Top 35 All Time reveal - Boxing Survey Series

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Rumsfeld, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Rumsfeld

Rumsfeld Moderator Staff Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Interesting points you make here, and without tipping anyone off just yet, semi-related I'm working on the Bantamweight breakdown now - and the way the points were allocated there was quite different. Hoping to have that done in 32-48 hours. I should still be able to have it up in about 30, but I have another obligation/deadline that's splitting my attention this week.

Webbiano likes this.
  2. Rumsfeld

Jul 19, 2004
    I have no immediate plans to do that at this time. But I may get to it. Just that, if I do, it probably will not be until next year.

lufcrazy and PhillyPhan69 like this.
  3. Rumsfeld

Jul 19, 2004
    Incidentally, I might be crazy, but I still believe I have a good chance of having this mostly (if not fully) wrapped by early Sept. Don't hold me to that, but I think I can reasonably get it done in that time frame.

mcvey, Webbiano and lufcrazy like this.
  4. Rumsfeld

Jul 19, 2004
    And also, only 1 minor issue left on the All Time list. 2 of the 3 have been confirmed, and the other I'm fairly certain I already interpreted correctly.

lufcrazy and Webbiano like this.
  5. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    No.

Gomez was absolutely not a great FW. A great SBW yes, but FW no.

6. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    LMW didn't exist in Rays day.

7. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    Spot on, that's exactly it.

Jel likes this.
  8. Gudetama

Gudetama Active Member Full Member

Sep 11, 2017
    I can see both sides of this "weight ranking" argument.
    People don't like to hear this, but ranking the new divisions (post-weigh-in changes) alongside the traditional ones would actually produce more accurate results.
    For example,

1)ranking new light-welterweights on the same lists as old welterweights

Would produce a fairer list than:

2) ranking current welterweights on the same lists as old welterweights

Sad but true.

9. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    But there’s no super bantamweight division recognized in this exercise. So anyone between bantam and feather is a featherweight. Which means his resume can count there.

If we’re going to be strict, a ton of LaMotta’s results were when he was over 160 so by his day a light heavyweight. He’s clearly not a top-15 175-pounder and he didn’t accomplish much at middle apart from beating up people who were actually junior middleweights by today’s weight classes and even pure welters, so he probably shouldn’t be eligible.

But I think you could make an argument that Marciano and Dempsey were among the best cruisers of all time, just as you could for Jake in the 168-pound division, which is where he spent most of his career (above 160) — albeit fighting much smaller men.

Gudetama likes this.
  10. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    The SBW division is recognised, it just isn't included in the survey.

11. Gudetama

Sep 11, 2017
    I'd go one step further by saying I'd put Greb and Fitzsimmons as the top two 168lbers of all time.
    Just because the 168lb division wasn't official, doesn't mean I exclude their wins at any weight below 175lb, compared to others.
    I think my way (by weight, talent, and performance) is better than semantics (oh... the division has a name... stick to the division name!!! What?!).
    And to counter the argument about lack of film footage of the fighters above ... why not rank Marciano or Patterson as top 5 or 10 Cruisers? I do.
    Well, anyway, I think we should.
    But then, I am quite drunk.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  12. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    You're definitely not the first guy to think like this. Fleaman does it, too.

lufcrazy and Gudetama like this.
  13. Gudetama

Sep 11, 2017
    Fleaman has forgotten more about boxing than I could ever hope to learn in my lifetime. But, by way of a silly, drunken, subjective, justification...
    If people submitted their lists of official SuoerMiddles (Calzaghe, Kessler, Ward, etc.), what chance would they stand against my top 10 motley crew?
    1. Greb
    2. Fitzsimmons
    3. Langford
    4. Jones Jr
    5. Charles
    6. Choynski
    7. Conn
    8. Moore
    9. Toney
    10. Hopkins
    Just sayin...

George Crowcroft likes this.
  14. Gudetama

Sep 11, 2017
    I just think... don't talk about the weight disparity at Heavyweight, while conveniently forgetting all other other divisions, even if the differences are much smaller (is WW Napoles really comparable in size to Errol Spence?)
    Time for some of us to use our eyes instead of facts and figures. It's a sport, not a mathematical equation. Follow your heart

15. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    I've never seen him have a SMW list with Greb and Fitz, but then again he might have done and I might have missed it I suppose.