Tyson Fury Love Him or Hate Him

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by dandino, Jan 31, 2017.

1. dandino

dandino New Member Full Member

Jan 26, 2017
    Hi, everyone I have just joined the forum as I am writing an article on The Heavyweight Champion, I live in Morecambe and he lives on the street behind me so I do see him regularly that is why I am writing this article. I would just like a few thought on Fury and what different people from around the world think of him or anything thing interesting you can add.
    Also I have just started boxing haha about 3 month ago I have bought some Rival Performance gloves but they are already smelling pretty funky any tips would be appreciated I have read all I can find about How to clean boxing gloves on a site called http://fitnessfighters.co.uk/how-to...ormat=standard&_thumbnail_id=524&preview=true
    The thing is I have tried a few methods they suggest but to no avail, please help as I don't want to be the smelly guy in the gym :(

2. Hattonmad

Hattonmad Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 5, 2009
    I'm 25 and I'm from Dublin. I've been following boxing since I was old enough to find it on the telly. I idolised Ricky Hatton from his early days and never thought I'd like a boxer as much again.

That was until Tyson Fury came on the scene. I remember watching Steve Bunce's boxing hour on setanta sports and he was raving about a 22 year old 6 foot 9 heavyweight and I thought I've got to see
    this fellow box.

I became a fan on the back of Buncey's
    praise for Tyson and enjoyed every second of his career while active. I find him absolutely hilarious because you don't know what he's going to do or say next, nor does he and that's what's so refreshing about him. So many boxers pretend to be flawless, Tyson will tell you his flaws and take the **** out of himself. He doesn't take himself seriously which is so rare in boxing but you can see he's sensitive to the disgraceful criticism the media have thrown at him. He
    has old school views which he's fully entitled to, he's not a politician so who cares.

And behind the hugely entertaining maverick personality is a wonderful ability to box and alien like physique. How a man his size moves and boxes the way he does is incredible. I really think his size and natural boxing ability give him a chance v anyone in history.

Heavyweight boxing is boring without him. In my eyes we finally got the man to save the heavyweight division - things got really entertaining for a while - and that's why it's a tragedy he's not boxing now.

He's my favourite fighter of all time.

3. LondonRingRules

LondonRingRules Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Yeah he's really great for the sport, the way he accuses others of being on drugs whilst failing drugs tests for both PEDS and recreational drugs himself is brilliant, don't think any other boxer has been able to match that.

I also love the way his trainer said he was training really hard for the klitschko rematch, despite the fact Tyson himself said he hadn't trained in months (he's just that confident), which was excellent for fans who continued to book transport/hotels/tickets etc. Even better was the fact that Tyson was laughing about it twitter, he has such a great sense of humour, who can forget the wit he showed when he ran into a press conference dressed as batman.

I think the way he stands up for his beliefs is great aswell, who can forget the time he said that all gay people should be shot. The media clearly have it in for him, doing things such as quoting him and showing pictures of things he has written on Twitter, evil witch hunting *******s.

All in all a great guy.

Chalky likes this.
  4. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    He's a character. I think he's quite funny.
    He's said some bad stuff if you want to take him seriously, but Muhammad Ali said worse things and most the media who attacked Fury for bigotry seemed to be the same ones who hold Ali up as some sort of serious figure for humanity.
    Frankly, heavyweight champions are an odd bunch, a scandal-ridden bunch. Compared to Mike Tyson or even British heavyweights like Chisora and Hide, I think Fury's trangressions are mild.

As a fighter he's obviously very good. I thought he was a dreadful fighter when he started out and I didn't believe he'd amount to much but I was proved wrong. He started to show serious improvements around 2012, and if he hadn't imploded in 2016 I'd expect him to be experiencing his prime/peak right now. As it is, who knows whether he'll even be coming back or how he'll look if he does.

5. dandino

dandino New Member Full Member

Jan 26, 2017
    thanks for the replies guys appreciate it and yeah he is a character and not that I have asked him myself (not for me) but he will happily take pictures and chat to you. Despite how the media portrays him he is a down to earth guy, only recently my brother in law was chatting to him and his wife for half an hour at our local macdonalds.

