Tyson Fury could barely land a glove on Wladimir Klitschko? Where exactly was the masterclass?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Luis Fernando, Oct 15, 2021.

1. Luis Fernando

Luis Fernando Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 23, 2017
    This is arguably the most overrated and overhyped win in the history of all of boxing. The idea that Fury's win was even impressive, or even legitimate to begin with, much less a 'masterclass' has to be the epitome of delusion.

I challenge anybody to find me Fury landing even 15 clean punches that snapped or rocked Wladimir Klitschko's body or head back in their bout. Heck, make that 10 instead. I guarantee you'd struggle, if not outright fail. So with that being the case, how can anybody justifiably call this a 'masterclass' or 'schooling' is beyond me.

Or are we giving points to Fury for things other than landing punches, such as his taunting, acting, theatrics, talking and etc? None of those things are part of the scoring criteria. The primary criteria for judging a fight, which is punches landed, Fury was miserably poor just as Wladimir Klitschko.

It was kind of embarrassing and outright disgraceful how a stiff 39 year old was making Fury look amateurish with his wild swings and lunges, amounting to missing the vast majority of punches. This amazing prime Fury who is supposed to be this amazing unbeatable boxer being credited to high heavens, can barely even connect 10 clean rocking / snapping punches on a ancient Wladimir Klitschko who is supposed to be this stiff robot. It can't get any worse than that...

Although Wladimir Klitschko did not land much of anything himself, but nobody is praising him for that performance like they are Fury. Wlad's poor performance at that stage of his career is far more justified than Fury's dreadful accuracy in the best performance of his career. And the same fraud decided to duck the rematch because he was too scared of not being able to replicate the same performance.

If anything, this fight actually proves how limited and low-level Fury is, than anything to the contrary. Fury's lack of accuracy and offensive skills were totally exposed to be limited and low-level.

I personally had that fight a draw as neither guy did anything of note for 12 rounds!

Remove any idea that this guy is even remotely unbeatable!

2. _Scott_

_Scott_ Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 7, 2015
    He outlanded and schooled Klitschko from start to finish, winning 11 rounds against a champion who was unbeaten for more than a decade.

A proper schooling and true masterclass. Klitschko was completely clueless.

JesseT, Ivan28, VOXDEI and 21 others like this.
  3. BELLERS

BELLERS Active Member Full Member

Feb 22, 2020
    It was one of the dullest, borefests imaginable.......but he won against the odds.

4. Quina74

Quina74 Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 25, 2019
    I've said similar before.. But people refuse to accept it even though its actually what happened.

Scoring the fight I had 7-5 or 8-4 Fury. And many of the rounds Fury won were won by 1 or 2 scruffy not quite fully connecting jabs and 1 or 2 inside glove/forearm slaps. People argue against it but I've watched the fight in detail specifically trying to gauge what/how much lands (and perceived impact of each landed puncg) and that's exactly what I see.. I have no bias for either fighter in fact I'm probably more biased towards Fury as I think Wlad is no chin stiff idiot with an overhyped resume

If you think that was an impressive win or dominant victory then you simply haven't wathed the fight properly sorry to say

5. Quina74

Apr 25, 2019
    Just flat-out false

6. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    I think Fury won 9 or 10 rounds.
    He beat Wlad at his own game.
    Wlad was the master bore for years and no one had ever outpointed him.

7. pow

pow Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 26, 2014
    It was impressive in the he was a massive underdog, fighting in Germany against a dominant ATG of his era champion. The fact he got a points win in Germany shows how dominant a performance it was.

8. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Yeah, it was very dull and incredibly impressive. NOBODY thought Fury was going to beat Wladimir, except the rabid Wladimir haters who picked everyone to beat him.

The point is, if you are unimpressed by a very unexpected win you're not understanding it in its proper context.

9. Quina74

Apr 25, 2019
    Did you even read anything I wrote?

