Tyson’s Chin Rating?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by SeanK, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Sangria

Sangria You bleed like Mylee Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Against who and how did he visit the canvas? Not from single shots from Holyfield, like Bowe and Mercer did? Who fits your top tier heavyweight chins?

ironchamp likes this.
  2. Sangria

Nov 13, 2010
    No, they're not comparable at all. Ruddock punches far harder than Bonavena did. And if you have reservations with that conclusion, maybe you need to watch both fighters and their knockouts again!

JackSilver likes this.
  3. Sangria

Nov 13, 2010
    1. 'sMmmm...no. Tyson got rocked by Tucker, Bonecrusher and Bruno, not to mention Pinklon Thomas at the end of the first round, and came back from ever single shot to win his match. ****, he almost was the poster boy from 1 punch come from behind KO's against Douglas. Tyson proved his chin was amongst the best at heavyweight. I'm pretty positive he wouldn't have gotten bludgeoned against the ropes by the likes of Bert Cooper, now would he? lets be real. Those shots he took from Ruddock were tremendous!!!

JackSilver and ironchamp like this.
  4. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Err, Douglas, Lewis, Williams......

He was also knocked senseless by a pumped up LHW......

5. young griffo

young griffo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 18, 2006
    Ruddock was a big puncher against journeymen and has beens lets be honest. He's a modern day Cleveland Williams who's reputation is made almost entirely from two fights he lost (Williams with Liston, Ruddock with Tyson). He fell short against the best every time he stepped up.

Like most guys with a few highlight reel KO's over lesser lights he gets massively overrated as a fighter and as a puncher and is undeservedly favoured over much better fighters in h2h match ups.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    Glass City Cobra and Wass1985 like this.
  6. young griffo

young griffo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 18, 2006
    5 stoppage losses out of 6 doesn't make you have one of the best chins at heavyweight ever. Sorry it just doesn't.

Tyson got tagged by those guys and reacted but he wasn't badly hurt at all and Boncrusher landed on him in literally the last 10 seconds of the fight so what was there to come back from? And Mike got battered all over the place by Douglas and Holyfield so who knows what would have happened if Cooper caught him?

Anyway I gave his chin a very high 8-8.5 out of 10. Maybe a tad high but I was impressed by the shots he absorbed in his losses to Douglas, Holyfield (though to be fair neither of these were massive punchers) and Lewis (who was). I don't get what you're taking umbrage with to be honest with you.

Wass1985 likes this.
  7. ironchamp

ironchamp Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 5, 2004
    Frazier never really fought a lot of big punchers, the only one he did face that was world class in terms of punching power was George Foreman, and from what I recall he wasn't able to take it all day and he certainly wasn't grinning.

Now the true agenda is revealed.

Ray Mercer went down from a punch from Evander Holyfield. It was a delayed reaction but he was clearly hurt. The only reason why he didn't suffer a knockout loss was because he backpedaled, it was late in the fight which was only scheduled for 10 rounds. If it was a 12 rounder then Mercer gets stopped in the 11th.

Muhammad Ali was dropped by Sonny Banks, Henry Cooper, Joe Frazier and Chuck Wepner. He was also staggered by Foreman and Shavers. Ali has tremendous threshold for pain. His ability to absorb a punch is high, but his recuperative ability is even higher and I suspect that is the actual takeaway that people get when evaluating his chin. Thing is Ali has evaded what could have been stoppage losses through style and ringsmarts that transcend his physical ability to take a punch.

Dundee helped him survive Cooper, his reputation and guile helped him survive Shavers; his style which accommodates backpedaling helped him recover from punches that may have changed the trajectory of the fight if he decided to stalk instead of backpedal.

Mike Tyson stalks his opponents. Thats how he fights. When he gets battered around the place by Holyfield, unlike Ray Mercer, Tyson continues to come forward compounding the impact of his blow each time. He doesn't backpedal or play possum, so in terms of his chin its hard to give him a rating below a 9. The only reason why he didn't get a perfect score is his recuperative abilities are limited due to a style that doesn't give him ample time to recover. However his threshold for pain is exceptionally high, probably higher than both Mercer and Ali but his recuperative ability isn't nearly as good. And I think that's about as fair as an assessment as one can give based on what we know.

Sangria, young griffo and Jobo1878 like this.
  8. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Tyson's threshold for pain is higher than Ali's.......

This has to be the best joke I've read on here, go and see Tyson making woman gestures in between rounds against Holyfield and Lewis......

Glass City Cobra likes this.
  9. Accurate

Accurate Jump back, wanna kiss myself! Full Member

May 3, 2018
    Tysons chin 7.5-8

Oliver McCall had the best chin of any heavyweight I can think of right now.

10. Smokin Bert

Smokin Bert Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 8, 2013
    This. Rating his chin at anything below 8/10 is ridiculous and likely agenda driven.

PhillyPhan69, Sangria and ironchamp like this.
  11. Ken Ashcroft

Ken Ashcroft Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 23, 2008
    I would give him a solid 7.5 to 8 rating.

12. SeanK

SeanK Member Full Member

Apr 3, 2019
    Chuvalo and Ali come to mind. Mercer too. There are more, those are just the ones that come to mind.

You don’t need an ATG chin to take some shots. Every time he wasn’t knocked out isn’t proof that he had an iron chin. He was unable to finish the fight 5 times, a fair share of times on his back. If you have a great chin you simply don’t have to make excuses like ‘oh it was a lot of shots’ or ‘name a puncher like he fought’

13. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Ali also took flush shots from Fraizer, Liston, Foreman and Shavers, he chin must've gotten better, because he clearly had an a+ chin. Chuvalo took bombs from Frazier and Foreman and didn't go down, I'd put his chin for sure

14. JackSilver

JackSilver Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 24, 2017
    Ali had a very good solid chin.No doubt about that but like I said before, no one who was dropped and hurt several times should be getting a 10 out of 10 rating or a A+ .

Sangria likes this.
  15. VG_Addict

VG_Addict Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Tyson's chin isn't even close to top level. 5 of his 6 losses were by stoppage.

Glass City Cobra and SeanK like this.