Tyson Vs. Bonavena. Could Oscar Win?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mexman, Nov 14, 2007.

1. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    I agree with his comment.

2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    I'd say Tyson would win by late TKO or a hard-fought decision.
    Bonavena is the most underrated heavyweight of that era. He would be the best Tyson beat.

3. JackSilver

JackSilver Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 24, 2017
    Maybe the Holmes fight was a bit of payback for the classless way that Ali played and carried an injured Floyd Patterson just so that he could mercilessly punish him more both verbally and physically.

Ken Ashcroft and red cobra like this.
  4. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Bonavena would not see the last round,I doubt he gets to the tenth.He was dropped by much lesser,slower punchers than Tyson.Anything Oscar could do Tyson could do much better!Therefore there is no basis for anyone picking Oscar or suggesting that it would be a titanic struggle for Tyson.Tyson fought and dominated several men better than Bonavena let's not pretend otherwise!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  5. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    Oscar was a different style to Tyson. It makes no sense to say anything he could do Tyson could do better. Tyson couldn't replicate the Bonavena style and I don't see why he'd want to. But let's not underestimate how effective Bonavena's style was. He'd crowd, smother and frustrate. He was rough and hurtful and strong.

No, I can't see "several men better than Bonavena " on Tyson's win column.

I pick Tyson to win. I don't give Bonavena much chance of winning at all. He's a very clear underdog. Tyson's a very strong favourite. But I'd expect a tough fight.

6. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Exactly, ...I don't cry for Ali here...he deserved it...what goes around comes around.

7. KernowWarrior

KernowWarrior Bob Fitzsimmons much bigger brother. Full Member

Jul 12, 2012
    I see Tyson winning, but by god Oscar would put up helluva fight, Oscar would be expected to lose anyway, so he would have no pressure upon him, wheras if it got to 'fighting in the trenches' and Tyson was not getting best of the fight then maybe Tyson might start to unravel.

8. FrankinDallas

FrankinDallas Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    The same reason people watch car races....to see someone killed or maimed.

9. Radrook

Radrook Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 24, 2017
  10. Hookandjab

Hookandjab Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Remember Bonavena vs Ellis? Oscar didn't do very well because Jimmy was a sharpshooter. Ellis decked him twice and even had him on the run at times. Tyson was much faster and deadlier than Jimmy. Mike would stop Oscar late in the fight.

11. Radrook

Radrook Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 24, 2017
    What did he have against Patterson? Was it something to do with not calling him Ali as that other boxer had done?

12. Sangria

Sangria You bleed like Mylee Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    No

13. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    He would finish him early and he wouldn't be in the top 5 best that he beat.

mcvey likes this.
  14. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Tyson has quicker hands, quicker feet, a better chin, a bigger punch,better defence, better variety of punches,more all round skills.
    In which area is Bonavena superior to Tyson? Tucker,Bruno,Williams,Thomas,Ruddock were all better than Bonavena,I'd also pick Bonecrusher and Tubbs to beat him .
    What is Bonavena's best win? A 37 years old washed up Zora Folley or in and outer Karl Mildenberger who never beat a rated fighter?
    Tyson is a top ten all timer imo[9] . When Oscar stepped up in class he lost.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  15. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    I can't imagine Bruno, Tubbs or Williams doing as well against Frazier and Ali as Bonavena did.

It's become fashionable to overrate Tyson's opposition. I guess his resume needs it.

Let's say Marvis Frazier beats Bonavena too.

Why does Bonavena have to be superior in any area, mcvey?
    I'm not picking Oscar to win.
    I'm saying Bonavena would give Tyson a decent fight, that's all.
    It's hardly a flattering statement about a guy who already gave very tough fights to BETTER heavyweight ALL TIME GREATS.
    And that's reality.