It was not a dominant win. Props for winning in his backyard but it was anything but dominant

10. Rakesh

Rakesh Active Member Full Member

Jul 6, 2021
    This is what happens when Fury plays Wlad's game better than Wlad.

Boring, unimpressive, but went against the odds, that's the credit I give Fury.

11. Slyk

Slyk Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Fury went into the long reigning champs back yard as a 4-1 underdog and was clearly winning while in first gear. What did you want him to do, start throwing uppercuts from long range? This was Fury's big shot and he was winning the fight, the onus was on Vlad to take risk. This is the case in any fight where someone is being outboxed. No one is saying it was a masterclass, really, but it was shocking.

It's a tremendously significant win in historical terms.

12. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    If it was at all close, the judges would have given it to Wladimir Klitschko.

Finx, MarkusFlorez99, Sinew and 7 others like this.
  13. Drago

Drago Member Full Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Lets put it this way:

It was not a "master class" when you judge it as "normal" Boxing match, but it was a master class under the circumstances because of 2 reasons:

1) It was in K2 land.
    The Klitschko brothers built an empire in Germany and after Vitali became WBC champ again by defeating Sam Peter in October 2008, the K2 empire was born.
    Boxing in K2 was NOT like real Queensburry Boxing, it was like "holding and grabbing allowed, infighting forbidden", these were the rules of K2.
    To beat guys who are 6'6"(198cm) and 6'7"(201cm) you NEED infight if you are the smaller man, and they rarely fought guys their own size and/or reach.
    Wlad was allowed to clinch someone to death, and as soon someone was close, he grabbed him and the ref said "stop" and "break". There was bayically no chance.
    Povetkin tried to break the K2 pattern in 2013, but there you saw what did happen if you try, Wlad s complete grabbing and holding was at his best. In any NORMAL Boxing match he would have get disqualified. It was even worser as what Akinwande did against Lewis.
    Pulev tried it again in 2014, but he was too open.

2) It was a point win.
    Wlad was knocked out a couple of times before and later, be it KO or TKO.
    Wlad:
    Aged 22 -> TKOed by Puritty
    Aged 26 -> TKOed by Sanders
    Aged 28 -> TKOed by Brewster
    Aged 41 -> TKOed by Joshua
    But he NEVER lost a fight by points. I remember between 2000 and 2014 it was always the same: They all said NOBODY in the current era can outpoint him, even Larry Merchant if i remember correclty believed Wlad could not eve be outpointed by Lewis, Rahman, Holyfield or Tyson, only KOed by them.
    Fury did outpoint him. I personally believe Lewis could have done it too, but i think the 2000-2009 version of Holyfield, or the 2000-2005 version of Tyson, + the 2000-2010 version of Rahman, all of them would fail to win a 12 round decision over Wlad.
    But Fury did it. He was the ONLY one who was able to outpoint and outscore Wlad.

And so it has to be judged es "master class". Even the 28 years old AJ was not able to outpoint a 41 years old Wlad, at the stoppage it was VERY close, 2 judges had AJ in front by 1-2 rounds, 1 judge hat Wlad in front by 1-2 rounds.
    Fury won 9-3, it was never close and for the FIRST AND ONLY TIME EVER Wlad had only a KO chance to win, this was the rare thing.
    Usually his opponents could only win by KO, but in this case it was vica verca, he could only KO Fury but not win by points.

Finx, Sinew, Devon and 14 others like this.
  14. VBOX

VBOX JOURNEYMAN Full Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Nobody won that night, including the fans.

15. _Scott_

_Scott_ Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 7, 2015
    You might need glasses. Read the RBR here again. I was live in Dusseldorf, everyone saw that Fury schooled Klitschko, who simply couldnt pull the trigger anymore. I came to support Wlad so I am not biased.

Landed more jabs and three times the amount of power punches.

65% more punches landed, Klitschko throwing a headbutt, turning his back, etc. all showed us he was looking for a way out because he knew he was getting schooled.

Mickc, Holler, caine and 4 others like this.