Tyson Fury Shock Fight Against Cruiserweight Champion ‘All But Sealed’

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by spravedlivylev, May 25, 2023.

1. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    It wouldn't be Opetaia's first time in the division. He's fought six or seven times at heavyweight. All modern cruiserweights are heavyweights. They just dry out for weigh-ins.

And, I agree, he'd come to win. I don't expect him to, but, he's better than Otto Wallin. And Fury probably wouldn't give it his all until he needed to. Could be entertaining.

Certainly historic. Reigning World Heavyweight Champion vs. Reigning World Cruiserweight Champion in Australia. Sounds cool.

NullaLexInk likes this.
  2. NullaLexInk

NullaLexInk Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 10, 2022
    Y'know I had no idea he had fought at heavy before, but I ain't surprised. I even almost mentioned that bit about most cruisers just being heavyweights that are able to dehydrate to a lower weight myself, since if you look at the resume of most of the recent champs they fought there at least once, if not moving up permanently. Hell, Usyk's entire resume after Mchunu has fought at heavy at some point.

But that just reiterates my point, this fight ain't actually that bad. I give Fury a mountain of **** when he deserves it but this suggested fight is actually one of the better ones he's proposed recently. Doubt it happens but would be happy to be wrong. Also gives us a bit of a better idea how he'd fair against Usyk. Opetaia is definitely somewhere between Wallin and Usyk.

Dubblechin likes this.
  3. It's Ovah

It's Ovah I'm your huckleberry, that's just mah game Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Opetaia's far too dangerous for Fury to pick. Last time Fury fought a CW he got beaten from pillar to post and had to illegally maul his way to a win.

It'll be someone utterly gash he picks in the end. Fury's body is shot and he knows he's on borrowed time. His mind is also unravelling at the prospect of having to face Usyk at some point or retire and be called a coward. He knows it's a no win situation.

4. miniq

miniq Tyson Fury Undisputed HW Champion 18/5/24 banned Full Member

Oct 23, 2011
    That's such a cute opinion.

Fury splatters any cruiserweight in history not named Evander Holyfield or 30 year old Usyk.

5. vast

vast Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    This is a hideous joke. The fans deserve better from a HW champion. He’s basically holding the division hostage.

lordlosh and catchwtboxing like this.
  6. Rollin

Rollin Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 17, 2021
    No Masternak for Opetaia?

7. catchwtboxing

catchwtboxing Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Arum talked about this a couple of years ago.

Ironically it would still be Fury's fourth best opponent.

Last edited: May 25, 2023
  8. catchwtboxing

Jul 4, 2014
    We were told by the nuthuggers that he picked Chisora because he was preparing for Usyk early in the year.

So you are actually the one looking stupid already.

9. CleneloAnavarez

CleneloAnavarez Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 18, 2021
    Chisora is not a southpaw, and he is a plodder. Opetaia is neither, plus he is easily as big as Usyk.

You will look very stupid when Usyk loses a wide UD on the cards.

10. catchwtboxing

Jul 4, 2014
    The **** does any of that have to do with anything?

lordlosh likes this.
  11. MorvidusStyle

MorvidusStyle Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 11, 2017
    It's a weird and foolish choice if it happens because Fury will be slammed for it given that the guy is a cruiser, but he's probably better than many ranked HWs. I'm certain he's better than Ruiz, actually. He also might put up a good fight because if he can take Breidis' power, then might be tough to stop and so Fury will then be slammed if the cruiser does well against him, just like with the Cunningham fight.

12. catchwtboxing

Jul 4, 2014
    In other circumstances, it would not be a bad fight. The problem is that it does nothing to clarify a badly messy heavyweight division. Usyk has mandos on deck against Dubois, Hrgovic and Zhang. If Fury wasn't going to fight Usyk directly for the first undisputed in 20 years, he could have done us a favor and helped add some clarity by taking Zhang or Hrgovic.

And I don't want to hear that Zhang has to fight Joyce again, because they could have easily paid a little step-aside, or sweetened the pot enough to where Zhang could just breech the contract and pay Joyce. These things are usually enforced by some kind of penalty that Zhang could have just paid...but Fury's team does not want to pay anything.

If Fury or Usyk were undisputed, I would say this would be a very good, interesting fight.

13. Caliboxing

Caliboxing Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 28, 2007
    No one would've even criticized Fury that much if he said the Usyk fight is not happening for a while and I need fights similar to him, instead of ridiculing Usyk as a middleweight. Now it looks very bad if you fight anyone at the lower divisions, makes you look like a hypocrite dumbass.

Opetaia is actually a great choice for preparations as he's a southpaw that does some things like Usyk and is durable. He's a great boxer. I have no problem with this fight, just fight someone with a purpose instead of just BS. This is a better opponent than a lot of other inexperienced or washed up options he had before. Opetaia might actually embarrass him with his speed, movement at times. I doubt Fury makes any fight that makes sense.

spravedlivylev likes this.
  14. BM237

BM237 Member banned Full Member

May 25, 2023
    daamn so impressive he was able to win UD at home against 38 year old Briedis and that’s why you think he may end up doing better than usyk.

15. bandeedo

bandeedo VIP Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2007
    no they arent. no matter what happens. cause that aint erasing furys history.