tyson v spinks myth?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by TIGEREDGE, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Luigi1985

Luigi1985 Cane Corso Full Member

Feb 23, 2006

You talk about apples, I talked about oranges. He said that Spinks legacy is better, and I said that Spinks did nothing at HW, beside beating twice an older champion in Holmes (one time very controversial), Tangstad, who was not even in Europe one of the best, and Cooney, who had 2 fights in 3 years and was totally shot. Now compare that to Walcott or Schmeling. I didn´t mean that Spinks wins over Holmes weren´t good or so, but not as impressive as Walcott´s career for example...

2. brownpimp88

brownpimp88 Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 26, 2007
    Walcott only beat blown up light heavyweights, he never beat a good heavyweight that is more than 210lbs.

3. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    You have some valid points Luigi. And in truth I think that because Walcott had a lot more fights in the division than Spinks, that he probably deserves to be rated higher as a heavyweight. Consider however, that his best win was against a past prime ex-middleweight in Ezzard Charles who had previously beaten Walcott on two occasions, and we can't rate Walcott too much higher than Spinks in my opinion.

Also, Spinks won the heavyweight title in only his first attempt- a huge accomplishment for a lightheavyweight in his heavyweight debut. Walcott failed on 4 previous occasions to capture the crown. In a more modern era or one that was just more competitive, its not likely that he would have recieved another opportunity.

4. Sonny's jab

Sonny's jab Guest

Spinks looked anxious, probably was scared. But he looked to be attempting to fight back when he got KO'd.
    He didn't take the easy way out. He threw a right hand at Tyson and got taken out by a REAL shot.

Spinks gets a bad rap on this. He was throwing a punch and standing his ground when the end came.
    He wasn't hanging off Tyson like Bonecrusher did, or running laps round the ring like Alfonso Ratliff, or going down without being hit like Bruce Seldon.
    To be fair, Spinks went out like a fighter. A seriously overr-matched and under-confident fighter perhaps, but a fighter nonetheless.

5. TIGEREDGE

TIGEREDGE Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Most fighters would of been overmatched against tyson on that ni9ght

6. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Fair call Sonny. Futch actually lamented that Spinks decided to slug it out. Some may laff, but that's roughly what Eddie said, he panicked a bit went away from their gameplan.

7. ChrisPontius

ChrisPontius March 8th, 1971 Full Member

Oct 4, 2005
    Wasn't that advice of his big brother?