Tyson Fury is exaggerated, he is not a great boxer

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by boxer_toxer, Jun 11, 2019.

1. HerolGee

HerolGee VIP Member banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2010
    He has yet to beat a prime world title class opponent, so yes, of course anyone saying he is great is overrating him above every other heavyweight who beat a prime world title class opponent (which is nearly all of them, by definition!).

2. Ironmanmt

Ironmanmt Member Full Member

Apr 23, 2019
    He clearly beat Wilder but I wouldn't consider Fury great due to the fact that he beat a guy that looks like he started boxing yesterday and who specializes in the windmill technique. The only thing Wilder has going for him is his punching power, which does make him exciting, but far from great. That goes for the heavyweight division in general.

boxer_toxer and The Long Count like this.
  3. Jacko

Jacko Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Fury is a skilled back foot boxer with decent foot work, good reactions, good timing, good counter punching skills, and he can switch stances well. Add his height to the equation and you have a very tricky opponent to deal with.

On the negative side, he is slow, and, these days, is almost exclusively a back foot fighter. This leads him to being about as active as his opponent. Against come forward fighters like Chisora he can work at a decent pace and look good. Against cautious, tricky fighters like Wlad and Wilder (who fight more conservatively due to Fury's style), he does just enough to nick the rounds. I can understand why he does this as, at world level, he isn't particularly good on the front foot. His early career showed he left himself open coming forward, and even today he looks awkward and clumsy when on the attack. This is why I have always fancied Joshua to do well against him as Joshua has the size to compete against him, but Joshua will go for it and throw in combinations. Joshua, whilst cautious, isn't overly so like Wlad and Wilder, so he will throw even if he is not fully sets due to the moving target in front of him.

All things considered, Fury is as good as you will get at HW today, and whilst he is no ATG, his size and style would give most HW's of any era a problem.

Loudon likes this.
  4. Blandman

Blandman Active Member Full Member

Jun 7, 2019
    Fury is an excellent boxer with phenomenal reflexes and a very good chin. He moves very well for his size and keeps his giant pumpkin head elusive. His giant size and awkward movements are deceiving, his style isn’t smooth, it’s just effective. What he lacks is top end power and speed but, he’s got enough to take him as far as his motivation allows.

5. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Do you think Calzaghe was a British hype job? Would Cunningham have done so well v Wilder? Which other boxers today could win that many rounds v Wilder? Is Wilder just another American hype job? Although there have been more great merican fighters than any other country in the world, for every Mayweather there`s a Broner, America constantly thinks it has the next big thing and ten they flop, Grany at heavyweight.

6. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    It was his awkward movement that made it so hard for Wilder to hit him.

Blandman likes this.
  7. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    AJ does through brilliant combos but against Ruiz he kept throwing the same combo and it got picked up on and timed, Fury`s offense is more predictable than his defensive movement, both fighters can be timed after throwing punches, but Fury moves his head away from trouble after punching while AJ`s head is right on the center line after punching, he hasn`t been coached properly and it might cost him if he fights Fury, it would be a great chess match, because Fury doesn`t have the power of Ruiz.

8. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    A lot of American fans have a bias against British fighters.

9. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Fury fought far better v Wilder than Shpilka and Washington.

10. Jacko

Jacko Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 25, 2008
    That's what I'm thinking. Joshua is the less skilled and more predictable, but I don't think Fury's power will trouble him like Ruiz and Whyte's did.

11. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Yes, it means AJ can make more mistakes without worrying about being knocked out, I think AJ fought great v Ruiz but his head was too stationary, if Ruiz had Fury`s power then AJ may have won, Ruiz only started landing more shots after he hurt AJ in the third.

12. vast

vast Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Fury is exceptionally mobile for a fighter his size.
    Very unique in that regard.

Loudon likes this.
  13. UniversalPart

UniversalPart Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Boxing needs characters like him.

The only thing that irks me is how biased and agenda driven the system is. In 2016, Fury was exposed as an anti-Semite, homophobic and a drug abuser and cheat.

Fast forward to 2018, he has had a personality transplant and is seen as the GOAT.

I suppose when there is an army of morons and casuals to exploit (the Conor McGregor model) for their money anyone can be given a pass.

14. northpaw

northpaw Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Every belt was his until his psychological unraveling. He lost nothing in the ring. In addition, the WBC belt should be his right now. I agree he needs to go ahead and make a grab at "reclaiming" them.

Loudon and UKboxingfan like this.
  15. Loudon

Loudon VIP Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    An awful thread.

You don't even want to debate the subject.

He made up his mental illness to duck challenges?

Really? Then why did he drop all of that weight to come back and fight an extremely dangerous fighter in Wilder, after just 2 tune ups?

If he didn't want to fight challenges, he'd have just retired.

Why has he just signed a 5 fight deal with ESPN?

He's scared of challenges, yet he's aiming to face Wilder again?

He couldn't defeat Wilder?

Everyone knows he beat Wilder.

He fought nobodies?

He fought Chisora.

Who deems him as the greatest ever?

This thread is absolute horse manure.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019