Tyson Fury - Overrated, underrated or somewhere in between?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Heisenberg, Sep 23, 2019.

1. zulander

zulander Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Stylistically he's a nightmare, H2H he's a nightmare for anyone but the potential to be great isn't proven yet.

Accurate, Heisenberg and Twentyman like this.
  2. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    I have never rated him and been proved wrong in his 2 biggest World Title fights - underrated for me.

Accurate and Twentyman like this.
  3. ryanm8655

ryanm8655 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Yeah, a bit like Dillian Whyte, I’ve picked against him in his biggest fights. Though Wilder was only because he’d been out for so long.

4. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    He's far better than some give him credit for but he's a heavyweight that looks incapable of even dropping any of the elite heavies of his era and, like it or not, that will count against you in how you're viewed in that division. He's marketed himself impeccably in the last 18 months or so though, the link up with Claudio Lugli has made him appear like some Gypsy boxing equivalent of Rick James!

305th likes this.
  5. Aydamn

Aydamn Dillian Da Dissappointment Full Member

Jul 31, 2018
    But I am not talking about his fights, that's the whole point. I am talking about how he is viewed overall, and he is worshipped as if he has overtaken Muhammed Ali.

Some lady presenter on TV thought he was the actual champ when asked who was the champ right now. People here call him ATG, GOAT.

Walks through everyone. Hyping up his wins over weak opposition.

6. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    I’ve not seen one person on this section call Fury an ATG or GOAT.

ryanm8655 likes this.
  7. Aydamn

Jul 31, 2018
    I had this conversation with someone else who said the same thing "I've not seen..." then I dug up dozens of posts and threads. Hell, users even have it as their username for crying out loud.

Are we not allowed to talk about it? Is this what this is? Some FBI ting?

superman1692 and Camaris like this.
  8. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    He is the most charasmatic man in boxthing by a mile - hard to hate him and he will always have goodwill after getting off the floor in the 12th against Wilder.

Willis Brown likes this.
  9. ipitythefool

ipitythefool Prediction ? Pain Full Member

Mar 17, 2017
    I think he is a little over rated as a defensive master. He is a great mover for his size but he has lapses in concentration and isn't as hard to hit as some people make out. Wallin hit him flush several times (nearly stopped him in the 12th) and Wilder with his crude Windmills got to him. Still an excellent boxer but his defence was way better 4 years ago.

Clarence Gianni, TonyHayers and 305th like this.
  10. TonyHayers

TonyHayers Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 1, 2018
    I don’t think you’re looking hard enough then. In the last week he’s been referred to as ‘almost impossible to hit,’ hinting that he’s very much an all-time level defensive genius, as well as ‘clearly, at worse, the second best British heavyweight of all time.’ The Ali comparisons don’t help accusations that he’s somewhat overrated either, regardless of what the comparison is with.

The truth of the matter is that Fury is drastically overrated by some whilst at the same time being a broadly consensus top three fighter in an era where each of Joshua, Wilder and Fury could beat each other. His fights with Klitschko and Wilder, (much like Joshua’s fight with Klitschko and obviously Wilder’s fight with Fury) were close. I see no reason to suggest any more of them won’t swing back and forth in some way.

As a fighter I find him terribly boring. He doesn’t have much power and he snuffs our fights by trying to nick rounds on an ‘I’ll land five if you land four’ approach. The Klitschko fight was like watching a horror movie where the noise in the garden was just a creaking gate and the mysterious shadow was just the cat walking past a window. You may have been on the edge of your seat but when the end came it was all a bit mundane wasn’t it.

Camaris likes this.
  11. BAWA1980

BAWA1980 Member Full Member

Nov 29, 2017
    Fury was very much underrated until the Wilder fight.
    Even his win over Wlad was put down because of the way he executed the win. Basically by working out how to beat Wlad, he was called boring because he didn't want to go and get knocked out.
    After the Wilder fight I would say he has been rated just about right, edging on a little overrated by some.

12. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    I'll stick with overrated.
    He basically won both big fights he was in (officially 1-0-1) but in a boring, basically spoiling fashion. That's another part when he "saved" the division from boring safety first Wlad by being boring and safety first.
    And why is the Champion's backyard brought up every single time, as they did with Haye back in the day too? It's normal for a contender to challenge the beltholder or champion in their backyard. It's often mentioned when it isn't the case and it's the other way around.

The main part is that he has already shown that there are some styles that he has difficulty coping with, and being a sucker for the overhand right against clearly shorter opponents, so lack of depth in his resume isn't really a surprise. He also doesn't seem to be that master boxer some people claim as he regularly loses rounds. That can be due to very low punch output and lack of power but it isn't even near prime Klitscko brothers level of dominance, who both hardly ever lost more as 2 rounds, while in Fury's case even against clearly lesser competition.

Then there's the whole doping issue which casts a shadow over two of his best performances, keeps being swept under the carpet. I know guys like Holyfield and even Ali were caught cheating, and that didn't affect their statusvin history, but it's still there.

He can still turn out to be one of the greats, but it's getting more and more unlikely nowadays. Can he beat Wilder in the rematch? Sure! Do I expect him to get more as 3 succesful defenses if he does? Unlikely.

TonyHayers likes this.
  13. TonyHayers

TonyHayers Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 1, 2018
    I don’t think the result of the Klitschko fight was underrated. More the manner in which it happened.

It’s interesting to go back and look at the comments at the time. What is now (in some quarters) labelled an example of a defensive genius at work was largely seen as an exercise in total tedium with a lot of rounds whereby almost nothing happened. It’s fine to go in as an underdog with a game plan, but don’t expect everyone to fall in love with the performance if the game plan is so tedious.

14. Aydamn

Jul 31, 2018
    Oh reallly???? Fury not a pudding then yeah???

Mugging off the public with Wallins and Schwarz????

Not biased at all are we Jurgen?????

Is it because he is white?

T_S_A_R likes this.
  15. GTFUP

GTFUP Active Member Full Member

Dec 12, 2015
    Fury has benefitted from a boring bunch of HW’s with no character and an average bunch of fighters at the top compared to past fighters. Take nothing away from him though he’s a good fighter but not a best ever by a mile. Love him though he’s so watchable and speaks as he sees which is nice to see too.