Tyson vs Holyfield in round 3 of their 2nd fight

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by AngryBirds, Jan 25, 2023.

Could Tyson have scored a win/draw had he kept fighting like he did in round 3?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  2. No

22 vote(s)
    81.5%
  1. AngryBirds

AngryBirds Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 3, 2022
    I've noticed few people ever seem to focus on this round of the fight prior to the bite. Its a shame really because while most people assume Holyfield simply dominated Tyson, which he mostly did, this one round disproves the typical view that Tyson was simply no match for the guy.

I don't know if I would classify it as being a domination, but Tyson certainly beat Holyfield to the punch every second of that round AND outboxed him at that. For the first time against Tyson, Holyfield looked rather puzzled because he mostly chose to cover up and back off. The Tyson we saw here looked somewhat like his 80's self in that he was throwing combinations, dodging and being the one in charge instead of getting bullied.

Had this fight continued the way things were going here, I think there's a very good chance that the commentators would've been right in that Tyson could've even the score with Holyfield and I think he'd have likely gotten a knockdown at some point to tip the judges scale in his favor for a win.

As a quick note, Tyson also had some success against Holyfield in the first match back in round 5 when he listened to his trainers and started throwing combinations + hits to the body. Holyfield again covered up and backed off.

Round 3 starts at 28:55

This content is protected

Sangria likes this.
  2. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
  3. Dynamicpuncher

Dynamicpuncher Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 14, 2022
    As you've already pointed out Tyson had a similar round vs Holyfield in their 1st fight, but the very next round Holyfield dropped him in the 6th round, and halted his momentum immediately.

To me it looked Tyson was already frustrated, and just fought with anger in that round as evident with the ear bite. Had the fight carried on I see Holyfield winning again. Holyfield had already buckled Tyson in the 1st round, and history has shown Tyson has never come from behind in any fight. Nor is he noted for his late stoppage power.

4. NewChallenger

NewChallenger Member banned Full Member

Oct 17, 2020
    Here is the deal with that.
    Evander really exposed Mike,before Evander,everyone looked at Douglas like a fluke so he was still intimidating. After Evander no one seemed really afraid anymore.
    The thing is, I feel like the reason Mike bit his ear,wasn't primarily because he was angry. You're in a fight,this is the perfect time to beat someone up. I think he felt the same thing Joshua felt after he blew up after Usyk. Mike found out that he just wasn't as good as he believed.

williams7383, young griffo and Terror like this.
  5. Terror

Terror free smoke Full Member

Mar 22, 2010
    To me, it seems like he was just ready to give up, and I wouldn't give up in a round I was dominating. I don't really see it from watching the round. He came out basically trying to bite Holyfield and throwing wild shots around looking for that opportunity. So idk how that produces a winning round of boxing. Every punch he landed was kind of an ugly sweeping shot or partially blocked. Already fighting top-heavy by this point, was Tyson, with not nearly enough leg drive. This fight was pretty good and if Tyson fought it honestly and didn't quit, he may have produced a moment that made us think--but I don't see it here.

6. Barrf

Barrf Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 19, 2021
    He was winning that round. But that fight was turning nasty and mean even before the bite. It would have just turned into an all out brawl without the bite, and, for whatever reason, Holyfield was better at hurting Tyson than Tyson was at hurting Holyfield. I'd think Holyfield's higher volume punching, proven ability to hurt Mike, durability, and warrior heart would carry him through a brawl like that.

So, nope, I don't think Tyson could have won, not the way the fight was going.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
    Reinhardt and swagdelfadeel like this.
  7. Barrf

Barrf Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 19, 2021
    How would peak Holyfield, Lewis, or Bowe have done against Tyson's exact fight lineup on his way to the title? They'd have walked through the entire division on the way up too. Not to take away anything from Tyson, but his rise looked so wildly impressive because he was the only big dog around.

Holyfield proved there are other big dogs out there too and, if you're not one, you better be afraid of all of them.

8. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016

What are you looking at? Tyson landed a few solid punches that did nothing to Evander who kept coming forward and was out manning Mikey on the inside . Tyson bit him because he knew what was coming, another beating.

9. NewChallenger

NewChallenger Member banned Full Member

Oct 17, 2020
    Run through the division?
    I do believe that Bowe, Holyfield and Lewis would have ran through the division too.

10. sauhund II

sauhund II Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 8, 2008

LOL@you.....

Holyfield was almost derailed by crack head Cooper.....needed two fights aginst cannonfodder Stewart and the first fighter with a pulse in Bowe he lost to..

Lewis needed to come from behind to get to British Bodybuilder Bruno and was stopped by another crack head.....

Bowe had his hands full with washed up Tubbs /Coetzer.....

None of the above goes undefeated until Douglas in the same time frame.

I see that forum gospel "expert" opinion by people who dont even knopw how to wrap hands is still alive and well...............a fighter who already lost focus before jail, sits in jail for close to 4 years and fights less than a dozen rounds in almost 5 1/2 years and is supposedly the same fighter or better ,he was before he went in.........................hell, Wilder and Fury should go to jail too to get improvements.......maybe Usyk needs a few years in prison too to reach his full potential.

Holyfield you say is the "Big Dog".................the two Tyson victories are his only wins he can hang his hat on.....and according to you Tyson is shid anyways so this win means shid, correct..................noooooooooooooooo , Tyson is only great for Holyfield/Lewis resume enhancer vs anyone else he is no good.

Fact : Holyfield is 1-2 vs Bowe..........0-2 vs Lewis.............1-1 vs glass cannon Moorer................1-1-1 vs the Heavyweight fraud Ruiz who did not only get beat once but twice by former Middle weights...............so thats a "Big Dog " for you.

MrFoFody and Sangria like this.
  11. ThatOne

ThatOne Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 13, 2022
    I will never understand getting so frustrated with your opponent you bite him. Rabbit punch him , yeah, hit him on the break, yeah, hit him in the nuts, yeah but biting him...

12. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005

Knocking out the guy that knocked out Tyson in just two rounds hung his hat quite nicely.

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  13. Sangria

Sangria You bleed like Mylee Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Extremely winnable fight for Mike. Hell even the first fight was winnable going into that 10th round. Holyfield was gassed to the guts.

How can people say the fight was a forgone conclusion when Tyson was having his best round, was in better shape than the first bout, had at least better trainers and was pacing himself?!

Listen guys, Mike didn't intentionally try to quit. He was frustrated that Mills Lane wasn't catching the headbutts. Pre prison Tyson would've butted Holyfield right back. But this Tyson was a spoiled and pampered twit.

But no, Mike wasn't trying to quit. He snapped and lost his mind for a moment. It's happened to better, and worse, men in the history of athletics.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
    mirexxa, Entaowed and MrFoFody like this.
  14. Sangria

Nov 13, 2010
    I don't think Holyfield buckled Tyson. He caught Tyson with a shot in the 1st and pushed him back to the ropes where Mike countered but was thwarted.

15. Sangria

Nov 13, 2010
    Bull****. Holyfield wasn't exactly dominating Tyson. By the end of 3 Evan Fields won 2 round to Tyson's 1. Mike was doing better things in there and despite throwing less combinations I could tell he was slowing his work rate down in case it goes 12.

In other words Mike was fighting smarter. He was worried about the headbutts causing cuts without the referee acknowledging them.

mirexxa likes this.