tyson my belifs why we underate him

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Vantage_West, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Vantage_West

Vantage_West ヒップホップ·プロデューサー Full Member

Jul 11, 2006
    i found a guy at a party on friday talking about boxing....and i made a dash across the room ,im seriuos i go all crazy when somone says "i like boxing"...then i go on a rant about who would winn greb or hearns? the response is as follows > :blood

i found out he was a semi pro...just an am boxer who gets paid (i really doubt it as he is 17 but he did know his boxing). i got into a convo about how tyson was underated and of course this made him do backflips about how amazing tyson was and i agreed with him until he talked about how great his koes were.

then it struck me boxing fans dont look for koes....we may say we want a ko but a good fight is what we want. yet casual boxing fans or somone who just likes watching people koed. always want the ko it's put on the youtube highlight relles it's put on news rells on how bad boxing is ect.

tyson was a ko machine and transended (SP?) the sport he was a hiphop icon he was on the cover of time magazine he was the money cow of don king.
    and boxing critics and factomonsos were saying he is the dangerous/greatest thing on the earth.

but when he was stopped by douglas he became a used-to-be to everyone, people all around stopped beliving in him. every one knew who he was even today people think he is still fighting:patsch he is more well known than any boxer even ali has to compete here.

now when we boxing fans look back on him i feel some of us are taking in the celebrity tyson not tyson the fighter.
    and we as boxing fans are too insecure of looking like ordinary boxing fans who only see the spectacule of iron mike and beacuse of that we distant him from stardom to go "ha look at the noob who doesnt know his boxing", "becuase he prefers tyson over greb or langford" rofl lol lmao

this is a long ting way of saying it but in short

tyson is forced to be underated and disrespected by people who want to sound like they know what they are talking about ,becuase only ordinary sports fans know tyson.

we will look into are archives and find a man who had beaten alot of men and proclaim he was the greatest fighter of all time.

2. ironchamp

ironchamp Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 5, 2004
    I've always said the same thing. Tyson's celebrity and out of ring antics make it very easy to underrate him.

Everyone wants to sound distinguished like they are in the know so they tend to prefer fighters that set them apart from the casual fans.

3. FlatNose

FlatNose Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Fighters are usually rated historically by their entire careers, not just while they were still undefeated and on a roll.Tyson looked totally unbeatable for a while.Of course this was against less than a stellar bunch.Then, one of the bunch knocks Mike goofy, and his defecencies become glaring.Looking back at what Mike has done, and looking back on other past champs, I don't believe Tyson is under rated at all.

4. My dinner with Conteh

My dinner with Conteh Tending Bepi Ros' grave again Full Member

Dec 18, 2004
    He is a tad underrated in this section. But the best two guys he beat were a light-heavy and a grandpa. That's why he'll never be rated #1...by the sane anyway.

5. Sonny's jab

Sonny's jab Guest

Maybe people who are deliberately rating Muhammad Ali low are trying to be snobbish and elitist.

But with Mike Tyson, no.

He doesn't stack up against the very best.
    Unless I'm horribly under-rating Buster Douglas then I'll stick to my claim that Tyson is usually over-rated.

6. Marnoff

Marnoff Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 14, 2006
    Tyson head to head has a serious shot against anyone in history.

7. Bill1234

Bill1234 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Tyson is constantly overrated. People going around calling him #1 or a top 5-8 guy. Its rediculas. As MDWC said, the best guys he beat were an out of shape, 38 years old (17 years older than Tyson) grandpa, and a washed up lightheavy.

8. Cojimar 1945

Cojimar 1945 Member Full Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Spinks had only a few fights at heavyweight and his resume there falls far short of a number of heavyweights. Tyson beat a number of top contenders but failed to dominate his era.

9. UpWithEvil

UpWithEvil Active Member Full Member

Oct 17, 2005
    If he actually managed to bend Holmes over his knee and smack his ass a few times, it would have done about as much damage as 15 rounds of his punching did.

Don't get me wrong, I thought Spinks won the first fight by a slight margin, but "spanked"? Ninja please!

10. Vantage_West

Jul 11, 2006
    oh totally it was a shame he was hyped so early on in his career and fighting comp that were phasing past the 80's.
    im not saying he was top 10 material (i have him at 13 imho) jus he was in his prime the most devastating puncher his hand speed was trully awe inspiring for his size and reach.

im not saying he should be ranked top 3 just should get a bit of respect.

actully the same with frazier in certain places people saying frazier had a weak chin:huh

11. Vantage_West

Jul 11, 2006
    ok i know he wasnt the best heavywieght, and the lounge and the general forum stalkers always say tyson.

but im talking about his power ,his speed (with power not just one shot) his elusivness his defencive abilties his dashing speed. his heart maybe he would give up but he didnt stop he took a beating in the process.

it's this snobbishness towards him he was hard to beat even a washed up tyson was beating danny williams every round until his knee gave way.

12. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Tyson was a great fighter. But the guys who go on about him being deadly head to head have to take the following into consideration.

Tyson was very, very, very, very good at one thing. He didn't have a lot in the way of Plan B. This makes him vulnerable to other types of style. That's the way it works.

He was taken the distance by guys - who were admitedly just in survival mode - far, far, far inferior to some of the guys he'd by matched with head to head. Well, there is no doubt that some of these great fighters would be able to survive whilst dishing out serious punishment.

Tyson was mentally weak. Everyone talks about Rooney. The very fact he fell apart so dramatically without Rooney and Cus demonstrates a mental weakness inherant to the man. That weakness may have shown itself in the ring when he hit serious trouble against Ali, Louis, Johnson, whichever great fighter may be being discussed. Boxing is a composite sport - what is the story with blaming Rooney's absence for everything? - if he's absolutey unable to function at his best without this man he'd have trouble at the very, very edge of the abyss, where he would find himself against greats.

He was a short heavyweight with short arms.

He had poor temperament.

Taking all of this into account it's hard for me to seriously regard him as #1 or anything like. I have him at #11 at the moment, the highest i've had him is #10.

His strengths meant he would give anyone a fight. But I beleive any good fighter would have a chance to beat him.

He has NEVER beaten a great fighter to cast doubt upon that statement.

13. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    I Am Legend, I don't understand what you mean.

Do you mean that most people have Tyson around 11 and I have a vested interest in maintaining his position there or there abouts?

14. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007

You're a strange, strange guy!

I don't hate Tyson. I like him. I like his fights. I grew up watching him.

Interesting you should say that it's "bull****" that he has short arms. He does.

I agree with you that many hold the wins over the distance against him like a loss and that is a joke. But why so touchy? The fact that he was carried to the bell by contenders is significant, especially when trying to decipher an ATG's chance for carrying him the distance.

A lot of this is subjective. Sometimes some dialogue on the site provides an insight, straightens you up, makes you see something that you didn't see before. You change your mind.

But here is an incontrivertable fact: if you think that i would put Tyson "near the top ten just enough where won't seem an obvious hater" to appease prissy little nuthuggers like you you are mistaken.

If I thought Tyson #20 I would say so. If he was #70 you would know.

I think he's 11 so I have him at 11.

Let me ask you a question. If Tyson wasn't mentally weak why did he mentally crumble?

15. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    :lol:

They're after you Legend. They're after you bud.