Tyson vs. Douglas II.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by VG_Addict, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016

If is a 40 pound word in a Buster Tyson rematch, if Buster weighs in, in the low 230's if he's got the motivation and his weight would be the signal he was he could beat Tyson again though I believe it would be a decision .If Buster controls the fight like he did in the first one Tyson would not respond well, as he did in the Evander rematch. But it's all one big IF.

2. sauhund II

sauhund II Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 8, 2008
    The true Douglas showed up against Holyfield.......fact not fiction

The quintessential flash in the pan................could would should etc etc......he never did, before or , another fact.

Those Tokyo circumstances would never ever align again.....another fact.

He caught a disinterested Tyson on the right night in the right place and the right time...............and then like the shooting star he was never found his fighting heart ever again.....some say he never had one and his Mom fought for him in Tokyo.

Holyfield Buster most likely would not make it out of the first round, he would find a soft spot to quit real quick.

The denial is real.......his OWN freaking team refused a re match with Tyson and went for Holy.

Buster was kept away from Steve Wynn until they could not hide him anymore and when Wynn saw the obese Douglas he wanted to cancel the fight and realized he was conned by Team Douglas but it was too late , the Promotion was too deep into mit to stop............and Steve Wynn never ever hosted a Mega fight after the Douglas/Holyfield affair.......he was pissed beyond pissed and Buster collected 30 mil for laying down.......again the real Douglas showed up.

On his comeback trial he was waxed by Saverese and basically ko'ed by Monaco by he faked it by a after the bell shot and despite getting 10 min to recover he refused but was awarded the victory............if he would have come out freaking professional negative fight record holder Monaco would have stopped him.

Even McBride Tyson would put that Buster in the morgue.

Sangria likes this.
  3. Alphafighter

Alphafighter Active Member banned Full Member

Dec 4, 2017
    Douglas would have been koed any other day. That fight was just perfect timing and placement with the best douglas vs the worst Tyson. There is a reason why Douglas didn't want the fight again

Sangria likes this.
  4. Alphafighter

Dec 4, 2017
    Tbh Douglas should have been counted out in round 8, the referee himself admitted that he counted slowly and was determined to help Douglas get up

5. Alphafighter

Dec 4, 2017
    To be honest even though the Douglas defeat was awful and embarrassing, Tyson sleeps comfortably at night knowing full well the vast majority of people know that it was a one off performance and that he at his best would have koed him. He doesn't even feel the need to talk about it as everyone else does the talking for him in large numbers and the fact that it was Douglas who refused to rematch him

6. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Where can i see the proof of this?

Tyson got the same count Douglas did. Long 10 counts has been common forever. If anything it's better to err on the long side than the short and being a humans/refs count it is seldom going to be precise particularly given the drama of a knockdown.

7. Alphafighter

Dec 4, 2017
    There's a documentary where the ref admitted to the same

8. rski

rski Well-Known Member Full Member

May 12, 2013
    The majority of people believe Tyson beats Godzilla and his uncle. Like I say in my post, I’m somewhere between. Tyson wasn’t fully prepared for the fight of his life and Douglas posed stylistic problems mike would always have trouble with, the jab, the movement and ring generalship of Buster, he was fantastic. But he wouldn’t replicate that night imo.

Tyson does talk about this fight, but changes his mind like the wind. One minute he goes with the fan theories, as you say, these reasons have been made for him. Other tines I heard him say he knew he was in trouble early because he couldn’t get to Douglas. Tyson says a lot of things I don’t take seriously, he picks and chooses his truths. It’s obvious I’m a fan of Tyson’s but I can be realistic, I’m happy to point out his strengths, but also his weaknesses.

9. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    This argument is sheer nonsense.

There is no rule or convention that a count has to be ten seconds, and there never has been.

Most counts are a little over, because of the clear and commanding tone in which they have to be given.

10. steve1990

steve1990 Active Member Full Member

Jul 7, 2012
    Probably because didn't want to deal with Don King since King tried to screw him out of the title.

Unforgiven likes this.
  11. sauhund II

sauhund II Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 8, 2008
    Oh poor Douglas.......so he rather screwed 30 mil out of Steve Wynn.....what a nice fella that Buster is ............that Pizza he ordered and ate on fight night he billed to the Mirage as expenses........

12. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    After the way that King cynically tried to cheat Douglas out of the title, I have every sympathy with Douglas's refusal to fight Tyson!

It was poetic justice at its best!

13. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Tyson was on his way to becoming as skilled as Loma while training with Rooney, I feel he would have become the greatest heavyweight of all time, he was all over the place without Rooney, he didn`t try anything in there.

14. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    I think if they fought 10 times, Buster Douglas only wins that fight in Tokyo.

Tyson didn't need Kevin Rooney. He was back in the ring twice that year against Tillman and Stewart and wiped them out. And he came back the following year with two wins over Ruddock.

Douglas, after beating Tyson, was finished.

Buster summoned everything he had on the biggest night of his life, and he won. Nobody can ever take that away from him.

But he couldn't do it twice, like he proved against Holyfield.

He did it once. That was good enough for him.

Tyson wins the return early, with Rooney or without, in a round or three.

15. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Tyson was nowhere near his best v Ruddock or Stewart.