Two questions Re: AJ..

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Brixton Bomber, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    1) Other than the mishap in the Whyte fight, has he learned a single thing in his pro career?
    2) Is Whyte's win over Chisora better than any win that AJ has?

On The Money and DoubleJab666 like this.
  2. Decy

Decy Barely Coherent Full Member

Oct 23, 2006
    If "Whyte's win over Chisora better than any win that AJ has?" then by default beating Whyte is a better win.

3. ryanm8655

ryanm8655 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 23, 2008
    ^that isn't how boxing works but I understand where you are coming from...

I think Chisora wpuld give him a tougher night than anyone else he has faced though, tougher than Whyte.

BoxingABC1 likes this.
  4. Brixton Bomber

Sep 21, 2013
    The triangle theory simply does not and cannot work in combat sports.

5. Work the body

Work the body Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 5, 2015
    Joshua-Chisora would have been a decent test for Joshua. Surely that fight could have easily been made?

As soon as Molina felt the power he was looking for a way out. I thought Molina was durable at least but turns out he is just rubbish.

AJ has learnt nothing

6. DoubleJab666

DoubleJab666 Dot, dot, dot... Full Member

Nov 9, 2015

Two good questions. Yes he has learned. From the Whyte fight as you suggested. But generally he's more controlled in his work and waits for his openings. And although this is a small thing on the face of it, Robert McCracken has seemingly stopped him doing that pretentious raising of his right hand after landing it where he holds it up in celebration, probably because it's not taking the shortest route back to making a guard should he get countered. So overall he's less sloppy. However, I take the point your are making behind the question. I don't think he's faced a varied enough array of styles. He's not faced a mover, for example. It's too late now, but the boxing torture that is Malik Scott might have shown him where he's lacking in terms of mobility. Funny that Hearn was happy to put Ortiz in with him but not AJ. Not for fear of losing but a fear of showing where he's lacking.

As for the second question: seeing as AJ beat Whyte and Whyte beat Chisora, then my answer would be no. But close....

Orca and Brixton Bomber like this.
  7. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    It was a mismatch, just like the Ortiz fight.

8. carlingeight

carlingeight Active Member Full Member

May 15, 2016
    1) Yes, quite a lot. But he is missing huge swathes of experience that he should have picked up before going in with Wlad. It's like he has smashed his high school exams and is now going straight in for a masters degree.

2) Yes I think Whyte's win over Chisora is better than any of AJ's wins. The main reason it's better than AJ beating Whyte himself, is that Whyte was in MUCH better condition against Chisora. Being taken under the Matchroom wing has clearly done him a lot of good.

I think the Wlad fight is too soon for Joshua. They had better hope the 40 year old is as shot as some people say. Not that I think a loss would be a bad thing for Joshua's progression.

9. Brixton Bomber

Sep 21, 2013
    Triangle theories do not work, mate.

Face it: Chisora is a better scalp than Martin.

10. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Why did you think Molina was durable? The man had two KO1 losses already going into the Wilder fight and the concensus was that it would be another KO1 loss for him (or at least early) before that fight.
    The thing that Wilder clearly seems to have problems delivering his power since he fights top40 to 20 level opponents does not make Molina durable somehow.

About Joshua then. He did learn something up till now, but not much. He clearly is a top 10 level fighter, but had too little resistance due to his power to gradually make it there.

11. FartWristedBum

FartWristedBum I walk this Earth like a bum Full Member

Feb 6, 2014
    He (AJ) is very inexperienced for his perceived status. Whyte has the better W now I guess but it's irrelevant, AJ's world will change after getting one from Dr Steelhammer, his survival instincts are non-existent!

Brixton Bomber likes this.
  12. Brixton Bomber

Sep 21, 2013
    I've always had my suspicions that AJ is a tremendous hammer, but a lousy nail.

FartWristedBum likes this.
  13. DoubleJab666

Nov 9, 2015

I agree triangle theories don't work in isolation but it's like any 'evidence'. None is decisive, none irrelevant. Maybe then I over-stated my case...

And beating me would be a better scalp than Martin... lol

14. Brixton Bomber

Sep 21, 2013
    So is Whyte a better win to have on your CV than Chisora?

15. DoubleJab666

Nov 9, 2015
    In 2015/16, yes I think he is. But Haye's win over Dereck four years ago is better than AJ's win over Whyte last year. I think Chisora has faded quite a bit these past couple of years.