Tunney v Frazier

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by BlackCloud, Aug 26, 2016.

1. klompton2

klompton2 Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Feb 10, 2013
    I dont know about that. Contrary to popular belief the rules for Dempsey's early reign were no different than those against Tunney in regards to a fallen opponent. I have the rules for his bout against Willard which was governed by Toledo's municipal boxing code authored the year before. Dempsey was clearly in violation of those rules in that fight. The rules governing his bouts with Brennan and Firpo also demanded the opponent retreat to a neutral corner or the furthest corner in the event of kd. Those were part of the Walker Law which went into effect in 1920 months before Dempsey fought Brennan. Im not sure what rules governed his bouts against Miske, Gibbons, or Carpentier but the point is that Dempsey was well familiar with the corner rule, he simply got away with violating it. So its not whether Tunney would have survived under different rules but how much different Willard, Brennan, and Firpo would have been had the actual rules that were already in place been enforced.

2. Hookandjab

Hookandjab Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2014
    I didn't realize what was going on. Peace, bro.

3. Perry

Perry Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 26, 2015
    Great fighters have a way of exploiting significant technical flaws. Tunney in his prime was a greater technical boxer than Ali. He was exceptionally well trained with great heart and will to win. I see Tunney going into this bout well trained to exploit Joes lack of a good right hand. He keeps turning to his left stepping away from the Frazier hook and landing his jab and straight right. Joe comes on strong the last 3-5 rounds but not enough to get the win. Tunney by unanimous decision 9-6 in rounds.

4. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Can you put this in Portuguese or Italian because if you are writing in English you appear to be a complete idiot.

5. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Yes I don't see Frazier beating Holmes.,who is substantially bigger than Tunney and who had superlative powers of recovery when he did get tagged.Larry's troubles originated in a susceptibility to right hands ,Joe's won't bother him.

robert ungurean likes this.
  6. Perry

Apr 26, 2015
    One of Tunneys trainers lived into the Liston era. He stated that it had been forgotten that Genes right hand was considered "as feared as Listons right hand". Gene had enough right hand power to keep Frazier honest.

7. Seamus

Feb 11, 2005
    Gene had a fragile right hand that kept him out of action many times during his career. He had excellent timing but rarely commited to it as a punch. It had a decent effect on white lightheavies in the 1920's, that's about it. Let's not start comparing it to Liston's.

8. Rock0052

Rock0052 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2006
    This is how I see it, though I'll give Tunney the benefit of the doubt that he lasts the distance. Winnable fight vs a past-prime Frazier, but give me FOTC Joe here comfortably enough to put cash on.

9. Rock0052

Rock0052 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2006
    Great points here, though I think Gene makes it to the cards.

He would need much better pop for me to feel better about his chances of keeping peak Frazier off him. I don't think following a Leonard-Hagler sort of template could work until Joe's slowed down in his career.

10. Perry

Apr 26, 2015
    This was Tunneys own trainer talking. Tunneys right hand looked plenty strong vs Dempsey and Heeney. His hand issues did not cover his entire career.

11. Seamus

Feb 11, 2005
    Ali had just turned 29 so the facts betray you.

Are you contending that Ali, the quintessential boxer-type, after beating Bonavena and Quarry, just after his 29th birthday... the guy who would go on to beat Frazier, Norton and Foreman, was in the same form as the seek and destroy styled Dempsey who at 32 would never fight again?

Again, the facts are not your friends today. Try again tomorrow.

12. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    How far off his best or past his prime was Dempsey against Tunney ?

13. Seamus

Feb 11, 2005
    I assume he retired for a good reason.

14. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Because he couldn't beat Tunney ? And had bad eyes maybe. I don't know. He did make a couple of comebacks.

You think he was washed-up in 1926?

15. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    He was done, his legs were gone,his reflexes,and stamina eroded by sh*gging and inactivity.