Train for boxing competition, not for recovery

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by dealt_with, Feb 26, 2013.

1. scrap

scrap Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 15, 2006
  2. KillSomething

KillSomething Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Hella fun though. :deal

(I like to do them on grass so that I can bail if need be...hasn't ever happened but I'd hate to be on a road if it did)

3. scrap

Jul 15, 2006
    Funny, you react quicker when falling, looking on the Bright side. :D

4. r1p00pk

r1p00pk Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 12, 2012

alright so sprinting two times a week is efficient enough cardio wise,

uphill sprinting 100 yards then in two days normal springs 60 meters

appreciate it dealt with :happy great thread, really interesting stuff. Look forward to another thread.

5. scrap

Jul 15, 2006
    What you should be looking at for Speed Running, is find a track. Working on a rolling start !0 meter jog then Hit it for 30 meters, then jog through 20 meters, then walk back then go again. To test form get in the middle lane, as you start everything is all clear do it, nobody else about. Shut your eyes while doing it, see which lane you finish up in, tells you a lot. :D.

6. MagnificentMatt

MagnificentMatt Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 11, 2006
    You need both. Damn these threads are getting old.

7. xRedx

xRedx Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 17, 2012
    You need both but long distance is more crucial.

8. xRedx

xRedx Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 17, 2012
    The best aerobic response is running as fast as you can for a long distance. You claim that it is only 30% of your peak power but what does that even mean? I don't think you can label things like that, it has a relative aspect.

Long distance develops endurance and tenacity which is crucial to any sport. When you play sports like basketball or boxing, there are short bursts of energy required such as sprints and exchanges which anaerobic helps but like I said on average there isn't a high enough level of activity to place aerobic over anaerobic.

Even a good enough long distance runner becomes a good sprinter. It also takes much longer to develop long distance running skills but sprinting skills can be developed easier which is why it is less important than long distance running.

9. KillSomething

KillSomething Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Think of it this way. A football player spends 75% of the game just sitting on the sidelines or walking around. I promise you that isn't what they train for though.

You spend more of the fight not fighting than you do fighting, but the fighting is what counts :good

If what you're saying is true, then Kenyans should dominate boxing.

10. Primate

Primate Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 16, 2010
    :verysad

11. Bogotazo

Bogotazo Amateur Full Member

Oct 17, 2009
  12. pecho26

pecho26 ESB Lurker Full Member

Nov 19, 2010
    ........................and here it comes......

13. scrap

Jul 15, 2006
    Improves Proprioceptive ability, and response, by moving whats under you. He makes it look easy, its not. Probably the best young Footballer in the Country. It appears, when on the deflated Ball its easy, its not, one of the best Cor routines there is. On the logs and skateboards, theres some very interesting stuff going on, have a shot at what it is. :D

14. dealt_with

dealt_with Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Do you know how anaerobic basketball is? It's even far more anaerobic than boxing is. You should never have basketball players going for continuous runs. Basketball is either go hard and explosive or don't go at all.
    When I say 30% I'm talking about the power output measured at VO2max compared to the same persons peak power during a sprint or cycle. The fastest marathon runner in the world is running at a low intensity whether you like it or not.
    To improve VO2max you need to be at VO2max or above it for as long as possible. On a long run if you hit your VO2 max you are stopping running, that's it, you're done. With Intervals you hit that VO2max, stop to recover a bit, then go again and hit that VO2max and repeat. Which is why it is scientifically proven that Intervals increase aerobic fitness more than continuous runs. Not to mention the superior gains in ability to clear lactate and the increase in OBLA compared to continuous training.
    You've got your mind stuck on an idea that doesn't make any sense, do a bit of research and learn about bioenergetic specificity.

15. dealt_with

dealt_with Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Apr 27, 2012