Tyson statistically proven to punch harder than Foreman

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by InMemoryofJakeLamotta, Nov 12, 2019.

1. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    I like your statistics, but respectfully agree to disagree.

2. Sangria

Sangria You bleed like Mylee Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Tyson doesn't have the heart? Now you're just ****in trolling. Yeah you all you had to do is stand there and take Mike's best shot without quivering and Mike folded and straight up quit on his tool and cried for Cus.

Foreman didn't have the heart of Frazier.

Bonavena didn't have the heart of Frazier.

Did Ali have the heart of Frazier?

Holmes is not dismantling Tyson. Cus's whole reason of plucking Tyson out of the hood was because he saw someone he could mould with the style to beat the Ali's and Holmes'. Cus knew what it took to beat that style. Tyson was the perfect foil. Holmes is my second favorite heavyweight, by the way, and Tyson dismantles him.

3. Sangria

Nov 13, 2010
    Prove me wrong, respectfully...

4. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    I guess you missed the glaring part of my post where i pointed out thomas mentioned Morrison as the hardest puncher he faced?

Tyson tko 6
    Morrison tko1

What was that you were saying about the in ring results speaking for themselves?

Tubbs was stopped 5x thats not the record of a "durable" fighter. He also intentionally showed up overweight for the tyson bout despite being offered a bonus to get in shape.

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  5. Bill1234

Bill1234 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Most of Tyson's knockouts came from people being surprised by the punch or being nailed with a combination. He's a completely different kind of puncher than a Foreman or Shavers. Numerous people (usually guys who have competed at the top) who fought Tyson said that others had more power than him. Enough people said similar comments about him as a puncher to where at some point it holds water, especially when they go into similar detail.

You've been fairly aggressive with people not rating Tyson's power as highly as Foreman and basing what you're saying on the film of their knockouts, but you seem to combining overall punching skill with power. I don't think anybody is questioning Tyson was a great puncher, and frankly I think many would argue he's a better puncher overall than Foreman. That doesn't mean he's a harder puncher though. There are so many different variables that lead to a knockout, and Tyson had several which lead to fun knockout reels to watch. Guys with fast hands, good accuracy, and good pop tend to have the best knockout reels because they are catching people more consistently with punches that weren't seen and they can land on people more flush without time to prepare for the blow. It doesn't mean they're the hardest puncher around.

With a Tyson knockout, most of guys were caught by punches they didn't see coming and usually it happened so quickly that it was essentially like they got hit with a sucker punch. With a Foreman knockout, they saw the punches coming. They knew what was happening, and they were physically incapable of withstanding the blow....yet still were knocked around.

6. Sangria

Nov 13, 2010
    Nice novel. Dude, spare me the lecture! Yep, just like Lou Savarese and Alex Stewart survived Foreman's shots, as did china chinned Tommy Morrison, and yet 2 out of the 3 mentioned lasted less than a complete round against a diminished Tyson.

7. young griffo

young griffo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 18, 2006
    Foreman had about 40 fights before losing to Ali. He didn't come back from Zaire the same fighter but physically he was still prime no doubt. He was still in his 20's so he had to be.

Same as Tyson when he got ktfo by Douglas. Undefeated, less that 40 fights, no real wear and tear and still only 23. So why some Tyson fanboys wail "not prime, not prime" whenever that arse kicking gets brought up is ridiculous as I'm sure you agree going by your post.

8. Bill1234

Bill1234 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 28, 2007
    A diminished Tyson was still way faster, more accurate, and a far better combination puncher than Foreman was....especially a 40+ year old Foreman who was measured and took his time....unlike Tyson who relied on his strategy to get the KO ASAP.

Ray Mercer and Lennox Lewis blasted Morrison out. I guess they're harder punchers than Foreman.
    Evander Holyfield decked Savarese solidly. Hell, Savarese got stopped shortly after his fight with Foreman. Guess they can crack better than Foreman as well.
    Michael Moorer topped Stewart less than a year before Foreman did. We got another that hits harder than Big George.

9. young griffo

young griffo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 18, 2006
    How did Kevin McBride and Danny Williams remain upright for long enough to stop Tyson or make him ***** out if he was such an amazing puncher?
    Foreman was a full decade older than Tyson was when he was beating these guys (although not getting the KO) whereas Tyson was losing to these scrubs who werent even in Stewart or Savarese's class when he was a comparitive youth.

What happened to Mike's power if he was so awesome?

Foreman still one punch KO'd an undefeated 26 year old heavyweight champion as a 45 year old to win the title. Tyson at the same age was reduced to knocking out Zach Galifianakis on the Hangover, and not doing a very convincing job of that.

Glass City Cobra likes this.
  10. sauhund II

sauhund II Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 8, 2008
    And the village idiot award goes to.....

Thomas fought Morrison F O U R years later and L O S T two out his previous 3 fights......and Thomas quit in his corner after the first round, you never saw this "fight", lol.

Thomas had one loss on his record when he faced Tyson in 1987 and got obliterated by the combos of all combos when he hit the deck for good...he was completely out.

Mike Tyson was the ONLY one who genuinely stopped Thomas on the canvas until his very last fight.........

Now back to your safe space.

Sangria likes this.
  11. Sangria

Nov 13, 2010
    Yep, and 37 of those fights were against **** opposition. That's all I needed to say. Oh, and Foreman saw God at some arena he figured was a nudist colony.

12. Sangria

Nov 13, 2010
    Where was Foreman at 20 years old? Dude didn't fight a live body till, well, his title fight against Frazier. And even then he lasted 2 more fights as champ against glass joes and then puts on theee dumbest performance against a guy whose prime left him standing in line refusing induction to dem Viet Cong.

You Foreman fans need to stay off the sauce.

13. Sangria

Nov 13, 2010
    God forbid Foreman fight a live body in his comeback. I mean, c'mon bro, ALEX STEWART??? I've seen some circus freak mongoloids before, I've watched the Elephant Man as well as every Friday The 13th, but woo wee Foreman's face won THAT competition hands down. All to a guy who lasted 2 minutes against...forget it.

14. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    One of the best posts I've ever seen on this site tbh.

15. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Only people I think best a prime Frazier are Ali and Liston which puts him in pretty elite territory.