Tyson Fury vs Wilder OFF

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by TBC-ASAP, Aug 30, 2020.

1. TBC-ASAP

TBC-ASAP Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 7, 2017
    I happily paid for the first two fights but I dont think I will for the 3rd. A lot of people will be similar I imagine. Fury is clearly 2 up and barring a one off huge punch the 3rd will be just as one sided as the 2nd

Gatekeeper and Oneirokritis like this.
  2. Hankey89

Hankey89 Member Full Member

Apr 9, 2016
    He obviously hits hard, but how people can say he is one the biggest punches ever is beyond me.
    To make that type of claim I would have to see him knockout a few guys with granite chins and excellent records. He has not done either.
    Knocking out old men and bums is nice, but it doesn't automatically mean you have ATG power.

3. Naked Snake

Naked Snake Active Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2020
    Wilder wasn't out on his feet. Tyson v Douglas round nine. Tyson v Holyfield round ten. That's a fighter out on his feet. Wilder was rocked pretty good but it's nothing having the ring doctor look at cuts that weren't there for an additional twenty five seconds couldn't fix. Ortiz is an old man with no tank. Of course Wilder finished him.
    The problem is that no one has even tried to do to him what Fury did. All of Wilder's other opponents make the mistake of letting him get comfortable, letting him settle into the fight and what happens? He clips them.

At least with Mike Tyson before and after Douglas, there were plenty of opponents who tried to use Douglas' strategy of boxing him at range and not allowing Tyson to hold. But what happened? They all got destroyed. Tyson fought some experienced competition. Larry Holmes, Michael Spinks (who ruined Larry's perfect 48-0 record), Trevor Berbick. Plenty of up-and-comers who had talent and would have had a belt if it weren't for Tyson, like Razor Ruddock. Wilder's never fought anybody like that, and he's never knocked out anybody who hasn't been knocked out before.

Wilder didn't just get beat by Fury, he got exposed. Twice

4. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    All his other opponents got starched because they couldn’t do what Fury did, because Fury is an elite level fighter. It took that level of fighter to dismantle and stop him. It wasn’t just a simple tactic that nobody else had thought of doing...they tried to apply it and got stopped.

He was out on his feet. The doctor stuff is beside the point, he was getting checked to make sure he was fit to continue cognitively not to check for cuts, cos he got battered in that round.

5. Naked Snake

Feb 25, 2020
    Well on this point we agree because all his other opponents were bums. A lot of them aren't even full time boxers
    You can't make that determination because he's never fought anybody even a level or two below Fury. It's been nothing but bums, then Fury
    Where? Show me where any of Wilder's opponents tried to apply the pressure or smother Wilder even remotely like Fury
    A fighter is out on his feet when he's pretty much beaten but not knocked out yet. Wilder was out of breath, that's all

6. Oneirokritis

Oneirokritis The Scourge of Stupid Idiots. Full Member

Dec 18, 2015
    I suppose any Heavyweight could look good ironing out a fat and uninterested version of Bermane Stiverne in their rematch and Scuba Scott.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
  7. Oneirokritis

Oneirokritis The Scourge of Stupid Idiots. Full Member

Dec 18, 2015
    If you want to be technical about it, Wilder also knocked out Fury in the final round of their first fight.

Then Fury rose from oblivion and won the rest of the round. :lol:

8. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    There's nothing to question.
    We've seen him finish fights with single punches, against good or decent opponents who were keen and in shape.
    Oh, and you mention Joshua ...... maybe AJ hits ****ing hard too !

Gatekeeper likes this.
  9. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    I could question Povetkin's power. Look at all the guys who went the distance with him in recent years. Easy to say he's not a "single punch" hitter too.
    But then, he just sparked a guy who many here had as a top 5 heavyweight, with a single punch.

I'd definitely rate Wilder way above average in power. And people need to realize that ALL heavyweights can hit anyway.

Scissors likes this.
  10. Smudge_

Smudge_ Teak tough Full Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Luis Ortiz hadn't been KO'd before.

11. Naked Snake

Feb 25, 2020
    Fair enough, one guy. He's old, too

12. Furious

Furious Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 2, 2017
    In fairness to Wilder; there’s a lot of anecdotal evidence from people who’ve fought him and sparred him that he has serious power. David Haye was waxing lyrical about it before Fury 2.

ryanm8655 and Clarence Gianni like this.
  13. smithshaun

smithshaun Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Oh he got up did he , I must have missed that!!

Oneirokritis likes this.
  14. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Fury won the first fight by a decision but was robbed, and absolutely cleaned Wilder out by a brutal stoppage in the second fight.

There is no justification for this fight. Other than it being in a contract and a contractual duty for the fighters.

As per usual, boxing drops the ball and fails to give the fans the fights that we want. We want Femi vs Fury next not this.

Scissors, Oneirokritis and Smudge_ like this.
  15. Naked Snake

Feb 25, 2020
    Pre-corona I'd have said yeah, pay Wilder the step aside money and let him fight the winner

Post-corona, both fighters (AJ and Fury) have been inactive for too long. They'll both want tune up fights against opponents they know they can beat

Scissors likes this.