Triller wins the purse bid for Lopez vs Kambosos

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Chuck Norris, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Boon

Boon Boxing Addict banned Full Member

May 2, 2015
    Excuse my noobie queries please.

Why is there a 2.5 millie difference between the top 2 purse bids? I thought purse bids were kinda like an auction house, where the winning bid would be just a step above the first loser..

$6.02M so Triller have basically agreed to invest that much in the fight? Both fighter's paychecks, arena, judges, officials, referee, security etc. etc. all has to come to a total of $6 million dollars?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    Eel87 likes this.
  2. Pakkuman

Pakkuman I'm not hot. I'm just BIG. banned Full Member

Jun 26, 2019
    Triller is gonna lose money. Lopez is not a household name and Kambosos Jr. is even less so.

oldcanvasback likes this.
  3. Ivan28

Ivan28 Active Member Full Member

Feb 13, 2018
    I'm not sure if this is only for earning money.More like becoming popular in short time.Maybe they have plans also outside boxing, which plans need more popularity of their brand.Will see.

oldcanvasback likes this.
  4. DONT B SCARED

DONT B SCARED Pimpin Aint Easy Full Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Yeah i have no idea how long they going to be in the fight business but they seem to know already how to promote better then many of the other promoters and its going to work out great for the fighters if Kambosos and his 2 million dollar purse is any example of what we can expect ,as he isnt even well known in australia

Eel87 and sparta like this.
  5. DonnyMo

DonnyMo Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Man oh man...

So they outbid their runner up by almost 100%...

No matter what Triller says, I think it's a guarantee that this fight will be on the undercard of Tyson v. Holyfield.

I read Teo's guarantee is $2.9m I believe (after Arum's cut).

But you're going to be on the undercard of a carnival fight. I guess that's fine if you're making almost 3m but....still. Arum happy as a clam walking away with 800k for doing nothing, but this almost certainly means Teo's going to force every one of his defenses to a purse bid.

6. WhataRock

WhataRock VIP Member Full Member

Jul 29, 2004
    When they offering that level of Ben Frankies who cares where you sit on the billing?

Loma toiled for a few years under Arum against faaaar better opposition than Kambosos to earn that kind of scrilla.

I dont think Triller is in it for the long run. Just get in make a quick buck and get out as soon as peoples interest wanes in novelty fights.

7. Badbot

Badbot I Am An Actual Pro. Full Member

Apr 17, 2011
    I am pretty sure that the bids are blind. Otherwise one would have to outbid the lowest offer, thus the offers would always be low.

The 6mil, from my understanding, should go to the fighters(that they then split with their promoters? I think). Triller paid a 6 mil licensing fee to put on the event.
    They will still have to promote it and pay for the extra costs that you mentioned: arena, security, officials...

Trafford likes this.
  8. UniversalPart

UniversalPart Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2010
    They lost $40m of that, on what?

Tyson and Jones only got $1m a piece.

What was the rest spent on?

9. Trafford

Trafford Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 29, 2018
    Do you honestly think Mike Tyson came out of boxing retirement for $1m. Knowing he pulls in atleast a million PPV buys no way he took that

10. Trafford

Sep 29, 2018
    Exactly this. It’s purses only they will need to put up the money to stage, promote and market the fight on top.
    Mental money to think George Kambosos just made $2.1m

Badbot likes this.
  11. UniversalPart

UniversalPart Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2010
    He said he would give it to charity. His wife, Kiki, did not want him to put all that effort in for nothing so he agreed to $1,000,000 same as Roy Jones.

It's all online and documented dude.

12. Puroresu_Fan

Puroresu_Fan Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Congrats to the fighters especially Kambosos

13. Trafford

Sep 29, 2018
    So what was given to charity? $5 total?

what you are saying makes no sense. That was their guarantee. For what it’s worth Jake Paul on the same document had a purse of $600.

The co-main event of Jake Paul and Nate Robinson, however, will only make $600 each for their efforts. They will make much more in PPV shares and endorsements, but each man is only guaranteed to make $100 per round to step in the ring on Saturday night

do you really think Jake Paul and Nate Robinson made $600 for that fight??? They would have had PPV share and revenue Splits. Same as any other boxing fight.

if you honestly think you can pay Mike Tyson a million amd Jake Paul 600 bucks to fight and you the network just stroll away with $80m your delusional, everyone would be doing it.

I might just put the on a Logan Paul vs The Rock fight give a grand each and hope they don’t ask any questions. Completely realistic.

Truth of the matter is Triller will be burning through cash and based on their current funding rounds it’s not a bottomless pit.

Dazn have had to tighten purse strings and they raised over $1billion in funding last year. Ten times what triller currently has in reserve

CasualFan and DramaShow like this.
  14. HolDat

HolDat Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 25, 2020
    Kambosos will get a great payday too.

15. Badbot

Badbot I Am An Actual Pro. Full Member

Apr 17, 2011
    Talk about perfect timing for him.
    ****er is set for life after this. Or close to it.

Eel87 and Trafford like this.