Tunney v Frazier

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by BlackCloud, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007

So your saying Frazier can't lose on points? Ali accomplished that.

It took Frazier 10 rounds to stop the past his best Machen.

Frazier was down on points in the mid rounds to Buster Mathis, but Mathis who had a lot of extra weight on him slowed down, not from punches, but from the pace.

Tunney had amazing conditing, and could move and box all night. Dempsey couldn't catch him. Granted Dempsey was past his best too, but not as far gone as some say in terms of footspeed.

The fight boils down to this. How much respect does Frazier give Tunney after being hit by his right hand? If you know this, you probably know the winner of the fight.

I like Tunney via hard fought UD. Tunney is perhaps the fastest modern filmed boxer mover over the course of a fight.

He's very smart, tough would work to take away Joe's hook by circling away from it, has a top chin and IMO has the type of jab that would make Frazier swell up.

2. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Read the post really hard.

Nighttrain likes this.
  3. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    This.

4. klompton2

klompton2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 10, 2013
    Frazier by TKO. I think he would run Tunney out of the ring eventually. Tunneys toughness, smarts, and conditioning would see him in good stead for a long while but Frazier would eventually break him down. The Ali that Frazier beat was bigger, faster, stronger, more durable, more fluid, basically better in every single department than Tunney so why wouldnt Frazier be able to take that kind of heat to a naturally smaller, lighter hitting fighter who wasnt as fast?

boxingjunky and BlackCloud like this.
  5. klompton2

Feb 10, 2013
    Have you seen that fight? The whole fight? Machen fought to survive the entire time and took a hellacious beating in the process.

A lot of extra weight??? Mathis came in at one of the lowest weights of his entire career and life for Frazier and fought one of his best battles. Nevermind that he was taller than Tunney, had a longer reach and was a natural heavyweight with 50 pounds on Tunney. Oh, and he got stopped just like Machen after fighting a defensive fight.

You mean Tunney's chronicly bad right hand which prompted him to become a career jabber and body puncher against even smaller opponents? The same right hand that forced him from the ring for months at a time on numerous occasions? Tunney was never a puncher even at LHW but somehow his "vaunted" right hand is going to get the respect a full blown powerful heavyweight who was known for his relentless attack when someone like Bob Foster who had a god damn laser beam for a right hand couldnt? O.... K....

Of course you do. Tunney is white.

HA! Not even remotely. Not even when you speed up his films LOL.

To take away Joes hook by circling away hed find himself dizzy and disoriented because nobody took Joes hook away. Nobody. And bigger men and better movers than Tunney tried. The only way Tunney could take away Joes hook is to go into full on, admission of defeat retreat. That dont win fights and it aint going to beat Joe Frazier.

ETM, boxingjunky and Minotauro like this.
  6. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    :rofl

7. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Yes I have. Frazier if he hit as hard as some think should have ended it sooner. Machen was past his best when they meet.

Buster Mathis was always carrying around a lot of weight. Don't act like he wasn't carrying a lot of extra weight. Do you deny he was also in the lead on points midway through the fight?

Tunney could hit. He has a 56% career KO percentage and fought many class guys who were not easy to stop. As Tunney went up in weight, his power increased. As for Frazier, he has his share of medical issues too.

Tunney was one of the best movers in the history of the division. I don't think you would deny that, not even " remotely "

Fraizer was a short armed one trick type of pony. Tunney had a way of taking away a fighters best weapon.

Which fighter did Frazier track down that were better movers, and please don't say a post-exile Ali, as he often rested and didn't have the same legs? I don't see Tunney resting on the ropes or getting caught often in the corners. Tunney could in fight, and like i said Frazier was very prone to swelling.

Fess up Klompton, you don't like Tunney cause he beat Greb badly in their last fight to the point where Gerb said he's through fighting him, a based on your past antipathy towards Dempsey, you won't give Tunney much credit for smacking him when he pleased , even though from a pressure standpoint Dempsey was a lot like Frazier. If Tunney vs Dempsey was 15 rounds, he would have stopped him in the second fight. Even Dempsey himself refused a third.

Oh, I see Frazier beat a glass jawed Foster who beat nobody of note at heavyweight and was often stopped. Take that point away.

8. Curtis Lowe

Curtis Lowe Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Joe would have ate Tunney alive. Tunney didn't have the power or strength to keep Joe off of him.

boxingjunky and BlackCloud like this.
  9. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Yup.I like stylists in several fights over swarming sluggers , but not in this one ,Frazier was quick into range and fought at an intensity rarely matched by heavyweights.
    I like Tunney to decision Marciano because Rocky was slower and more methodical than Joe,but the FOTC Frazier beats any version of the Marine imo ,late tko or U dec.

ETM likes this.
  10. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    I honestly don't see any valid argument for Tunney winning this game on anything other than a fluke hail Mary ko/cut.

Frazier might actually be the best p4p ever at cutting off the the ring and there's only one man I see being able to take him by outboxing him and that's Holmes. I see Holmes as having a better style than Ali in this particular match up.

That being said, I think it's impossible to keep Frazier off without knocking him out though, his forward perpetual movement and his leaping left hook will close any gap. I do think Holmes will be able to land his jab where Ali failed, and I think he'll hit him with hooks and upper cuts on the way in, whilst being strong enough to reset the battle and step off him. Whilst I write this though I'm beginning to doubt those words.

Tunney isn't strong enough to succeed in that way and will spend the fight (from round 5 onwards) being pounded against the ropes and chased round the ring. Some say Tunney will go down, think he'll finish on his feet.

ETM likes this.
  11. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    I don't think Holmes threw many hooks,but his uppercut was a potent weapon especially against a shorter crouching Frazier. Tunney's right cross would land and be effective against Joe ,I just don't think he would have enough on it to keep him away.

ETM likes this.
  12. Hookandjab

Hookandjab Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2014

You lost all credibility with that ignorant, racist statement: "Of course you do. Tunney is white."

13. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    Yes, not hard enough to knock Joe out but I think Holmes can hit hard enough to win exchanges and soften Frazier up.

Tunney will land a whole host of punches but Frazier will walk right through him imo. Especially during the final 2 thirds of the fight.

A slowing Dempsey was able to catch up tp Tunney, and given the rules during Jack's early reign he'd have regained the title there and then. A prime Frazier will catch up to him a lot earlier and won't stop throwing punches.

14. foreman&dempsey

foreman&dempsey Boxing Addict banned

Dec 7, 2015
    please get banned urgently

15. klompton2

Feb 10, 2013
    I was addressing a known racist. If criticising a moron who tries to argue the points that Tunney was a puncher and that Mathis was somehow overweight for him because he cant stand seeing a black man favored in the discussion loses me credibility when EVERY point Ive made is valid then so be it. And if this lying sack of **** has seen ALL of Frazier-Mathis Ill eat my leather lazyboy. I know damn good and well he hasnt and if hed care to put it to the test and get exposed for the umpteenth time as the ****ing liar he is we can do that. Game Mendoza? Care for a pop quiz? Or did you lose your copy like you lost the only copy of Langford-Hague in existence? Lol.