Farr, and it got people talking.

Given that Galento was coming off his loss to Louis, and was always regarded with skepticism anyway, it should not come as a shock that Nova was expected to drill him.

9. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    Louis took the shots that Lewis took and more, and nobody ever knocked him out with a single punch.

I am sorry if this is inconvenient for you.

reznick likes this.
  10. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Thank you for pointing out the rediculous double standards of the people who repeat the same 90's Boxiana stories.

Reminds me of the people who think Rocky was slow.

SHADAPBLAD likes this.
  11. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Cooney had next to no right hand and would have to make use of his hook at various stages. Something as simple as a jab-right cross-hook to the body/head would work well here i reckon.

12. Perry

Apr 26, 2015
    Galento was short and fought in a crouch. Going to the body would be an unwise move vs such a banger.

SHADAPBLAD likes this.
  13. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Cooney is the banger. He has the power to get Galento out of there pronto. He wouldn't need to go against his strengths. A good hook to the body or head puts him on the fast path to victory. If he had one thing it was enormous power in the hook. This cannot really be disputed.

Pat M likes this.
  14. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    Incidentally if Cooney did beat Galento, it would be by far the best win on his ledger, and might even warrant some reevaluation of him.

15. Perry

Apr 26, 2015
    Galento was a huge banger and he had the wallop to KO Cooney. Stooping in to throw a hook to the body against such a short opponent would be an unwise strategy as he then is in reach to be koed.