Unforgiven likes this.
  6. ashishwarrior

ashishwarrior VIP Member Full Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Put your gloves in the freezer over night it will stop them smelling
    Best thing about Tyson was his tips on Twitter they cracked me up

dandino likes this.
  7. Sugar 88

Sugar 88 The Empire Struck Back Full Member

Feb 4, 2012
    With all due respect I couldn't think less of Bunce's opinion if I tried. The guy is an obnoxious moron who seems to have chanced his way to where he is.

On topic - I used to occasionally see Fury in Buzzrocks Caribbean takeaway in Manchester. I posted a photo of him with Marcus there at the time and have to say he was very personable. He answered my question about why the Price fight wasn't happening and at the time attributed it to money. I do think he thought that fight was going to be a real money spinner down the line. Obviously it didn't work out that way.

Ilesey and dandino like this.
  8. Sugar 88

Feb 4, 2012
    Totally agree with the last paragraph. I'd also say he's a much, much more likeable character than Ali just in a different time.

How Parkinson ever allowed Ali to speak to him the way he did is beyond me. There's no way I'd be called mental midget and have my intelligence questioned by a man who was semi-illiterate and had a double digit IQ. Contrary to what most people think the man was an easily manipulated moron.

Unforgiven likes this.
  9. CathyBarry

CathyBarry Active Member Full Member

Jan 10, 2016
    How disappointed were you when you found out he wasn't 6 foot 9 and took peds?

10. channy

channy 4.7.33 banned Full Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Tyson Fury, Wlads a devil worshipper, Classic.

Personally i think he is great for the game, controversial but hey controversy is good for boxing, people want to see some more, and we are having a ball with TF.

11. Octolony shore

Octolony shore Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 14, 2016
    This content is protected

Absolute bell end.

12. I Shot JR

I Shot JR Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2012
    He's a character although he has said some very misguided things.

I think he's quite intelligent and certainly is talented, I hope he fights soon and gets back in the mix.

13. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    I think Fury's one of those guys who says he doesn't give a f--k but he clearly does.
    As people who meet him say he is a likeable and personable down-to-earth man, I think he's a good man at heart, and it obviously pains him that he's become a "hate figure" and isn't adored.
    The problem is he's let it get to him too much. The best thing he could have done was dedicate himself to boxing and being a winning, fighting champion and in time people would warm to him, or not. They would at least have to give him credit for doing the business in the ring, but as it is he's doubted on that front too. Slapping Wladimir silly in a rematch would have shut a lot of people up.

In all honesty, I'm not sure his father and uncle have been completely good influences on him. It's inevitable that tensions arise. Credit to Peter Fury for his job as trainer but there's always going to be tension there when the fathers/uncles are living their dream through the younger generation, and make big money from it all too.
    I think a lot of Tyson's frustration and loss of motivation is asserting himself against family expectations, showing them who is boss. And I'm not sure what Tyson's promoter Mick Hennessey has actually done for him lately. The idea that Fury-Klitschko 2 would promote itself was clearly false all along. Again, just relying on Fury to carry it home for them.
    As far as I can tell, Tyson's wife Paris and their kids are what have prevented Tyson Fury from going completely off the rails and doing himself harm.

This is all speculation, amateur psychology and I might be completely off the mark.

14. Sugar 88

Feb 4, 2012
    Again, I agree. I'd also add that Fat Mick might be the worst promoter to ever oversee the career of a world champion boxer although Team Khan are running him close.

If you look at the job Hearn - smug pampered ***** that he is - did with Froch whilst he was still pretty much an amateur in the promoting game and then compare that with what Hennessy did then you see just what a joke of a promoter Mick is.

15. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    It's shocking really.
    If a promoter can't up his game with a "colourful" (controversial, loud-mouth) undefeated lineal heavyweight champion in his stable then he's got no business calling himself a promoter.
    Fury might never be box office magic but everyone knows who he is and he holds/held the most prestigious title in the entire sport.

Eddie Hearn is good at his job. There's no getting away from that.

Sugar 88 likes this.