Tunney v Frazier

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by BlackCloud, Aug 26, 2016.

1. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    :good
    The mystery to me is how he can keep coming back after being absolutely exposed and discredited time and again.
    The Greb film.
    The Fitz vRuhlin fight that was NOT filmed and the bet with me about it he reneged on .
    The challenge from you for him to post your film list.
    It's an endless humiliation that he ignores .
    I suppose it's a case of , " no sense ,no feeling".:think

2. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Bad matchup for Tunney

I see him getting stuck at the end of Fraizers hook more often than Ali did in 71.

Tunney is a really tough dude, but Fraizer on his best night is a non stop machine of deadly left hooks. If you're not a top 15 ATG puncher, good luck!

3. Nighttrain

Nighttrain 'BOUT IT 'BOUT IT Full Member

Nov 7, 2011

Holy guacamole not only are facts not your friends, they are clearly your enemy. Muhammad Ali only beats Jerry Quarry due to cuts!? Ali toyed with him.

You don't seem to be able to comprehend or appreciate perhaps heavyweight boxing finest hour. It was a period in which racism no longer excluded many blacks and top athletes were still attracted to boxing.

It shouldn't surprise me that you don't are unable to appreciate Frazier, foreman, and Norton given the fact that you believe that Quarry only lost due to cuts. Frazier's style though reliant on high pressure was very nuanced, which could only be solved by two other all-time greats. The fact that Foreman won the title twice twenty years apart should be enough to clue you into the fact that he was more than just some crude slow slugger.

Going to give you the benefit of the doubt and just assume you are trolling.

4. Perry

Perry Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 26, 2015
    Frazier at his best beats Sanders, Hyde etc as they were not technically competent. Joes all time will to win and conditioning wears these lesser fighters into the canvas. Tunney however was very different. He was very adept in exploiting technical flaws. Gene avoids the Frazier hook and boxes to a 15 round victory.

5. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Is Gene Tunney the most overrated fighter in the history of the heavyweight ranks? He deserves a spot next to Michael Spinks, not a place next to the guy who has the single greatest victory in the division's history.

Nighttrain likes this.
  6. BlackCloud

BlackCloud I detest the daily heavyweight threads Full Member

Nov 22, 2012
    Well he is certainly up there with the most unproven in Fraziers type of company.
    Tbh i am quite shocked /surprised the amount of support he is receiving here.

7. Nighttrain

Nighttrain 'BOUT IT 'BOUT IT Full Member

Nov 7, 2011

Ok, Goofy Ali didn't have "massive problems " with Quarry. Ali won every round.

Ali toyed with Patterson. It wasn't "only controversial ended because of cuts".
    No one was looking forward to Ali Patterson III. I'm not seeing a connection to a proposed 4th fight with Norton.

It is not "racistic" to acknowledge that there had been limitations on black contenders. I don't want to get off track with you. If you disagree take it up with someone else like maybe Archie Moore. The fact that you denigrate Foreman, yet not only rank him #7, but also ahead of Ali does not impact my worldview.
    It does impact my view about discussing this with you further.

Perhaps you should adjust your meds, under appropriate medical supervision of course and I should apologize if you are . . . you know . . .

8. Seamus

Feb 11, 2005
    What was Tunney's heavyweight legacy? A couple 10 rounders over a rusty, past it Dempsey. Gibbons in his final fight? Heeney? That's about his entire record at the weight.

Frazier was either the Number 1 Rated Challenger or Champion for 7 CONSECUTIVE YEARS. He holds what is almost without argument the greatest victory in the division's history.

He beat:
    Ali
    Quarry x2
    Ellis
    Mathis
    Chuvalo
    Bonavena

Tunney doesn't even belong in the same conversation in terms of heavyweight accomplishment.

9. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007

I pick who I think wins, and often pick the black man.

Klompton ( the person who made that comment ) is the one who has issued a racial statement here. Just to catch you up to speed with the man he said there's something in Italian's DNA that makes them cheat. He won't deny it. Shameful stuff.

The guy has issues with many posters here.

10. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    He has issues with you, and so do many others.

11. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    And you are one of the posters who has had issues with him. If you want to defend our resident *****, have at it.

I have seen enough of Frazier vs Mathis like I said Frazier was behind on points until a fatty Mathis slowed down. Joe was not a boxer and Tunney just as fast with his feet.

It's not like he's facing a shopworn Machen covering up on the ropes and beating on him for 10 rounds until a stoppage comes.

Fraizer was floored by a no name in his 2nd fight, and stunned / had his knees buckle in others vs men not as accurate as Tunney was.

12. Perry

Perry Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 26, 2015
    Numbers are meaningless. Tunney had the technical skills and conditioning to best Frazier. I don't care who the fighter is if said fighters offence is dictated by one single punch, in this case a left hook, an all time great boxer will develop a technical strategy to avoid that one punch. Tunney would keep Frazier turning all night never allowing him to get set to land that hook. When he does get hit Tunneyhas the durability to take that punch. It ends up being a boxing lesson over 15 rounds.

Jackomano likes this.
  13. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I'm defending no one ,and Klompton can speak for himself I just think he told the truth about you,I don't necessarily think his breakdown of the head to head is that accurate, but I agree with the end result .

14. Seamus

Feb 11, 2005
    Based on what do you make this statement?

So, a 30 year old Tunney, who only fought a few heavies in his career (and not a single Black fighter) is going to accomplish what a 29 year old Ali, a bigger, longer, quicker and infinitely more proven heavyweight, could not?

The level of denial here has passed the border of delusion.

boxingjunky and Reinhardt like this.
  15. Rock0052

Rock0052 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2006
    In this thread he is being overrated. Generally, he isn't from what I've seen.

Just don't see him having enough firepower to overcome the sylistic weakness Joe poses for him. Joe's the archetype of the kind of fighter I'd favor over Tunney if Tunney didn't hit hard enough to stop him, and that's exactly what's going on here. Full disclosure: at my core, I'm a styles make fights dude with secondary emphasis on measurables and resume.

Tunney would have a much better chance at outlasting and outfoxing Foreman than he would beating prime Joe IMO. Norton's also a very tricky matchup for Gene in my book.

ribtickler68 likes this.