Tyson’s Chin Rating?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by SeanK, Apr 14, 2019.

1. sauhund II

sauhund II Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 8, 2008
    He has ONE stoppage in his Prime while fighting guys who could severely crack......

He was stopped when washed up on his feet more from exhaustion despite Holyfield threw the kitchen sink at him...

His other losses happened when he was shot beyond shot.

It is clear that you have never been in the Ring, not even sparring. fact.

A shot to shid Tyson impersonator took mulitple flush right hands from Lennox Lewis, MULITPLE, until the TKO, and he was never out of it, he just said F it in the end...........Rahman took O N E of those flush right hands from Lewis and he was counting sheep for the 30 count. Fact.

As far as McCall or Tua are concerned, when they got hurt they backed off and rather lost then go out on their shield and fought to survive.......Tyson never backed off and always fought to win......both Holyfield and Douglas said that Tyson is at his most dangerous when he is hurt.......Steward was shidding briggs in Lewis's corner because he was dead afraid Tyson would clock Lennox while hurt........

Tyson's chin is a solid 9..........IMO there is no 10.

Sangria and ironchamp like this.
  2. ironchamp

ironchamp Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 5, 2004
    Tyson was getting hit pretty clean against Lewis and Holyfield and still coming forward. He wasn't using the ring to clear his head if he felt the heat a little bit. Tyson walked into a punch by Holyfield in the 10th round and sustained a succession of clean punches. He took so many clean right hands from Lewis offering little resistance, his chin was rocks solid.

Some of the punches that Ali took from Banks, Cooper and Frazier were one big punch resulting in a knockdown something that was entirely foreign to Tyson as iIt took a much large effort to get him to the canvas. I know some people think its passe to criticize Tyson so if it makes you feel better to call it a joke then go right ahead.

Sangria likes this.
  3. Russell

Russell VIP Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Wow, imagine just how many times this exact topic has already been discussed. I can only imagine how many threads about this very thing would come up if you simply searched for them.

Glass City Cobra likes this.
  4. Sangria

Sangria You bleed like Mylee Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Tyson got pounded into the canvas for 10 rounds against Douglas. Lewis pounded on him for 8 rounds and Tyson still wasn't laid out on the canvas. Both times he rose but lost to the 10 count. Against Holyfield he was stopped on his feet after absorbing 20 plus shots in a row.

Williams and McBride were basically quit jobs: one from a torn knee and the other due to exhaustion. So Tyson wasn't really stopped on 5 occasions if you look at the circumstances without bias.

The shots he took while coming forward while impacting the force of power, and against top level fighters with top level power, were tremendous. Top tier chin. Top 10 all time at heavyweight.

ironchamp likes this.
  5. Hayemakers

Hayemakers Member Full Member

Jun 20, 2016
    Either your lying because your biased against Ali or you have never seen the fight and dont know what youre talking about. Ali tripped over Wepners feet, everyone knows that...

6. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    I would rate it about 1766 on a scale of 2000...somewhere in that ballpark? Maybe 35320 on a scale of 40000 would be more exact? This is tough

7. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Uh, Smith didnt throw anything. That's why he couldnt hit him. Spinx pretty much died at the opening bell, tubbs barely landed and also was taken out quickly. Bruno did a hell of a lot of holding and was trying to survive. This isnt a criticism of mike, but just pointing out many opponents barely landed anything.

A guy who was stopped 5x probably shouldnt be ranked "just below" McCall or Chuvalo.

Tyson honestly didnt take very much punishment. The few shots he did take indicate he obviously had an above average chin (ruddock--who loaded up and head hunted--Douglas, holyfield) but a 9 is extremely generous.

young griffo and Wass1985 like this.
  8. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    I agree with everything here except the idea tyson's threshold for pain was higher than Ali. Whose your dealer?

mark ant, young griffo and Wass1985 like this.
  9. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Which one? Foreman or Mercer?
    I can't Co-sign Foreman, his KO was just out of exhaustion. Mercer I can agree, old or not he was still sparked out by Briggs and Klitschko

mark ant likes this.
  10. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Tyson was it his most dangerous when hurt? Who the fcuk did he knockout after being hurt?

As for Tyson having a superior chin because he came forward when hurt, what utter bollocks.

11. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Pure comedy. Now Razor forgot how to punch? He hit Morrsion with all his big shots and Tommy didn't budge.
    Maybe in reality Ruddock's power is overrated.

George Crowcroft and Wass1985 like this.
  12. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Frazier would walk through Ruddock. Razor would have declined a rematch. When Tyson was laying on the inside letting Razor rest and survive Joe would have been tearing his body up. Kill the body the head will die.
    Doesn't matter it still wouldn't be one of Joe's top 3 wins.

13. young griffo

young griffo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 18, 2006
    One thing I'll say is a couple of the guys that stopped Tyson have become massively overrated as punchers because of it.

I've variously read of Douglas being described as a 6'3 235lb guy with skill and power yet no one thought he was particularly powerful going into the Tyson fight. He had a decent (but only decent) 53% KO rate career wise which wouldn't have been much higher when he fought Tyson. The likes of Dee Collier, David Jaco, Jess Ferguson and washed up Greg Page and Tex Cobb all took him the long route. Hell he couldn't even KO Wimpy Halstead instead settling for a TKO win. He was a good boxer with a great jab but he wan't a power puncher.

And Holyfield hadn't scored a legit stoppage in 5 years going into the Tyson fight. The criticism at the time was his lack of power had caused him to have too many wars and harder than necessary fights. Which is why everyone though Tyson would destroy Evander. He was seen as faded and too brave for his own good to beat Tyson when he couldn't even comprehensively put Bobby Czyz away. And after he beat Tyson he reverted to type and had plenty of hard fights due to not having the power to put the other guy away (namely Vaughn Bean and John Ruiz x3).

Glass City Cobra, JC40 and Wass1985 like this.
  14. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Yes, but Tyson walked right into Buster and Holy where as these other fighters weren`t as agressive, Tyson thought he could walk right through both fighters and was completely reckless, there`s no way those other fighters you mentioned would have taken the uppercut Douglas floored Tyson with or the two right hands he caught him with on the way down, Tyson`s eyes rolled into the back of his head when the uppercut hit him, how many uppercuts did Douglas even throw against these other fighters? Tyson was open to uppercuts because of his height, pluds Douglas trew more punches against Tyson than he did in other dreadful fights that I seen him fight in on youtube, he was on decent form against Tucker, but it wsas mainly a jabbing contest, Tucker was boxing much smarter than Tyson did v Buster, he looked stoned or something.

15. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    This content is protected