Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Claw4075, Nov 23, 2021.
Who wins this in a 12 round all out brawl ?
Not going to pick a winner yet, but a few thoughts:
* Tyson didn't much like Wilder's brief flirtation with body punching. Cooney did a lot of that.
* Cooney was crude, but he wasn't nearly as crude as Wilder. He might box Fury better than one might think.
* One question is, can Cooney box off the back foot? Fury beat Wilder in Fight 2 by moving forward, bullying, and using his weight. Cooney doesn't have a much more robust frame than Wilder did. He may be similarly vulnerable.
* Fury is pretty darn difficult to stop, even though he can be KD'd. Even viewing Cooney in as favorable a light as we can, he probably doesn't exceed Wilder's ability as a puncher by much.
* Cooney didn't take punches all that well. (Neither did Wilder, to be fair...but look what happened to Wilder.)
* Cooney may have better stamina than Wilder, but Wilder himself fought long fights reasonably well before Fury forced a mauling mess on him.
Cooney might give a decent account of himself but I have to favor Fury. Tyson Fury showed he had a pretty good chin by taking the best Deontay wilder had to offer through three fights and even rose of the canvas to win - something Gerry never did. Fury has a good jab, decent movement and would be the first opponent Cooney ever faced who was even larger than he was..
I like Fury by ko late.
I sure do not like Cooney's defense at all against another tall guy. Sure didn't look so good against Dennis and this guy is mobile not a guy right in front of him. I don't see cooney hitting a moving target like this and after about 6 rounds, Gerry will fade and we will see if he can last 3 or 4 rounds.
Less than that if Fury makes him take his act on the road and fight in the UK====do not see Cooney as a road warrior in any circumstance.