Two legacies affected in one night

Discussion in 'MMA Forum' started by ForemanJab, Apr 8, 2017.

1. ForemanJab

ForemanJab Deus Vult Full Member

May 8, 2014
    Weidman put on one of the worst quitjobs I've ever seen in the sport. He's been beaten down physically and now mentally. It's been a good career but he hurt his reputation beyond repair tonight and it's all downhill from here. Rumble had Cormier hurt early, busted up his nose but for some unfathomable reason he started going for TDs. DC took him down and broke him from there. He's a guy who will be remembered as having huge power but lacked the ring smarts and ruthless mentality to ever be a champion.

The Akbar One likes this.
  2. UnleashtheFURY

UnleashtheFURY D'oh! Full Member

Sep 29, 2012
    I agree. Bizarre performance from both guys..

3. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Just caught up now.

Weidman claimed in the post fight that the fight was only stopped because the knee was illegal and he felt fine in there. Not sure i buy that tbh.

Johnson landed huge shots and then decided to wrestle with DC, fukin crazy. It would like Dos Santos knocking Werdum down and then choosing to get in his guard, a better strategy would have been to work on TDD and keep the fight standing.

DC Vs JJ has to happen next.

4. UnleashtheFURY

Sep 29, 2012
    I thought Weidman sounded a little punchy and disoriented in the post-fight speech, might have been concussed. Good stoppage and correct call.

5. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    Let's say the ref didn't think it was a foul, was the knee strong enough to end the fight without any confusion?

Or was it a weak knee that Weidman tried to milk?

6. shanemfr

shanemfr Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 29, 2004
    Looked like he was trying to milk it for a DQ win, as soon as he was told the knee was legal and it will be a TKO he jumps up and says he is fine to continue. Then bitches at the press conference that he wants to appeal.

7. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    My thoughts exactly.

8. UnleashtheFURY

Sep 29, 2012
    A little bit of both honestly, but I need to rewatch it. At the very least Weidman was reeling and on the verge of being finished and tried to take the easy way out.

9. Beouche

Beouche Juan Manuel Marquez Full Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Everyone so quick to **** on Weidman. The guy ruined Anderson ****ing Silva. He's a stud

10. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    He did take the easy way out imo, but that easy way should not have been offered to him so there is legit controversy here.

UnleashtheFURY likes this.
  11. ForemanJab

May 8, 2014
    I was a fan but what he did vs Mousasi was disgraceful. It's really amazing how quickly his career has deteriorated and it started right after out of competition drug testing was implemented.

12. ForemanJab

May 8, 2014
    Big Dan screwed up on the call but the situation was exacerbated by Weidman trying to milk a dq. Had he actually wanted to continue, the fight would have gone to its natural conclusion without controversy.

13. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    Heat of the moment split second calls get made.

Should he have milked the DQ with him being able to continue? Absolutely not.

But that doesn't mean this should be a KO loss imo. I mean, don't get me wrong, this serves him right and it's karma and instant justice, but it just isn't right.

It's not like Judah against Khan who tried milking to force a DQ, the red said it was illegal, Weidman in the heat of the moment said he couldn't continue as he saw an easy victory, the ref then changes his mind but doesn't give Weidman the opportunity to change his.

For a man who isn't that long removed from being undefeated champion of the world, a 3 fight skid like this is hard to come back from.

14. ForemanJab

May 8, 2014
    Fair point but I don't think it's acceptable to allow a guy to go on after 5 minutes of ill gotten rest when being on the verge of getting finished. At the time of the legal strikes were landed Weidman caved in and couldn't/wouldn't go on. If you get hit legally and the fighter can't continue then it is an instant stoppage in all situations. Them imposing that rule retroactively doesn't bother me much.

And even if they did let the fight start again I can't see Weidman lasting much longer, he clearly didn't want to be there anymore.

15. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    Hmm technically at the time of legal strikes Weidman was continuing though. It was only when a strike was ruled illegal action was halted.

I don't think he'd have lasted much longer but wouldn't exactly be the greatest turnaround in history if he came back to win.