Trainer not paying attention/training me?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by aaalbert, Sep 4, 2017.

1. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    That's awful. It sounds like your coach is inconsiderate and doesn't take you seriously. If you choose to deal with him anyway, you probably need to get comfortable requesting more of his attention asap (this is more of a life lesson than a boxing training tip--some people will only give you the consideration and treatment you deserve if you more or less make them).

If I were in your shoes, I would find a time when he wasn't busy and ask him if he wouldn't mind evaluating and helping with your punching form and stance. That would be a big start at least. If he's not even willing to do something that basic or if he does so with a rude attitude, then that says a lot about him. I don't have much boxing gym experience (just a few months in a couple different gyms) so take my advice for what it's worth.

By the way, your coach is fine with you sparring, even though you don't know even the absolute basics of boxing technique, how to defend yourself, etc? Odd.

BoxinScienceUSA and PIRA like this.
  2. PIRA

PIRA Arise Sir Lennox. Full Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Some of your points are good but I disagree about effectively bailing up the coach - that can go very wrong, very quickly in the trainers gym.
    After a month of rudeness, neglect and disrespect the trainer has made it abundantly clear there is an issue with the OP.

The fact that he won't teach him even how to do wraps yet has him sparring is a real concern - any decent trainer would realise that is a potential lawsuit.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    BoxinScienceUSA likes this.
  3. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    We don't know both sides of the story.
    Maybe OP isn't making himself approachable, who knows.

The fact that he is discussing this online, before simply walking up and asking the coach for advice, seems off.
    Until he talks to the coach, it's all assumption. Just ask. Act.

If you initiate it, and he still gives you a cold shoulder, I would say move on.

Mr.DagoWop likes this.
  4. PIRA

PIRA Arise Sir Lennox. Full Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Agreed we don't know both sides however we can agree on what a typical experience should be for anyone starting boxing - this is not it. Lucky he is the owner/trainer - any decent pro gym he would probably be warned / sacked or worse.
    When you pay for classes in anything whether it be sports, music, tuition there is no macho BS routine, you don't get ignored.
    Many people come to boxing to overcome confidence and esteem issues - an unprofessional trainer like this helps these people how? He doesn't - he even turns them off boxing in some cases.

mrkoolkevin and Caimán like this.
  5. Giacomino

Giacomino Member Full Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Why?

lucky luke likes this.
  6. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Full Member

May 18, 2013
    That's a good question.

7. Mr.DagoWop

Mr.DagoWop Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2015
    At the time, the guy hadn't revealed that his trainer hadn't taught him the fundamentals. From the information available, it sounded like he just wasn't getting any attention whereas the other guys who had been training there for 1+ years and were competing were getting attention.

It would have been better to go up to the coach and express interest in competing as well as communicate his thoughts and feelings regarding the situation. Not just leave in a huff without ever even bringing it to the coach's attention. He said its close to his house and cheap, if there aren't any other affordable gyms available then he has to work with what he's got.

Can't just quit over any little thing. Time to grow up and be a man.

aaalbert likes this.
  8. Giacomino

Giacomino Member Full Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Fair enough.

9. lucky luke

May 18, 2013
    "
    Just a little background on myself, I started going to a boxing gym a little over a month ago and I gotta say, I love every second of it. I always give it 110% and always try to learn new things and give it my all. The problem is though, that although I love working out and hitting the heavy bag and sparring, the gym owner/trainer, doesn't really teach me anything or at least isn't willing to. Maybe I'm overthinking it and it may be the same everywhere but...it has become pretty apparent that the owner has his favorites...

I've seen him more than once train/do mitts with beginners but only with me, nope. Only the first day I joined is when he really trained me...
    "

If you give advice without reading the post proper it's understandable.

Caimán and PIRA like this.
  10. Mr.DagoWop

Jul 1, 2015
    Are you seriously going to do this? PIRA already tried making the exact same argument and I disproved it.

Read the OP's post regarding sparring and get back to me.

11. lucky luke

May 18, 2013
    I read the op regarding the topic of the thread and came to the conclusion that he had received no attention from the coach except at the first day.

You seem to have read it different, and that's fine although wrong.

Caimán, PIRA and mrkoolkevin like this.
  12. Mr.DagoWop

Jul 1, 2015
    Then explain how the OP is able to spar with guys who have been training for a MINIMUM of 1 year but doesn't even know the fundamentals of boxing.

13. lucky luke

May 18, 2013
    The opponents in what OP call sparing probably do their best to improve OP's form, the problem is that the trainer haven't though him any and doesn't care that a one month novice spars unsupervised.

What has this got to do with you saying that OP hasn't said he had gotten no attention by the coach? Did you read things into it?

PIRA and mrkoolkevin like this.
  14. Mr.DagoWop

Jul 1, 2015
    Could you write your question clearer? I think you got a double negative in there or something. Not sure what you are asking but I would like to answer.

15. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    What does ignoring someone have to do with being macho?
    It's about resource management. The coach is going to be a Cus D'Amato for every new member of the gym? He can't. You pay membership to workout and use the equipment. You don't pay membership to compete, that is a separate thing.

He needs to engage with the coach and other members of the gym if he wants their help.
    He's only been there a month. Unless he's been going to the gym full time, that's not a lot of time.
    Perhaps the coach is observing him for now so that he knows how to train him later. Again, we don't know.

To take all the guess work out, you have to act, and communicate.
    Start simple. Ask for one thing to improve on. Work on it for a week, and then ask him how you're doing.

If you have too much pride or fear to do this, you're really not pulling your weight for what is to be a potential student-teacher relationship in boxing imo.

Maybe he also needs to research the coach more, to make sure he is someone whose attention is worth getting. If not, then search the area for a coach who you would respect and work hard for.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    Mr.DagoWop likes this.